+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Koseki Tohon" and police report for Japanese spouce

meyori

Nov 6, 2014
Hi, We are just started to gathering information/documents etc. and wondering if there is any time limit for validity of "Koseki Tohon"
We do not live Canada nor Japan and it seems getting documents (and translated) take very long time (possibly over three months, less my wife goes back to Japan.). Just wanted to make sure by the time we got those documents, they are good to use, not too old !Do you know if there is any time limits ?

Maeby

Jun 23, 2014
My husband and I just finished our application in August( he is Japanese and we live in japan) I can't speak for the koseki Tohon as we just got it before we applied( translation took a week) but for the police certificate we were told the Japanese police won't do a certificate until your app is in process and you have a request. After emailing the consul and immigration they finally told us to apply without the police certificate and it would be requested at a later time.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
meyori said:
Hi, We are just started to gathering information/documents etc. and wondering if there is any time limit for validity of "Koseki Tohon"
We do not live Canada nor Japan and it seems getting documents (and translated) take very long time (possibly over three months, less my wife goes back to Japan.). Just wanted to make sure by the time we got those documents, they are good to use, not too old !Do you know if there is any time limits ?
I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) but when you get your koseki tohon, it says "valid for 3 months from date of issue" or something like that. For the translation - you could ask around and find a translation service that does it relatively quickly. The place I used did not require the original document, so I just scanned the koseki tohon I got and sent it to them. They took about 3 days to do it then they mailed it to me. Wasn't very cheap, but I didn't find any place significantly cheaper than that. I think, also, that this place offered to obtain your koseki tohon for you, for a fee.

Police certificate is valid for 3 months. You don't need a translation for that fortunately because it's in English (and four other languages.) (Also remember when you get it that you're not supposed to open it. It's invalid if opened.)
As a general rule, the Japanese police require "proof" of applying for a visa or something in order to issue you a police certificate. I showed them the document on CIC's website that says that CIC requires a police certificate for me to apply for PR, but that wasn't good enough for them. However, the police (in my case, in Chiba) advised me that I can just fill out a visa application form for Canada (not for PR, but some other kind - I forgot if it was for a student visa or whatever) by downloading the application form from the Canadian consulate's website. Normally, you'd apply for such a visa online, I believe, but in this case, you have to print out the form and fill it in and sign it. The police took a copy of that for their records and they gave me the police certificate. It's just for their internal system, I believe.

However, since your wife may be applying for the certificate at a Japanese consulate, the system might be different. But in any case, they should be able to do it - you might just have to go through their formalities. Just call the nearest consulate and ask what they need and how long it takes. CIC does require a police certificate as part of your application package. Since most Japanese applicants do send in a police certificate upfront, CIC may or may not return your entire application to you as incomplete. It might depend on the particular officer handling your application. If the consulate refuses to issue a police certificate without a request from CIC, get that in writing and include that in your application. (If your application is returned to you as being incomplete, you need to submit anew, and all your documents (such as the koseki tohon you already got) need to be valid, so it's risky.) If you're lucky, they might be ok with submitting a police certificate later on, though. Just bear in mind that if that's the case, your case will be put on hold for a while, so it may delay the approval of your application for a couple of months or so, however long it takes you to get the police certificate and mail it to them.

meyori

Nov 6, 2014
Thank you for your reply and information.

Regards to "Koseki Tohon", according to my wife, her mother who is in Japan can get it. For translation, did you get it done where ? Her mother lives in just out side of Tokyo.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
I got it done here:

http://hirojimu.xsrv.jp/koseki/

I think the office is in Kansai, but I just scanned my koseki tohon and emailed them to them. They then sent me back the translations for proof reading, and when I responded that it was all correct, they got it all stamped and notarized and express mailed it to me.

It cost me about 500$ (48100 JPY). I opted to have it notarized, which cost 20000 JPY so without the notarization (just an affidavit) it would have cost 28100 JPY. The translation office said that he gets clients who are applying for PR in Canada, and some opt for just the affidavit, others opt for the notarization as well. He said as far as he knows, no one has been refused for having only an affidavit and not a notarization. (At least no one has contacted him about it.) But he said it's my choice - I can be extra cautious and get the notarization, or not. Oh, also I had it expedited, which cost 6100 JPY.

I had a total of 2 koseki tohon, 1 kaiseigen koseki tohon and 1 "marriage certificate" (婚姻届け受理証明書) done, a total of 4 documents.

Not cheap, but it wasn't very different from quotes I got from other places. I googled around a lot. I think someone on this forum also used this place before. I already have my PR, and CIC didn't say anything about these documents, so I assume they were alright.

They were quite prompt in getting back to me and were clear on their prices, so you can get a quote and compare with other places too.

meyori

Nov 6, 2014
Maeby said:
My husband and I just finished our application in August( he is Japanese and we live in japan) I can't speak for the koseki Tohon as we just got it before we applied( translation took a week) but for the police certificate we were told the Japanese police won't do a certificate until your app is in process and you have a request. After emailing the consul and immigration they finally told us to apply without the police certificate and it would be requested at a later time.
Thank you for sharing how you did. Could you tell us which consul/immigration (e-mail address) did you communicate with ? Nice to know right department/person to talk to.

Maeby

Jun 23, 2014
I emailed, the Tokyo embassy, the Osaka honorary consul and the Manila VO. I got a reply from both the Osaka and Tokyo ones that they forwarded it to Manila. After about a week I got a reply for Manila about the police certificate. Basically a copy paste of the website on police certificates and then a few lines that said some countries won't give it up front and to apply without it in my situation. They will send a request later. So I followed their directions:)

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 4-6-2015 or earlier
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
I just found this thread.

I went to San Francisco Japanese Consulate last month to request a police check report, and although I did bring the document from CIC explaining the need of police clearance report for permanent residency, the guy at the consulate said that the document is basically useless, but he didn't request anything else from me in its place. I hope my police request won't come back needing additional information from me. (My honseki address is Tokyo.) They have also voided my Japanese passport at the same time (I have recently become a US citizen-had been a green card holder for the last 30+ years, but the plan to move to Canada prompted me to become a US citizen...) but I don't think that makes them deal with me any differently as far as the police check is concerned.

As for Koseki tohon (I think I used Koseki shohon... whichever is shorter), I used a local translation service I found on the internet - Mine only cost $75 including notarization (and they certified it also.) This cost looked pretty standard in comparison to other services I checked locally.

My family register is about a year old. Do I need to get a new one and do this over? (The guy at the consulate didn't seem to care..)

The thing is, the guy at the consulate said, because I am no longer Japanese, I won't be in Koseki tohon/shohon but will be in some other tohon (I cannot remember the name). Another thing is, my current family register still shows my ex-husband as my husband (I did have a divorce decree with me when I went to the consulate, so they took a copy of that, and made me fill out a marriage status change form so they can make the change to the tohon. I have also made a copy of my divorce decree as well as a copy of my marriage certificate to my Canadian sponsor...)

The thing is, CIC needs the tohon just so they can check your birth information - and the Japanese family register is the closest thing to a birth certificate and the birth information does not change (and that's why you can use a birth certificate that is as old as you, right? So why not an older than 3 months tohon? Just my opinion... Who know how CIC would deal with that.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.