+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***KINGSTON, JAMAICA **New Application**(as of Dec 7, 2016)***

chanban

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Hello there,

What is the process on obtaining a driving record from Jamaica?
So that you can write your G level in Ontario.

Thanks!

you don't need a driving record, when you go to the DMV they will take away the Jamaican license and issue an Ontario license based on the number of years driving experience..

Teddyhlc

Star Member
Feb 3, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KVO
App. Filed.......
04-04-2018
Doc's Request.
14-05-2018
AOR Received.
10-05-2018
File Transfer...
26-05-2018
Med's Request
14-05-2018
Med's Done....
24-05-2018
Interview........
07-11-2018
Passport Req..
07-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2018
LANDED..........
12-07-2018
you don't need a driving record, when you go to the DMV they will take away the Jamaican license and issue an Ontario license based on the number of years driving experience..
Thanks, for clarifying..

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, for clarifying..
Exchange an out-of-province driver's licence
How to switch a driver’s licence from another province, state or country for an Ontario driver’s licence.

0" alias="mainController.node.content.params.alias" class="" style="box-sizing: border-box;">
On this pageSkip this page navigation
  1. New residents
  2. Exchange a driver’s licence
  3. When you can’t exchange
  4. How to apply
  5. What tests do I take?
New residents
When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid licence from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s licence.

To get a full licence, you need to meet certain requirements. The process depends on:

• how long you have been driving
  • where you were licensed before
Exchange a driver’s licence
You can exchange an out-of-province licence for an Ontario licence, if you are re-locating from:

• any Canadian province or territory
  • Canadian Armed Forces
  • U.S. States
  • Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland, Taiwan
When you can’t exchange
You cannot exchange:

• a driver’s licence from a country that does not have an exchange agreement in place with Ontario (it is not listed in the section above)
  • a learner’s permit or novice-class driver’s licence from another province, state or country
  • a motorcycle class driver’s licence from Japan, Korea, Germany, France, Great Britain, Austria, Belgium, Isle of Man, or Republic of Ireland for a Class M Motorcycle licence, because the exchange agreements mentioned above do not include motorcycle class driver’s licences.
You might still be able to fast-track and get credit for previous driving experience.

You need to provide the right documents, when you apply for an Ontario driver’s licence.

Proof of driving experience
You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence.

If you want to earn credit for more than one year of driving experience, you will also need an official letter from the foreign government or agency that issued the driver’s licence, confirming that the licence is authentic. This letter needs to be written in English or French.

You do not need a letter if you are exchanging a novice licence from another province.

How to apply
To switch your licence for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to apply in-person at a DriveTest centre or the ServiceOntario College Park location in downtown Toronto.

You need to:

• take an eye test
  • bring originals of your accepted identity documents showing your legal name, date of birth and signature
  • bring your original, valid out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence*
  • bring any original supporting documents that show proof of your driving experience in English or French
  • pay the applicable fees
  • fill out an application form (where you will state how long you have been driving)
You might also need to take a written test or road tests, before you get a full licence. It depends on your circumstances.

Find a DriveTest centre

Visit ServiceOntario: Toronto (College Park)

How can I get my foreign licence translated?

Full list: accepted identity documents

*Definition: a valid out-of-province licence

An out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence needs to:

• be valid
  • display a visible expiry date
  • be written in either English or French. If it is not, you need to get it translated by a certified translator. The translation must be current – dated within six months of when you apply for an Ontario licence
What tests do I take?
You could need to take certain driving tests before you get a full driver’s licence. It depends on:

• how long you have been driving
  • if the valid driver’s licence you have was issued in a country, province or state that does or does not have an exchange agreement in place with Ontario
2+ years driving experience (with exchange)
You only need to take an eye test, when you apply. After you pass this test, you get a full licence.

Less than 2 years driving experience (with exchange)
You need to take:

• an eye test, when you apply
  • one road test (the G2 road test)
You will not be able to do the G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you gain two, full years of driving experience. For example, if you had a licence for 21 months in your home province, state or country, you can do the G2 road test after 3 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

While you wait, you can drive with your G1 licence, under certain conditions.

What are the rules for G1 drivers?

2+ year driving experience (no exchange)
When you apply for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to:

• take a written test about rules of the road and traffic signs
  • take an eye test
After you pass the written and eye tests, you need to take one road test (G2 road test). You can book the G2 road test right away.

After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

Under 2 years driving experience (no exchange)
When you apply for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to:

• take a written test about rules of the road and traffic signs
  • take an eye test
Before you get a full licence, you also need to take two road tests (G1 and G2).

You can book the first road test (G1 road test), after you pass the written and eye tests.

After you pass your G1 road test, you cannot take your G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you have one, full year of driving experience. For example, if you’ve had your foreign licence for 8 months, you can take your G2 road test after 4 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

While you wait, you can drive with your G1 licence, under certain conditions.

What are the rules for G1 drivers?

ludabrown

Apr 11, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KINGSTON
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
File Transfer...
06-07-2017
Med's Request
30-06-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Interview........
06-03-2018
Passport Req..
06-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2018

ludabrown

Apr 11, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KINGSTON
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
File Transfer...
06-07-2017
Med's Request
30-06-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Interview........
06-03-2018
Passport Req..
06-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2018
hey guys,

everyone so quiet, no interviews coming up?

im just checking in been busy at work 1 of my building at work caught fire last week made it to the news (damn students with no damn home training) its fundamental to train kids to be self sufficient in this world because they grow older and move away from home and those skills will be important to make it thro life. needless to say one of our students lack every possible survival skills and yet her parents sent her into the world to fend for herself and sure enough she caught the kitchen on fire trying to fry ONE egg :confused:...

anyways hubby settling in just nicely he loves our "country" living hes not a fan of Toronto or Brampton too congested compared to where we are plus all his friends in the city that migrated here recently talk about the difficulties in finding a good job in the city because there are way more candidates but out here he had about 12 interviews and was able to pick which job he liked best based on location, salary and benefits and lucky for him he starts work tomorrow 30days after landing and the job is a 2min drive so he said he will be walking there and back as his daily exercise.

also i just found out that banks offer new comers free accounts for up to a year. so when setting up new accounts bring COPR and they will give new comers offer.

our son is loving the new school and the easy classes they even gave him a laptop on the 1st day of school well every high school student gets a laptop in grade 9 to use until you graduate (no excuses for not completing assigments) we also got him in soccer already played 2 games and loving it, hubby wants to play too but there's no drop in soccer here.

hows everyone else doing? hows things going thus far?

SHANkey

Star Member
Nov 12, 2016
Category........
FAM
hey guys,

everyone so quiet, no interviews coming up?

im just checking in been busy at work 1 of my building at work caught fire last week made it to the news (damn students with no damn home training) its fundamental to train kids to be self sufficient in this world because they grow older and move away from home and those skills will be important to make it thro life. needless to say one of our students lack every possible survival skills and yet her parents sent her into the world to fend for herself and sure enough she caught the kitchen on fire trying to fry ONE egg :confused:...

anyways hubby settling in just nicely he loves our "country" living hes not a fan of Toronto or Brampton too congested compared to where we are plus all his friends in the city that migrated here recently talk about the difficulties in finding a good job in the city because there are way more candidates but out here he had about 12 interviews and was able to pick which job he liked best based on location, salary and benefits and lucky for him he starts work tomorrow 30days after landing and the job is a 2min drive so he said he will be walking there and back as his daily exercise.

also i just found out that banks offer new comers free accounts for up to a year. so when setting up new accounts bring COPR and they will give new comers offer.

our son is loving the new school and the easy classes they even gave him a laptop on the 1st day of school well every high school student gets a laptop in grade 9 to use until you graduate (no excuses for not completing assigments) we also got him in soccer already played 2 games and loving it, hubby wants to play too but there's no drop in soccer here.

hows everyone else doing? hows things going thus far?
Great news happy you guys are settling just fine am going up on Wednesday will share my landing story.

Reactions: Newbie101

chanban

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
I have personally exchanged my Jamaican drivers license for a drivers licence in Ontario .. and so has 3 other members of my family. My father did the eye test and was given G , I received G2 based on my history at that time.... Im not sure why Jamaica isn't on that list ... but better safe than sorry do what you gotta do ..
you will need letter to expedite the process. I believe its issued at the tax office.

I guess things have changed .. I just walked in with my Jamaican DL ..and walked out with a G2 after completing eye and written test ... it was so easy took me a few hours tho .. DMV was packed!

Newbie101

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KVO
AOR Received.
06/11/17
File Transfer...
19/03/2018
Med's Request
07/03/2018
Med's Done....
14/03/2018
Hi guys, quick question.Anyone that had to send their ppassort using dhl.Did you have to give them an app number or uci or something of that sort. Was that required?

Sweetbibs

Aug 18, 2017
Hi guys, quick question.Anyone that had to send their ppassort using dhl.Did you have to give them an app number or uci or something of that sort. Was that required?
No don't give that information to DHL. My instructions had indicated that I should include the UCI and Application number in the package so that when they receive it they would know the application it is for. So what I did was write the UCI and Application on a piece of paper and attach it to the passport (s).

Newbie101

Star Member
Aug 24, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KVO
AOR Received.
06/11/17
File Transfer...
19/03/2018
Med's Request
07/03/2018
Med's Done....
14/03/2018
No don't give that information to DHL. My instructions had indicated that I should include the UCI and Application number in the package so that when they receive it they would know the application it is for. So what I did was write the UCI and Application on a piece of paper and attach it to the passport (s).
Thanks so much. I did not include the numbers at all :( I hope it doesn't really affect processing

Sweetbibs

Aug 18, 2017
Thanks so much. I did not include the numbers at all :( I hope it doesn't really affect processing
Your welcome, it should not affect processing significantly, including the numbers just make it easier for them to identify the file to which the passport (s) are applicable.

Teddyhlc

Star Member
Feb 3, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KVO
App. Filed.......
04-04-2018
Doc's Request.
14-05-2018
AOR Received.
10-05-2018
File Transfer...
26-05-2018
Med's Request
14-05-2018
Med's Done....
24-05-2018
Interview........
07-11-2018
Passport Req..
07-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2018
LANDED..........
12-07-2018

Teddyhlc

Star Member
Feb 3, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KVO
App. Filed.......
04-04-2018
Doc's Request.
14-05-2018
AOR Received.
10-05-2018
File Transfer...
26-05-2018
Med's Request
14-05-2018
Med's Done....
24-05-2018
Interview........
07-11-2018
Passport Req..
07-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2018
LANDED..........
12-07-2018
I agree with you. I have been in process for 11 months still no news. Just taking it day by day. Hope we can get a visa before they go on holidays.
Have you heard anything yet?

Teddyhlc

Star Member
Feb 3, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KVO
App. Filed.......
04-04-2018
Doc's Request.
14-05-2018
AOR Received.
10-05-2018
File Transfer...
26-05-2018
Med's Request
14-05-2018
Med's Done....
24-05-2018
Interview........
07-11-2018
Passport Req..
07-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2018
LANDED..........
12-07-2018
No update were in the 12 month now.
Really?
I would email them with your file number in the subject line, requesting an update on your file. I read on here that somebody else did that and it they got an interview request after doing that.