+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

kIND OF UNIQUE SITUATION.. Need your help

unfrgvn

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
Hi, Let me explain my situation to you.

1.) I came to Canada on August ,2008 for doing my Masters. I was also a TA and RA (I have necessary T4s and Notice of assessment)
2.) In 2011 September (After three years), I almost completed my masters (Thesis based MSc)and by almost I meant I competed my thesis, it was submitted , except my defense date was to be fixed and in the mean time got a job offer from a well reputed company in Alberta.
3.) Since I had only off campus work permit and study permit with me , it was not possible for me to join that job position. I contacted with FGSR and they replied that I can accept that offer since I will be graduating in December 2011. I got a letter from my department stating these things and joined in the job position on October, with Off campus work permit and my departmental letter stating that I will be graduating in December 2011.

4.) Unfortunately , something came up and My supervisors and I could not fix a defense date. In the mean time I Kept working as a Engineer in that position. (NOC 2142)
5.) I finally got that defense date on August 2012 and passed, received my PGWP on October. In the mean time I have worked for more than one year with my off campus work permit.
6.) I now want to apply in CEC . I am requesting from you guys to comment on my situation and let me know what should I do?

Thank you

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
unfrgvn said:
Hi, Let me explain my situation to you.

1.) I came to Canada on August ,2008 for doing my Masters. I was also a TA and RA (I have necessary T4s and Notice of assessment)
2.) In 2011 September (After three years), I almost completed my masters (Thesis based MSc)and by almost I meant I competed my thesis, it was submitted , except my defense date was to be fixed and in the mean time got a job offer from a well reputed company in Alberta.
3.) Since I had only off campus work permit and study permit with me , it was not possible for me to join that job position. I contacted with FGSR and they replied that I can accept that offer since I will be graduating in December 2011. I got a letter from my department stating these things and joined in the job position on October, with Off campus work permit and my departmental letter stating that I will be graduating in December 2011.

4.) Unfortunately , something came up and My supervisors and I could not fix a defense date. In the mean time I Kept working as a Engineer in that position. (NOC 2142)
5.) I finally got that defense date on August 2012 and passed, received my PGWP on October. In the mean time I have worked for more than one year with my off campus work permit.
6.) I now want to apply in CEC . I am requesting from you guys to comment on my situation and let me know what should I do?

Thank you
it sounds like u gained most of ur work experience thru off campus work permit. This will not qualify u for cec. since u get pgwp in october 2012, u might wait till october 2013 to qualify but make sure u acquired all the needed hours(1950) b4 applying

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Um... you don't state whether you have actually graduated yet or not... (Defense passed, PGWP awarded - great, but not the same thing as graduation, degree awarded).

Your experience before you actually graduate will not count under the CEC program, you will have to work for at least 12 months after the date you receive your degree before you are eligible under the CEC program.

If you don't want to wait until then, you could look into your provincial PNP program... or look at the new Federal Skilled Workers program (arranged employment option), but you should be aware this program will be revised in January...

unfrgvn

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
hello Jes_ON,

yes I have graduated/degree awarded/ completed my convocation too. I am thinking about applying (based on the fact that I was an RA / TA have my T4 and tax assessments NOC - 4012 ) plus I have this work for more than one year, I have all the pay stubs/ got reference letter from my company/ My Supervisor endorsed me/ I have my recent T4s and assessments etc .I have everything , but the reason I am worried is the fact that I had to do this job with off campus for about nine months before I get all my things sorted out. Would that be a problem? I have letters/ email conversation when I accpeted that job based on off campus work permit. But I never reralized that it would take 9 months to finally complete everything.

error

Dec 30, 2011
unfrgvn said:
It probably depends on what exactly the letter from the dept is saying.
My letter (January) says - error has completed his PhD degree requirements on XX Jan XXXX and will receive his fancy piece of paper at May convocation ceremony. I started working full-time in Feb using the bridge provision on my OCWP and got my actual PGWP in April. Our HR people provided an excellent and very detailed letter of employment, and my CEC application went through without a hitch.
In your case the gap is quite a bit longer, but this is not your fault. Explain the details in a letter and attach it to your application (even better if your former department/dean/office of grad studies could do that for you).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
unfrgvn said:
completed my convocation too.

The date this happened is your "graduation date." You need to either work 1 year past that date, or if you can qualify under the skilled worker stream, 2 years ...