+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

laid off on closed work permit,sep 2014 expiry- How can I legally stay in canada

Angel1981

Jun 29, 2014
Hello All,

I am on a closed work permit that is about to expire in the first week of September 2014. I got laid off recently. I want to stay back and look for jobs. Unfortunately, a new LMIO has been released that has strict regulations to employers applying for new work permits. I wonder if any employer would show interest in employing me under such strict regulations. Hence I am a bit pessimistic that I would find a job any soon. I will be applying for Canadian permanent residency under Canadian experience class, in couple of weeks, as I have exactly one year of Canadian work experience. But the current processing time is at least 9-12 months.

Will I be eligible to apply for an extension of my stay? If so, what is the procedure? Will I be able to get it extended until I get my PR?

Are there any other ways to stay back in canada, legally?

I really appreciate your answers/solutions.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Angel

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Apply for CEC. The first stage of approval is called AOR which usually comes in 2-3 months.

Once you have received that you can apply for BOWP which basically allows you to work for any employer while your PR is being processed.

In rare circumstances if you haven't received AOR but are quite positive you are about to receive it shortly, i have read of people who applied for BOWP without AOR, but their AOR was processed along with BOWP and still received it.

Update:
As long as you have applied for BOWP BEFORE the expiry of your current wp (being laid of prevents you from working, but not from staying till its expiry), you can continue living under implied status i believe. Also if you have worked for a year and paid Employment Insurance, you might be eligible to receive some money to support you. You have to explore the details, but that is what EI is deducted for.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sure, if you meet other conditions.

in case of FSW the name of first stage approval is different from AOR.

"Have received confirmation from CIC that their permanent resident application is eligible under one of the four Economic Classes (FSWP, CEC, PNP and FSTP)"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2012-12-17.asp

UPDATE:
This is a better reference and gives much more specific details
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp