+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean Outland Civil Status Documents

ardonn1

Aug 15, 2015
Hello,

I am nearing completion of my sponsorship application for myself and my common-law partner. I am a bit confused by the requirement for birth certificate as Koreans do not have a birth certificate.

When I read the Asian General family sponsorship guide it asked for birth certificate, baptismal certificates, or other documents to prove relationship to family members.

I am interpreting this as only needing the "family relation certificate" which I have a copy of to get translated.

I am wondering if any Korean who has done this application can clarify if I need to create a birth certificate (pulling the correct information from the document) or if I just need the "family relation certificate"

Thanks.

lovelywhite7

May 10, 2016
Hello,

I remember getting an "Identification Certifcate" for my husband as, just like you said, Koreans don't have birth certificates. We also sent a Family Relations Certificate as well as something called Old Census Family Register (I don't remember the exact name of the certificate but it was something like that).

Ours got approved in 2 months and we received our PR card six weeks later!

Inae