+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Kind of an odd question...

KodiakAttack

Nov 9, 2016
Hopefully I've posted this in the right spot. It's an odd question I know:

A little background first. I'm a dual citizen of the US and Canada. I was born in the US, my father was born in Canada. I applied and was granted Canadian citizenship several years ago due to my father being born in Canada.

My question is this- If my wife and I decide to move to Canada (she's a U.S. Citizen) and we end up having children in Canada, I assume our children would be Canadian Citizens by birth right? Would that mean they have no access to U.S. Citizenship if they desired? My question sort of crosses the border so to speak.
Also, what pathway would my wife have to be granted residency or citizenship in Canada due to me being a Canadian Citizen?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, I know it's an odd question.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your children will be Canadian by birth if they are born in Canada.

Assuming your wife is a US citizen by birth and meets the residency requirements for passing US citizenship on to her children - they would be US citizens as well. As US citizens, they will additionally have the pleasure of filing taxes with the US for the rest of their lives regardless of where they decide to live.

If you want your wife to become PR, you'll need to sponsor her for permanent residency. She will qualify for citizenship once she has become a PR and has physically lived in Canada for several years.

KodiakAttack

Nov 9, 2016
scylla said:
Your children will be Canadian by birth if they are born in Canada.

Assuming your wife is a US citizen by birth and meets the residency requirements for passing US citizenship on to her children - they would be US citizens as well. As US citizens, they will additionally have the pleasure of filing taxes with the US for the rest of their lives regardless of where they decide to live.

If you want your wife to become PR, you'll need to sponsor her for permanent residency. She will qualify for citizenship once she has become a PR and has physically lived in Canada for several years.
Thank you for your response. I guess the same goes for myself, if I eventually move to Canada I will likely have to pay taxes here in the U.S. for the rest of my life.
I personally like having options, and enjoy the fact I'm both a US and a Canadian citizen. I'll have to look online somewhere to see what type of requirements there are to pass US citizenship on to children born in Canada. I imagine it could be a difficult question to answer assuming we would want the children to maintain Canadian citizenship and also be granted US citizenship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KodiakAttack said:
Thank you for your response. I guess the same goes for myself, if I eventually move to Canada I will likely have to pay taxes here in the U.S. for the rest of my life.
I personally like having options, and enjoy the fact I'm both a US and a Canadian citizen. I'll have to look online somewhere to see what type of requirements there are to pass US citizenship on to children born in Canada. I imagine it could be a difficult question to answer assuming we would want the children to maintain Canadian citizenship and also be granted US citizenship.
Yes - you too have the privilege of filing US taxes no matter where you live. It's a joy (my husband is American).

Your question regarding your children's citizenship isn't difficult at all. It's extremely basic. You should be able to google the answer very easily.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KodiakAttack said:
Hopefully I've posted this in the right spot. It's an odd question I know:

A little background first. I'm a dual citizen of the US and Canada. I was born in the US, my father was born in Canada. I applied and was granted Canadian citizenship several years ago due to my father being born in Canada.

My question is this- If my wife and I decide to move to Canada (she's a U.S. Citizen) and we end up having children in Canada, I assume our children would be Canadian Citizens by birth right? Would that mean they have no access to U.S. Citizenship if they desired? My question sort of crosses the border so to speak.
Also, what pathway would my wife have to be granted residency or citizenship in Canada due to me being a Canadian Citizen?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, I know it's an odd question.
It's not an odd question at all. You being born abroad and being granted Canadian citizenship based on your father can not pass Canadian citizenship to your children if they are born outside Canada. However, if they are born in Canada, they will be Canadian by birth, no problem.

As for US citizenship if the children are born in Canada, see here: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents It seems that the first would apply to you, you are married, you are both US citizens and you have lived in the US at some point prior to the children being born. This would get them US citizenship but you would have to register them through the US embassy.

As for moving to Canada with your wife, you would have to sponsor her for PR (like a US green card). You could either apply while living in the US but with proof that you will be moving to Canada when she gets her PR or you can wait until you move to Canada to apply which means she will officially be visiting you in Canada when you first move as she is not officially allowed to live here yet and there would be a few months before she gets her PR and is allowed to start working. She would have to live in Canada for a certain number of years before she can apply for citizenship.

Should you decide to have children in the US after all but you decide to move to Canada later on, you can also sponsor your children for PR just like you can your wife as long as they are under 19 when you apply. You can then apply for Canadian citizenship for the children as soon as they are PR and living in Canada because children do not have to meet minimum residency requirements to apply for citizenship.

KodiakAttack

Nov 9, 2016
Leon said:
It's not an odd question at all. You being born abroad and being granted Canadian citizenship based on your father can not pass Canadian citizenship to your children if they are born outside Canada. However, if they are born in Canada, they will be Canadian by birth, no problem.

As for US citizenship if the children are born in Canada, see here: LINK It seems that the first would apply to you, you are married, you are both US citizens and you have lived in the US at some point prior to the children being born. This would get them US citizenship but you would have to register them through the US embassy.

As for moving to Canada with your wife, you would have to sponsor her for PR (like a US green card). You could either apply while living in the US but with proof that you will be moving to Canada when she gets her PR or you can wait until you move to Canada to apply which means she will officially be visiting you in Canada when you first move as she is not officially allowed to live here yet and there would be a few months before she gets her PR and is allowed to start working. She would have to live in Canada for a certain number of years before she can apply for citizenship.

Should you decide to have children in the US after all but you decide to move to Canada later on, you can also sponsor your children for PR just like you can your wife as long as they are under 19 when you apply. You can then apply for Canadian citizenship for the children as soon as they are PR and living in Canada because children do not have to meet minimum residency requirements to apply for citizenship.
This is what I was looking for, thank you so much for the detailed info!