+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean Police Certificate -- ILLEGAL document

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Hi all,

The key is to get the right one when a police officer asks about the reason you want to get it. Your answer must be "personal reason". If you say anything about other reasons like Canada, submit to someone, it will be illegal and they will refuse.

I was well done with this and got a visa and CoPR already.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsdone2

itsdone2

Jul 31, 2019
Thanks for the update :) hopefully all goes well for you.
Can you please share your timeline as of now please?
Thank you for the update! I'm in the same situation I just provided that police station approved without lapsed record since it is illegal. CIC should never ask the same situation again to everybody from Korea.

itsdone2

Jul 31, 2019
Hi all,

The key is to get the right one when a police officer asks about the reason you want to get it. Your answer must be "personal reason". If you say anything about other reasons like Canada, submit to someone, it will be illegal and they will refuse.

I was well done with this and got a visa and CoPR already.
Are you sure if you ask it for personal reasons then they are going to provide a lapsed record? I asked it in the same way but they said it is only able to check with your personal security key to log in to the webpage and it is only viewable not printable. It means you can only check it for yourself but not to provide to somewhere. Please share how you did exactly I am so curious and your comment will be highly appreciated!

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Are you sure if you ask it for personal reasons then they are going to provide a lapsed record? I asked it in the same way but they said it is only able to check with your personal security key to log in to the webpage and it is only viewable not printable. It means you can only check it for yourself but not to provide to somewhere. Please share how you did exactly I am so curious and your comment will be highly appreciated!
I sent an explanation letter together with a Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate (신원조사 (범죄경력)증명서) but CIC still asked me again. Therefore I had to go to the Police station again.

- They asked: "Why do you need it?"

- Me: Personal reason.

- They showed me the announcement about illegal things in both English and Korean.

- Me: Yes and give them my alien card.

- They gave me a form to fill out, make sure that you check in a checkbox with a lapsed record.

1 min later, I got it.

Yuan0824

Dec 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

Today I got my landing letter - PR approved a week ago.

I submitted the free Criminal Record Check that I got from my local Korean Consulate (in Vancouver).

I also submitted emails from the Korean Police Agency, the Korean Foreign Office, the Korean consulate in Toronto - all stating that the document requested was no longer being issued by the Korean Police Agency. I also submitted emails forwarded to me from other people on this forum and elsewhere who had been officially informed that the document was no longer available. Thank you to all those who helped me in this way.

I am happy to forward any of the emails I received from official sources. It may make a difference that I am NOT KOREAN and do not live in Korea. Still, if I can help anyone through this bit of dodgy legislation, I will.

Thanks again for all your help and support.
Hi there,

my application got rejected today due to the incorrect South Korean police certificate. In plan to appeal my case and Really appreciate it if you could forward me the emails you received from official sources. My email is liuyuan0824@gmail.com. Million thanks!

itsdone2

Jul 31, 2019
Hi there,

my application got rejected today due to the incorrect South Korean police certificate. In plan to appeal my case and Really appreciate it if you could forward me the emails you received from official sources. My email is liuyuan0824@gmail.com. Million thanks!
Here is how you get an official letter regarding a police report which explains why it is illegal. I believe it may help you to explain.

*********************************************************************************************
Hi, if you haven't already done so, I recommend emailing the following about the situation:

toronto@mofa.go.kr - Korean consulate in Toronto
seoul-cs@international.gc.ca - Canadian Embassy in Korea
crc@police.go.kr - Korean National Police

I emailed all of them. It only took about 2 days for each of them to respond.

The Korean consulate and national police both said that the document is illegal to obtain. The Canadian embassy suggested that I submit the document provided without the lapsed records, along with any "supporting documents." I simply printed out all three of these emails and included them in my application, along with my own one page cover letter explaining the situation. I still haven't heard back on my application yet (I'm a September applicant), but based on what others have said here, I think this will be enough to satisfy the officer. When you can't provide what they are asking for, it's good to provide as much proof as possible as to why.

saifrahm

Jan 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

I submitted the free Criminal Record Check that I got from my local Korean Consulate (in Vancouver).

I also submitted emails from the Korean Police Agency, the Korean Foreign Office, the Korean consulate in Toronto - all stating that the document requested was no longer being issued by the Korean Police Agency. I also submitted emails forwarded to me from other people on this forum and elsewhere who had been officially informed that the document was no longer available. Thank you to all those who helped me in this way.

I am happy to forward any of the emails I received from official sources. It may make a difference that I am NOT KOREAN and do not live in Korea. Still, if I can help anyone through this bit of dodgy legislation, I will.

Hello Sir,

Thanks for the amazing info,
Could you please share those emails. TIA
saifurpharmacist@gmail.com

Flexsis

Jan 14, 2021
Hi everyone,

Hi DarylM, I am also foreign national running into the same issue and would really appreciate if you could also forward the emails that you have received from official sources to me - 1952936053@qq.com, thank you!

wangyan048

Jan 30, 2021
Hi everyone,

Congratulations!, Good news for everyone who has the same issue. Could you please forward those emails to me? Thanks!! wangyan048@hotmail.com

BRIL23

Feb 27, 2017
Hi
I see Gcms notes says Pcc: Verification: Complete, does that mean it’s been verified of geniuses?

NataliaR

Feb 2, 2021
I sent an explanation letter together with a Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate (신원조사 (범죄경력)증명서) but CIC still asked me again. Therefore I had to go to the Police station again.

- They asked: "Why do you need it?"

- Me: Personal reason.

- They showed me the announcement about illegal things in both English and Korean.

- Me: Yes and give them my alien card.

- They gave me a form to fill out, make sure that you check in a checkbox with a lapsed record.

1 min later, I got it.
Hi Tham,

Is it possible to see a copy of your correct Police Certificate from South Korea? If you could black out your personal details and share a copy of the certificate so we know what we are looking for, this would be very much appreciated. We are stuck in this maze... Did you submit the one that says it is illegal to use? My email is nat2rom@gmail.com. Thank you so much!!
Natalia

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Hi Tham,

Is it possible to see a copy of your correct Police Certificate from South Korea? If you could black out your personal details and share a copy of the certificate so we know what we are looking for, this would be very much appreciated. We are stuck in this maze... Did you submit the one that says it is illegal to use? My email is nat2rom@gmail.com. Thank you so much!!
Natalia
You would get the photo by searching this "범죄· 수사경력 회보서 " on google search.

Rasmi

Oct 23, 2019
Hi everyone,

Hi Congratulations! I know I'm quite late in asking this, but please could you forward me those emails, if you still have them? My email is rasmisingh92@gmail.com

Or if anyone could please forward me those emails? Thank you sooo much in advance.

97uiop

Mar 4, 2021
Hi everyone,

Hi DaryIM. I'm going through the same issue that you went through two years ago:( I have emailed the Korean police Agency and the Korean consulate in Toronto. I'm still waiting for the reply from them, but I will appreciate so much if I can also get those official emails that you have. My email address is 97uiop@gmail.com Thank you in advance:)