+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean marriage certificate required? Married in Canada

d_heart_s

Feb 12, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

The "country specific requirements" for Korea include two things: Family Relation Certificate and Marriage Relation Certificate. We (I'm Canadian and wife is Korean) were married recently in Canada and will be sending an inland spousal sponsorship application soon. In our case do we need a (photocopy of a) Korean marriage certificate? The problem is that we don't have this document at all. We haven't been to Korea since the wedding. We were planning another ceremony in Korea, including registering the marriage there, much later - after the PR, when we can safely travel.

Unfortunately we don't have much time now because she is on a Working Holiday and as far as I know it can't be extended in any way.

If it turns out that it is required, but we don't provide it with the initial application due to time constraints, will they reject the application, or will they give us a chance to send it in later? If the latter, that would be OK - as long as we don't have to travel to Korea personally to obtain the certificate. I don't mind a small delay in the application. It's far better than her getting kicked out of the country...

Thanks in advance. This forum has been a great resource. I've probably sifted through hundreds of pages here already. Many questions of mine have already been answered, but a few remain.

just a square

Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA 08-08-2016, AOR2 16-08-2016
Med's Done....
06-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-03-2017
Provide Canadian marriage certificate and it'll be just fine.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
d_heart_s said:
The "country specific requirements" for Korea include two things: Family Relation Certificate and Marriage Relation Certificate. We (I'm Canadian and wife is Korean) were married recently in Canada and will be sending an inland spousal sponsorship application soon. In our case do we need a (photocopy of a) Korean marriage certificate? The problem is that we don't have this document at all. We haven't been to Korea since the wedding.
Hi

Just include a Letter of Explanation about why you don't have the document.

lp.choi

Aug 12, 2018
Hey, I am sponsoring my Korean husband. we got married in Canada a few weeks ago and are trying to send off our application in the next couple weeks. Just wondered how all that worked out, as we are in exactly the same situation wiht the lack of Korean marriage certificate (and wont be travelling until pr accepted etc)... Any update or advice would be so helpful! Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey, I am sponsoring my Korean husband. we got married in Canada a few weeks ago and are trying to send off our application in the next couple weeks. Just wondered how all that worked out, as we are in exactly the same situation wiht the lack of Korean marriage certificate (and wont be travelling until pr accepted etc)... Any update or advice would be so helpful! Thanks
Answer is still the same.

Thelazycouple

Nov 29, 2018
I know its kind of weird to ask. Considering its a marriage certificate. Just curious if it is required for common law or if its only for those married

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know its kind of weird to ask. Considering its a marriage certificate. Just curious if it is required for common law or if its only for those married
If you are common-law, you aren't married, so why would a marriage certificate be required?

Reactions: k.h.p.