+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kitchener Waterloo Citizenship Applicants

rpanchal

Apr 8, 2015
I m in Guelph, citizenship application started Jan 2020 and finished citizenship test in March 2021, now awaiting for oath.
but now my current passport and PR card is expiring next month.
even if oath comes in a month, i think it will take long time to get Canadian passport ( @ another 12 month???)
and renewal of PR card is also @ 3 month this days..
Do I need valid PR card and Passport while applying for Canadian citizenship? In dilemma if i should renew it or wait for oath first.. any recommendation?

Reactions: hawat

im2kool

Star Member
Dec 29, 2020
I m in Guelph, citizenship application started Jan 2020 and finished citizenship test in March 2021, now awaiting for oath.
even if oath comes in a month, i think it will take long time to get Canadian passport ( @ another 12 month???)
Do I need valid PR card and Passport while applying for Canadian citizenship? In dilemma if i should renew it or wait for oath first.. any recommendation?
There is no answer to this! All depends on you and your risk appetite. You can't predict anything with IRCC, specially now in covid!

Reactions: rpanchal

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
It all comes down to you really . I don’t believe you need to have a valid pr card for the oath; even if the card expires you still are a PR of Canada . If you think you might need to travel out of the country or want to keep a valid card for travel emergencies then you can apply for a renewed PR card while you wait for your oath. The passport doesn’t take that long from what I’m reading.

rpanchal

Apr 8, 2015
There is no answer to this! All depends on you and your risk appetite. You can't predict anything with IRCC, specially now in covid!
thanks for reply.
agree, its little weird this days.
like chicken or egg situation.. LOL .. renew PR card or wait for Oath..

rpanchal

Apr 8, 2015
It all comes down to you really . I don’t believe you need to have a valid pr card for the oath; even if the card expires you still are a PR of Canada . If you think you might need to travel out of the country or want to keep a valid card for travel emergencies then you can apply for a renewed PR card while you wait for your oath. The passport doesn’t take that long from what I’m reading.
right, PR card renewal also takes 84 days ,, which is like 3 month and in that time i hope oath invitation will surely come..
so i guess i should stay status quo
thank for reply :)

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
right, PR card renewal also takes 84 days ,, which is like 3 month and in that time i hope oath invitation will surely come..
so i guess i should stay status quo
thank for reply :)
If only we could accurately predict or depend on the processing information out there :rolleyes: . I was stunned to read that the KW office is very slow for citizenship . Hope you get your oath letter soon !

hawat

Aug 28, 2020
Could you share the date of your background completion?

Adam1979

Jan 31, 2015
Waterloo applicant here...
Well, I did not know the local office is slower than average. This is not ideal....

anyone knows why they’re slow?

Hanan22

Nov 14, 2015
WHY 12 MONTHS FOR A PASSPORT?