+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korea - Marriage Relation Certificate Question

imjeolmi

Nov 25, 2018
Hello again!

I am sponsoring my husband who is from Korea. We got married in Canada and have a marriage certificate from here and not Korea, do we still need to submit the "Marriage Relation Certificate" from Korea?

Please and thank you!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Country specific requirements

Korea (Republic of) – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If the principal applicant holds a passport from this country, they must submit:
    • A copy and certified translation of the “Family Relation Certificate” issued within six months of the date of application.
    • A copy and a certified translation of your “Marriage Relation Certificate”.

Maggie Liang

Feb 1, 2020
I have the same question as a client is Korean and her husband is Canadian. They get married in Canada and have the Ontario Marriage Certificate. However, for a spousal sponsorship application, do they still need to get the "Marriage Relationship Certificate" in Korea? If so, how do they get it?

Imjeolmi, did you end up getting the Marriage Relationship Certificate from Korea?

Maggie Liang

Feb 1, 2020
Hello again!

I am sponsoring my husband who is from Korea. We got married in Canada and have a marriage certificate from here and not Korea, do we still need to submit the "Marriage Relation Certificate" from Korea?

Please and thank you!

I have the same question as a client is Korean and her husband is Canadian. They get married in Canada and have the Ontario Marriage Certificate. However, for a spousal sponsorship application, do they still need to get the "Marriage Relationship Certificate" in Korea? If so, how do they get it?

Imjeolmi, did you end up getting the Marriage Relationship Certificate from Korea?

imjeolmi

Nov 25, 2018

We only provided the Canadian Marriage Certificate but had to provide Family Certificate from Korea. I heard that is fairly easy to obtain and all Koreans know how to submit for one.

Maggie Liang

Feb 1, 2020
That is very helpful for me, Imjeolmi. My client has the Family Relationship Certificate which shows that she is single since she did not register the marriage (done in Ontario) in Korea. Does your husband's family relationship certificate show that he is single?

In the end, not for the purpose of the spousal sponsorship application, did you register the marriage through the Marriage Relationship Certificate in Korea? Someone advised to do it regardless of the application. They said for Koreans that want to keep their Korean citizenship, they need to do it. And they said you need to register within certain time of your marriage to avoid a fine (which needs to be confirmed) .

Thank you so much again for replying my question. It is extremely helpful and important for me.

Maggie

We only provided the Canadian Marriage Certificate but had to provide Family Certificate from Korea. I heard that is fairly easy to obtain and all Koreans know how to submit for one.

imjeolmi

Nov 25, 2018
That is very helpful for me, Imjeolmi. My client has the Family Relationship Certificate which shows that she is single since she did not register the marriage (done in Ontario) in Korea. Does your husband's family relationship certificate show that he is single?

In the end, not for the purpose of the spousal sponsorship application, did you register the marriage through the Marriage Relationship Certificate in Korea? Someone advised to do it regardless of the application. They said for Koreans that want to keep their Korean citizenship, they need to do it. And they said you need to register within certain time of your marriage to avoid a fine (which needs to be confirmed) .

Thank you so much again for replying my question. It is extremely helpful and important for me.

Maggie
Yes, we made sure records both here and Korea are the same. If your client's Korean family certificate says she is single it will raise red flags. Canada is very strict in regards to immigration. It's best practice to make sure there will be no room for doubt.

And correct, she will be fined in Korea if she does not report her marriage status in a timely manner. It is required by law according to my husband.

Maggie Liang

Feb 1, 2020
Thanks so much for your reply. Does your husband's family relationship certificate show his spouse, your name there? My client did not show and did not indicate marriage certificate.

Did you register the marriage in the embassy before applying for the family relationship certificate?

Is the procedure like this? Register the marriage in the Korean Embassy - apply for the Marriage Relationship Certificate in Korea - apply for the Family Relationship Certificate.

Is it only in this sequence that the family relationship certificate would show the spouse's name (who is not a Korean national)?

Thanks again for your help.

Maggie

Yes, we made sure records both here and Korea are the same. If your client's Korean family certificate says she is single it will raise red flags. Canada is very strict in regards to immigration. It's best practice to make sure there will be no room for doubt.

And correct, she will be fined in Korea if she does not report her marriage status in a timely manner. It is required by law according to my husband.

daramji

Sep 24, 2023
Thanks so much for your reply. Does your husband's family relationship certificate show his spouse, your name there? My client did not show and did not indicate marriage certificate.

Did you register the marriage in the embassy before applying for the family relationship certificate?

Is the procedure like this? Register the marriage in the Korean Embassy - apply for the Marriage Relationship Certificate in Korea - apply for the Family Relationship Certificate.

Is it only in this sequence that the family relationship certificate would show the spouse's name (who is not a Korean national)?

Thanks again for your help.

Maggie
Hey, I was curious if you finally had an outcome in this situation? Thank you