+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean wedding papers translation ....

Weli

Sep 5, 2015
Hello All,

I looked through the forum and i couldnt find the info i was looking for n no reply in the huge topic sadly ...

My wife is korean and we want to apply inland once she arrives here (wedding was in korea).

I would like to know if its better to translate the wedding papers in Canada or in Korea?
I heard from some poeple that its better to do in Korea through a laywer and get their seal (about 50$)...

I would really appreciate the help ...anyone has an idea?

Thanks guys...

buttersmom

Aug 21, 2015
Weli said:
Hello All,

I looked through the forum and i couldnt find the info i was looking for n no reply in the huge topic sadly ...

My wife is korean and we want to apply inland once she arrives here (wedding was in korea).

I would like to know if its better to translate the wedding papers in Canada or in Korea?
I heard from some poeple that its better to do in Korea through a laywer and get their seal (about 50$)...

I would really appreciate the help ...anyone has an idea?

Thanks guys...

Hello Well !

I'm korean and canadian husband is sponsoring me now . I would like to let u know I only can tell through my experiences.
However, it may helps u to decide weather to do in Korea or Canada.

As Korean applicants need to translate and notarized documents either English or French if it is in Korean.
I'm pretty sure that marriage certificate in Korea is not available in English.

For my case, My family member got me all the papers i need from Korea and send them by EMS. And I did all the translations and notarized works in here Toronto by pareligal. They charged me 15$ per page and 30$ of notarization fee (ex: 4 pages $60+ notarization fee $30= 90+hst )

A lot of documents are not in English what CIC requires for Koreans. so if just one page cost $50, do it here will be better i guess.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would prepare everything in Korea while you/ your wife are there.

Most of korean gov. docs are not provided in English so you have to translate and get notarized in English pretty much all docs (ex. marriage cert. family relationship cert. etc)
I did all my docs (translated and notarized in Korea ) and paid for about 20.0000 won. (think i found less expensive place compared to other places)

You could find a lot of translation and notarized agencies in Chong- no/ seoul city hall area ( if your wife live close to seoul or in seoul)

not sure where you live in Canada but what I read and heard from others.
you might pay more than doing in Korea (if you have all docs in Canada already)

so I would recommend to call couple of place in your area and korea, then compare the prices.

FYI.
1. You are worried about accuracy of translation/notarization by korean agency beside the price, I would not worry.
I did (as many members in here did in Korea ) and VO did not return and ask to do by Canadian agency etc .

2. All gov. doc are good for a year for immigration purpose (police cert. is only good for 6 months)

3. Outland application is processing much faster than inland application ( you can check out time on CIC website)
Unless you have certain reason for inland app, I would do apply outland (sorry for being nosy :-\)

3. she can stay in Canada while she applies for outland.

4. there is thread for sponsorship for korean wife in the forum, you would get more info from it. .

hope it helps.

lauralee15

Star Member
May 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missassauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-11-2015
AOR Received.
29-4-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
6-7-2016
We also had all our documents translated in Korea first - it was pretty quick, but more expensive then what floomy paid (though honestly didn't shop around).

We were just legally married a few weeks ago here in Canada though so our Marriage Certificate is in English and we will soon go through process of getting the Korean Marriage Relations Certificate - Floomy do you know if it's ok to send this document at a later time, as we want to send in our application now, but it will take a bit longer to obtain this?

Policy check - is it good for 6 months?? I've read conflicting info that it is 3 months and then some say 6 months! Confused!

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lauralee15 said:
We also had all our documents translated in Korea first - it was pretty quick, but more expensive then what floomy paid (though honestly didn't shop around).

We were just legally married a few weeks ago here in Canada though so our Marriage Certificate is in English and we will soon go through process of getting the Korean Marriage Relations Certificate - Floomy do you know if it's ok to send this document at a later time, as we want to send in our application now, but it will take a bit longer to obtain this?

Policy check - is it good for 6 months?? I've read conflicting info that it is 3 months and then some say 6 months! Confused!
I read your question from another thread.

1. if you are waiting for marriage cert. (assume you apply inland from previous post)
as other members mentioned, you can write a letter then it should be ok.

2. Police cert. is good for 6 month.
so your husband has been staying in Canada since he obtained Korean police cert. and his police cert. is 3-6months old.
then CIC might not ask new police cert. while they process his file.(unless he stay in Korea more than 6 months)

hope it helps.
other might have different idea from me, so you might wanna ask here
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsoring-my-korean-wife-for-permanent-residency-t137874.2580.html

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
I would definitely get it done in Korea. It will be cheaper and faster.

Weli

Sep 5, 2015
Hello Guys and sry i havent replied for a while here ...

We figured out that for translating the docs, it is much cheaper in Canada if u goto the Korean embassy
Its about 5-10$ per doc which is great compared to korea where they asked us betweek 40-70$ per doc.

Floomy... Thx for the great info.
It is unfortunate that we have already applied inland and noticed the wait time beeing much longer this way ... but not sure if it applies to Quebec though...

Any ideas on that side?

Thx again guys ... much appreciated all the help here...

kkim604

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Korea
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for inland, don't they give you work visa before PR is approved?
if money is a problem for you

mpottier

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife and I were married in Korea (Seoul, Yongsan-gu). We got our marriage certificate translated at one of the dozens of translators around the American Embassy (for some reason there are tons around there). they are good and cheap, cost us 10 bucks! All stamped and notarized. Accepted immediately by both the Canadian and american authorities. Do everything in Korea, it is much cheaper and easier especially background checks which are free in Korea (they are free at the Korean embassies overseas but you have to wait a week or two, while they are instant in Korea).