still waiting
Passport Req..
still waiting
VISA ISSUED...
still waiting
LANDED..........
hopefully soon!
Hello everyone,

I had a quick question...I was reading through the operations manuals trying to find the process that an immigration officer would assess a file...like do they have a checklist they go through in a specific order so to speak...all documents filled out completely..check,....adequate proof of relationship...check.....medicals completed and approved check....etc. Since they requested us to redo our police check...I was wondering if maybe I could find out where we were on the checklist if there was one....

link to the operations manuals

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals

Jamnic

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2012
File Transfer...
31-08-2012
Med's Request
16-08-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
Passport Req..
01-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2013
LANDED..........
12-27-2013 Happiest Day of my Life!!!
Nevaeha said:
Hi Jamnic! :D

My hubby landed on December 25 and he has not received his PR card yet.

He called CIC yesterday to inquire about it because it is past the posted processing timeline. CIC confirmed it has been mailed to the correct address and if he doesn't receive it by April 1 then he should call them back. We are concerned it may go 'missing' because CIC didn't update their records when we sent them a change of address about one year ago. My hubby gave the immigration officer the address on a piece of paper when he landed and it was entered incorrectly into the system. We changed the address through ecas and it took FOREVER for them to update it.

There is a PR thread on the forum and it appears people who have landed in December have already received their PR cards!

Hi Nevaeha!

Thanks for the reply back!! It is so weird every time I am concern with something is just happens that either within a few days or in this case TODAY my questions are answered. When I got home today it was in the mailbox his permanent card.

Jamnic

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2012
File Transfer...
31-08-2012
Med's Request
16-08-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
Passport Req..
01-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2013
LANDED..........
CdnandTrini said:
Hi Jamnic, I am from the Port of Spain thread and my hubs landed Dec. 14, 2013 and received his PR card in the mail exactly 2 months to the day after that, on Feb. 14, 2014. There is also a specific thread on this exact topic called "PR card arrival timeline" and you can go check and compare to some of the other VOs as well. It seems as though people are getting them on average lately within 2-3 months after landing. If it is past 3 months for sure call CIC. Also I went on ecas after my husband landed to update his mailing address from Trinidad to our home in Canada and I saw that the postal code was wrong so I changed it online. No one told me this, I just followed up because when a person lands, the folks at the airport are also "inputting" an address and if a mistake is made there it can affect the PR card getting to the right destination. Hope this helps. Blessings.

CDnandTrini, thanks for the helpful information! My husband got his card in the mail today.

Jamnic

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2012
File Transfer...
31-08-2012
Med's Request
16-08-2013
Med's Done....
20-08-2013
Passport Req..
01-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2013
LANDED..........
So my husband got his permanent residence card in the mail today. About 4 weeks ago we went to see about starting the process for his health card Bc we were told he could apply early even though it wouldn't get issue until after 3 months. Well it turned out that wasn't the case, when we went to the office they gave us a hard time saying he needed more proof of residency such as bills under his name, bank account showing transactions.....blah blah. I am so upset with this bc first of all he hasn't been able to find a job (currently we are talking about moving to Calgary, which means I would have to give up my job I had since 2001).2nd of all he has asthma problems n can't even go to the hospital to get treatment for this. So I have gone to the hospital pretending I suffer from it n need meds. Luckily I was giving the meds without having any symptoms. ....

So I would like to know are they that strict with issuing a health card for permanent residences.

I feel like I am in a roller coaster of ups n down since I started this process.....

Nevaeha

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 12, 2012
Doc's Request.
Police certificate re-do: Feb 25, 2013
AOR Received.
June 6, 2012
Med's Done....
January 9, 2012 Medical extension: Feb 25, 2013
Passport Req..
December 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 12, 2013
LANDED..........
December 25, 2013
Jamnic said:
So my husband got his permanent residence card in the mail today. About 4 weeks ago we went to see about starting the process for his health card Bc we were told he could apply early even though it wouldn't get issue until after 3 months. Well it turned out that wasn't the case, when we went to the office they gave us a hard time saying he needed more proof of residency such as bills under his name, bank account showing transactions.....blah blah. I am so upset with this bc first of all he hasn't been able to find a job (currently we are talking about moving to Calgary, which means I would have to give up my job I had since 2001).2nd of all he has asthma problems n can't even go to the hospital to get treatment for this. So I have gone to the hospital pretending I suffer from it n need meds. Luckily I was giving the meds without having any symptoms. ....

So I would like to know are they that strict with issuing a health card for permanent residences.

I feel like I am in a roller coaster of ups n down since I started this process.....
There is NOTHING easy about this process is there?

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and it's very sad that your hubby couldn't get his health card. Can you call your provincial health office and ask them what is required? You can always try Blue Cross and pay for coverage until he can get his health card.

I am in Manitoba and my hubby got his health card just after he landed with his COPR, passport, and SIN as proof. And we're fortunate because the benefits kicked in right away.

Are there any provincial programs that can assist your hubby with finding a job? I found some links on the CIC website when I was looking for places in MB so try looking there.

Hang in there and good luck!!!! You will get through this transition!!!

Behopeful

Dec 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/12/2012
AOR Received.
01/05/2013
File Transfer...
11/01/2013
Med's Request
In Process: 12-09-2013
Med's Done....
04/12/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-10-2013
LANDED..........
11-10-2013 YAHOOOO!
Jamnic said:

Hi Jamnic... I am from the POS forum and will share my husbands story with Ontario Health card. We too have to wait 3 months in this province to get provincial health insurance. Basically you have to show proof he is living in the province. This can be shown by presenting his PP along with a piece of mail that indicates his address. I believe it has to be mail that is from the bank or government issued. My husband presented mail that showed our previous address and they wouldn't accept it. He then went to the bank and had them issue a letter in his name and that wasn't sufficient for them. Finally, we went to a whole different office and I showed my ID and stated I sponsored him and they were able to override the system and allow him to apply for his health card. It didn't seem like they would be willing to do this all of the time though. We, however, did not receive the card until 2 days before the 3 month mark when he was covered for health insurance.

Good luck and hope it works out for you! Navigating the system can be tricky at the best of times!

oneandonly

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2012
Nevaeha said:
Hi Jamnic! :D

My hubby landed on December 25 and he has not received his PR card yet.

He called CIC yesterday to inquire about it because it is past the posted processing timeline. CIC confirmed it has been mailed to the correct address and if he doesn't receive it by April 1 then he should call them back. We are concerned it may go 'missing' because CIC didn't update their records when we sent them a change of address about one year ago. My hubby gave the immigration officer the address on a piece of paper when he landed and it was entered incorrectly into the system. We changed the address through ecas and it took FOREVER for them to update it.

There is a PR thread on the forum and it appears people who have landed in December have already received their PR cards!
I went to a service canada building that had an immigration office located inside and got them to update the address correctly for the PR Card to arrive.

Nevaeha

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 12, 2012
Doc's Request.
Police certificate re-do: Feb 25, 2013
AOR Received.
June 6, 2012
Med's Done....
January 9, 2012 Medical extension: Feb 25, 2013
Passport Req..
December 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 12, 2013
LANDED..........
December 25, 2013
oneandonly said:
I went to a service canada building that had an immigration office located inside and got them to update the address correctly for the PR Card to arrive.
Why can't anything about this process be smooth and straight forward? *sigh*

oneandonly

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2012
Nevaeha said:
Why can't anything about this process be smooth and straight forward? *sigh*
I know there is a lot of running around once hubby gets to canada to everyone get prepared. The health card we still didn't apply for it yet as we don't have any proof of address for him yet. We are trying to get his address changed on his old canada drivers license. Well hubby received his sin card in the mail yesterday so it took 2 weeks to receive it.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
Jamnic said:
CDnandTrini, thanks for the helpful information! My husband got his card in the mail today.
You are most welcome, congrats on getting the PR card! It's official :D.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
oneandonly said:
I know there is a lot of running around once hubby gets to canada to everyone get prepared. The health card we still didn't apply for it yet as we don't have any proof of address for him yet. We are trying to get his address changed on his old canada drivers license. Well hubby received his sin card in the mail yesterday so it took 2 weeks to receive it.
Nev, & O&O nice to see you ladies - big shouts out my dears, how are things going with the Misters?? :D Hope life is sweet enough to make the sour moments forgettable ;)!!

Ugghhhh the health card and other stuff......Jamnic if you are in Ontario, where we need to wait the 3 months, your hubby can use his JA passport, SIN and a copy of his "mailed" (to your home) bank statement. If he has not opened a bank account, just go open one and ask them to snail mail the monthly statements and/or cheques to your home address. We did this and with the first statement, applied for hubby's health card at Service Ontario one month after he landed and it will come in the mail next week. Like Behopeful (us POS girls cannot leave our JA girls alone ;D) I too got 3 months of insurance coverage on my hubby to be on the safe side before his OHIP kicks in. Glad you were able to get the asthma meds, you do not want to be without those for sure. Blessings.