+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

L1 Visa on Indian Passport After Canadian Citizenship

Sep 28, 2021
@letstry21 i am in the t
I let my L1 on Indian passport expire and now going to get new L1 on my Canadian passport , only thing is at the border you show them L1 at the US Border and your Canadian passport too. I travelled with both passports , main confusion happens at Indian airports where you should not show them both passports , also ideally you should get Indian passport Cancelled sooner as otherwise there will be penalty. I got mine cancelled after almost 2 years fortunately there was no penalty.
@letstry21 when you crossed over to the US for the first time with your Canadian passport, did the customs check your old Indian passport with the visa stamp? Or did they allow you entry based on the approved I-129S and Canadian passport?

I am in a similar situation. My nationality changed right after L1 was approved for me. I need to join work in the US at the end of Jan. would appreciate some insights.
thank you.

amaxi

Jun 3, 2017
@letstry21 i am in the t

@letstry21 when you crossed over to the US for the first time with your Canadian passport, did the customs check your old Indian passport with the visa stamp? Or did they allow you entry based on the approved I-129S and Canadian passport?

I am in a similar situation. My nationality changed right after L1 was approved for me. I need to join work in the US at the end of Jan. would appreciate some insights.
thank you.
Hi,

Same situation here! What happened when you crossed the border?

Thank you!

Sep 28, 2021
Hi,

Same situation here! What happened when you crossed the border?

Thank you!
Hi,

Before I had to finally relocate, I travelled to the US-Canada port of entry and presented my Visa and both my passports. The CBP officer stamped my Canadian passport and my first entry on L1 was made that day. I did not have any issues crossing the border when I was finally relocating.

Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Reactions: amaxi and svk1520

amaxi

Jun 3, 2017
Hi,

Before I had to finally relocate, I travelled to the US-Canada port of entry and presented my Visa and both my passports. The CBP officer stamped my Canadian passport and my first entry on L1 was made that day. I did not have any issues crossing the border when I was finally relocating.

Thank you for your answer. So you mean you do not need to reapply for L1B visa for your Canadian passport?

canadalove85

Aug 4, 2017
That correct, You dont need to go to an embassy appointment for visa. Just proceed to the border with 797 and passport and CBP will issue a new i-94 for the duration of 797 validity. Even if you have an existing approval, you can switch that to your Canadian passport at the border. Just show them your old passport or i-94, just so that they can link your travel/immigration data with new passport.
Is this true for blanket petition too? Canadian citizens applying for L1-A blanket from their company. Do they need to appear for the interview at the consulate or embassy?

Sep 28, 2021
Thank you for your answer. So you mean you do not need to reapply for L1B visa for your Canadian passport?
I had an L1A and I did not reapply. I am not sure about L1B, but it might be a similar process.
technically a visa has been granted to you and a change of passport should not change your visa status or your eligibility.

Reactions: amaxi
Sep 28, 2021
Is this true for blanket petition too? Canadian citizens applying for L1-A blanket from their company. Do they need to appear for the interview at the consulate or embassy?
you may want to confirm this with your company’s legal counsel as this is a blanket petition. For Canadian citizens, there is a possibility that the visa can be approved at the US POE. However, consular processing is less risky and rather hassle free. CBP especially in Toronto can be difficult, but also depends upon your documentation.

canadalove85

Aug 4, 2017
you may want to confirm this with your company’s legal counsel as this is a blanket petition. For Canadian citizens, there is a possibility that the visa can be approved at the US POE. However, consular processing is less risky and rather hassle free. CBP especially in Toronto can be difficult, but also depends upon your documentation.
Thanks for your response. Did you have an L1- A individual petition?

amaxi

Jun 3, 2017
I had an L1A and I did not reapply. I am not sure about L1B, but it might be a similar process.
technically a visa has been granted to you and a change of passport should not change your visa status or your eligibility.
Thank you. That's really helpful!

chauhan1984

Jun 27, 2023
  • Hello Friends,
I have a valid L-1A visa on my Indian passport which I obtained from the US consulate at Toronto, Canada and already did my first entry to the US with my Indian passport . I was also a permanent resident of Canada at the time of my L-1A application and my Canadian citizenship was under process when I got my L-1A Visa stamped. Now, I have received an invitation for an oath to obtain the Canadian citizenship which means, I would be getting my Canadian passport. My I-797 approval is valid until November 30, 2023. If I take my Canadian citizenship then I will have to surrender my Indian passport to Indian Embassy in Canda on which I have L-1A visa. In this case how can I travel back to the US and continue my existing L-1A status and I-94 record ? Do I need to get a new L-1A Visa on new Canadian passport or I can carry my existing I-797 at POE with Canadian passport ? Would my current I-797 be valid for the Canadian passport also. Will be very thankful if you could please help me on this.

SMNewMember

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hi,

Hi,

Did you continue using both passports to cross borders or did you end up re-applying for L1 on Canadian passport? Also did you have trouble travelling back to India? I am in a similar situation and need to figure the least risky way.

SMNewMember

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
Thanks a lot @letstry21 for clarifying. So basically in US your I94 was based on Canada Passport although your visa was stamped in Indian pp? Also during the first entry (with new Canada pp and visa in not cancelled India pp) was there any extra questions at POE in Canada airports/land border? I am planning to carry my L1 documents used during stamping and payslips etc. Please advise
Hi could you please share your experience?

Praveshkhanna

Oct 22, 2023
Hi Chauhan,

Can you tell what happened when you crossed the border with Canadian passport? Or you used both the passport to enter into states?
I am in the same boat.