+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

laid off on a closed work permit

kashatxx

May 8, 2014
Hello!

I have a question to which I couldn't find a definitive answer in this forum and google.

I have a closed work permit valid until 2015 but I got laid off.

1. I know that I'm legal in Canada until the work permit is valid but what status do I have? Visitor?

2. If I find a new employer with LMO for me can I just go to the border and say that I have a valid work permit and need to change the employer? or is there a different process for that??

Thank you!!

kashatxx

May 8, 2014
anybody?

I found a new employer with lmo. i told him i have visitor status since i didn't want to disclose that i was laid off after 3 months.
do i have a visitor's status??

can i just go to the border with a new lmo and employment contract and get a new work permit??

Thank you to those that see this post and give valuable info!!

halo4me

Dec 13, 2012
kashatxx said:
anybody?

I found a new employer with lmo. i told him i have visitor status since i didn't want to disclose that i was laid off after 3 months.
do i have a visitor's status??

can i just go to the border with a new lmo and employment contract and get a new work permit??

Thank you to those that see this post and give valuable info!!
you need apply new work permit with LMO online, and of course go to the border to active if you don't need visa.

kashatxx

May 8, 2014
Thanks for the reply!

Are you sure?

I was told that I don't need to apply for a work permit, I can get a new one at a border crossing between Canada and the US.

And what is my status if I have a valid work permit but no job? Am I a visitor? Temporary resident?

Thank you in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You are here on a work permit, so your status is still worker, even without a job. Not everyone can apply for a work permit at a Port of Entry.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/work-temp.asp

Some workers can apply at a port of entry

Most foreign workers must apply for a work permit outside of Canada. However, you may apply for a permit when you arrive at a port of entry in Canada if:

- you are from the U.S., Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon;
- you do not need a temporary resident visa (TRV) to visit Canada and your job does not need a labour market opinion from ESDC;
- you will not be working as a live-in caregiver or as a seasonal agricultural worker;
- you do not need a TRV to visit Canada, your job requires you to have an ESDC labour market opinion and it has been issued by the time you arrive.