+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Key Question about Citizenship Application

montrealworker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2022
I hope I get an answer to the below one question as they are worrying me and my kids.

1- After submitting my citizenship application for me and my two kids, can i travel to stay with my spouse as he workers as a doctor in Dubai and cant leave his job. My kids need their father in their life. Would that be a problem , any good answer please (legal and client experience).

Is there a specific period, i have to return while my application is under review?

Thank you very much in advance for your help

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I hope I get an answer to the below one question as they are worrying me and my kids.

1- After submitting my citizenship application for me and my two kids, can i travel to stay with my spouse as he workers as a doctor in Dubai and cant leave his job. My kids need their father in their life. Would that be a problem , any good answer please (legal and client experience).

Is there a specific period, i have to return while my application is under review?

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5
Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
  • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014

This forum has plenty of posts about applicants who have applied for citizenship and then relocated outside Canada. Some of them even hoping that they can get the oath outside Canada. As @abbas.pasha has pointed out, make sure you are able to return to Canada with your still valid PR card for the oath when you are called for it.

Doom__V

May 6, 2018

You can travel, keep in mind you will need to give the citizenship test and if you give from outside, they put the application on hold till you return.
And then most likely return for oath!

in some cases they have accepted to give oath outside but in some cases they have declined as well

montrealworker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2022
Dear All,

Thank you very much, the PR expires in Oct 2025 and I have lived in Canada for 3.5 years + and would go out for 6-9 months only as i have my house in Montreal which i bought....

So i leave in Sept 2023 and Return on June 2024 while PR expires on Oct 2025...?

montrealworker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2022
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5
Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
  • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
Dear Abbas,

Does people who leave canada after filing be subject to delays and blackmailing's or citizenship process is fair?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Dear Abbas,

Does people who leave canada after filing be subject to delays and blackmailing's or citizenship process is fair?
Noone can say how your specific application will go, but you're entitled to go wherever you want, as long as you respect both :
- The physical presence obligations right before sending your application (3 out of 5 years)
- The PR residency obligation till the day you become a citizen (2 out of 5 years).

So yeah, leaving Canada for 9 months in a row will not be a problem regarding your eligibility.
Whether that, or anything else, causes precedural delays for your application isa different story, it's up to the agent working on your file, but there's no reason to stress here, if you're eligible when you apply, you're getting it some day down the road, hopefully after a speedy processing :)

montrealworker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2022
Noone can say how your specific application will go, but you're entitled to go wherever you want, as long as you respect both :
- The physical presence obligations right before sending your application (3 out of 5 years)
- The PR residency obligation till the day you become a citizen (2 out of 5 years).

So yeah, leaving Canada for 9 months in a row will not be a problem regarding your eligibility.
Whether that, or anything else, causes precedural delays for your application isa different story, it's up to the agent working on your file, but there's no reason to stress here, if you're eligible when you apply, you're getting it some day down the road, hopefully after a speedy processing :)
Seym, thanks a lot...

you read this: right: my dates......, the PR expires in Oct 2025 and I have lived in Canada for 3.5 years + and would go out for 6-9 months only as i have my house in Montreal which i bought....

So i leave in Sept 2023 and Return on June 2024 while PR expires on Oct 2025...?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Seym, thanks a lot...

you read this: right: my dates......, the PR expires in Oct 2025 and I have lived in Canada for 3.5 years + and would go out for 6-9 months only as i have my house in Montreal which i bought....

Just to point out that your PR doesn't expire. It's your PR card which you will need to travel back to Canada until you get your citizenship and then you will need to get your Canadian passport to travel.

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
Med's Done....
08-10-2019
Passport Req..
06-01-2020
VISA ISSUED...
24-01-2020
LANDED..........
19-09-2020
So, technically, within a 5yr period of landing in Canada, a person can stay 3 years continously within Canada (thereby simultaneously fulfliling PR residency and citizenship residency requirements), apply for naturalization with a decent buffer (say, 1095 + 21 days), get their AOR, leave Canada and as long as the application is evaluated and approved within the next 2 years (i.e. 5 years from PR start date), the applicant isn't in danger of violating any residency requirements...

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Dear Abbas,

It is quite the possibility but its not something they would document imho...
In my case.. Applicant was sent in Aug 2021. fast forward 2022, in June I reached out to IRCC to request for expedite of the application as I was supposed to travel mid of July for cpl of week.. they replied they cannot expedite the process.. at this stage background check and test were only completed rest were in process.
When I came back in early Aug, I wrote to IRCC again that I have returned to Canada and provided the boarding passes(i did not mention in this email to expedite the application). Within 3 days, all of the pending steps i.e. physical presence, language, prohibition was marked completed and in the following week, was scheduled for Oath..
But few others who reside outside there application is delayed but then there a few others whose application processing has not been impacted...

Citizenship process is like

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The Long Read (FWIW):

Others have largely well-covered the-need-to-know elements, including key conditionals and contingencies, illuminating that pending processing of a citizenship application there is NO prohibition or restriction requiring PRs to remain in Canada in order to stay eligible for a grant of citizenship, but how it actually goes can DEPEND on various factors in the individual situation.

Note the "So, technically . . . " commentary by @pumpkin_latte which in essence says If . . . if . . . if . . . and if . . . it's all good. Yeah, there are a few if this and if that contingent conditionals which can have an impact on what actually happens for a particular citizenship applicant who goes abroad for an extended period of time after applying.

What we know is that many citizenship applicants do spend a considerable amount of time abroad, including some who more or less relocate abroad after applying, and in effect easily and quickly (as easily and quickly as any other applicants, noting none done all that quickly these days) sail through the process as long as they:
-- met the qualifying (eligibility) requirements​
-- comply with the PR Residency Obligation​
-- continue to be eligible (incur no prohibitions for example)​
-- timely respond to communications from IRCC, and​
-- appear as scheduled (mostly for the oath, but potentially for in-person interview as well)​

Yeah, there are some it-depends contingencies, a few if this and if that conditionals.

Side note for clarification: if you return to Canada, as you plan, rather than staying abroad indefinitely, and are available to participate in an oath ceremony while IN Canada, the comments above about the possibility of taking the oath while outside Canada are not much relevant. There has been some reference to "in some cases they have accepted to give oath outside" Canada. It needs to be clear, however, that is an exception, and likely a rare and perhaps very rare exception. As discussed in other threads in the forum.

What we also know is that some do not sail through the process so easily. Some encounter significant delays. Why tends to be particular to the individual. Among the more common problems are logistical issues, such as circumstances making it difficult for the applicant to respond timely to communications or return to Canada in time to attend scheduled events. Other problems are those I tend to put in the category of procedural risks, with the potential for RQ-related non-routine processing tending to be the most disruptive, potentially leading to inconvenient and intrusive requests for personal information and documentation, and the possibility of a lengthy delay.

What we further know, in regards to the latter, is that historically applicants known to be abroad after applying have had an increased risk of non-routine processing, including the risk of RQ-related non-routine processing. To be clear, however, even when indications a citizenship applicant was abroad for a lengthy period after applying was an explicit factor in deciding to issue RQ (a "reason-to-question-residency" listed in operational bulletins and manuals for example), and even during the Harper-era when this was especially triggering RQ, even then many who were temporarily abroad for an extended period of time after applying did NOT encounter any non-routine processing or delays. It varied. Nonetheless, compared to applicants remaining in Canada, historically being abroad for an extended time after applying increased the procedural risk of RQ and other non-routine processing.

What we do NOT know is the extent to which that continues. The Covid related global pandemic has so disrupted processing, on one hand, and has sabotaged plans for temporary stays abroad for many on the other hand, the best anyone can reliably report is that the jury is still out on the influence an extended stay outside Canada has. Now. Let alone trying to forecast the future . . . hard enough to predict if (albeit probably a matter of when) Pierre Poilievre and the Conservatives will form a government, but not so difficult to predict that if and when they do, the risks for applicants abroad after applying will likely increase.

Leading to . . . you ask:
"Does people who leave canada after filing be subject to delays and blackmailing's or citizenship process is fair?"​

That's what lawyers would object is a compound question, aggravated by what is potentially a false dichotomy. Many applicants, whether remaining in Canada or outside Canada pending processing, are "subject to delays" for a wide range of reasons. For the vast majority of applicants the "citizenship process is fair." That is, processing can be subject to delays and still be fair, and frankly (a large contingency of forum dissent aside) is usually fair, at least comparatively (the failure of IRCC to reasonably adapt to the global pandemic has resulted in delays constituting gross unfairness, but that is mostly uniform across the full spectrum of applicants, not discriminatorily unfair).

Probably happens some, but "blackmailing" citizenship applicants is almost certainly not at all common. Unlike many countries in the world, there is generally no "bite," no bribe, at play in the ordinary bureaucratic processing of citizenship applications. No necessary bite. No advantage to be gained by offering a bribe, but rather doing so probably poses a serious risk of negative consequences.

Meanwhile, the reasons why a lengthy stay outside Canada can trigger questions and concerns leading to non-routine processing, particularly RQ-related non-routine processing, is a subject that tends to be controversial . . . suffice to note that explanations for "why" have been discussed at length, and often, in many threads here. Opposing views, particularly those rooted in what people believe the rules and process should be, rather than what they are, do not change how the process actually works. In regards to how things actually work, many of the factors that affect the risks for the applicant abroad are the same factors which influence the risk of RQ, and other non-routine processing delays, for applicants who remain in Canada. These include key factors like indications as to the applicant's credibility, and the strength of the case (which includes weight of evidence documenting presence in Canada and factors like the nature and extent of ties in Canada compared to ties abroad). The difference is that for an applicant with significant risk factors (such as an applicant with continuing strong residential ties abroad barely meeting the minimum presence requirement), the one abroad probably continues to have a higher risk.

Note: it is readily apparent that much of the abroad-after-applying commentary in this forum makes a concerted effort to frame extended periods of time abroad, that is living abroad, as "travel." The disingenuous intention is transparent. There is a difference. It is worth remembering that in dealing with IRCC credibility looms very large; credibility (which includes not just being honest, but appearing to be honest) is the next most important factor after (1) actually meeting all qualifying requirements, and (2) properly completing the application and following through.

More Re Logistical Risks: Otherwise it also warrants noting with some emphasis that many seem to underestimate the logistical risks. The realm of stuff-happens is huge. From personal unforeseen calamities (illness, car accidents, family emergencies) to broader events like war and global pandemics, there are many ways in which an individual can encounter difficulty dealing with IRCC logistically. There is no shortage of reports here, for example, of applicants who needed to reschedule their oath multiple times, and for some this has resulted in needing to start the process over again (their application being deemed abandoned).

Last edited:

montrealworker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2022
The Long Read (FWIW):

Others have largely well-covered the-need-to-know elements, including key conditionals and contingencies, illuminating that pending processing of a citizenship application there is NO prohibition or restriction requiring PRs to remain in Canada in order to stay eligible for a grant of citizenship, but how it actually goes can DEPEND on various factors in the individual situation.

Note the "So, technically . . . " commentary by @pumpkin_latte which in essence says If . . . if . . . if . . . and if . . . it's all good. Yeah, there are a few if this and if that contingent conditionals which can have an impact on what actually happens for a particular citizenship applicant who goes abroad for an extended period of time after applying.

What we know is that many citizenship applicants do spend a considerable amount of time abroad, including some who more or less relocate abroad after applying, and in effect easily and quickly (as easily and quickly as any other applicants, noting none done all that quickly these days) sail through the process as long as they:
-- met the qualifying (eligibility) requirements​
-- comply with the PR Residency Obligation​
-- continue to be eligible (incur no prohibitions for example)​
-- timely respond to communications from IRCC, and​
-- appear as scheduled (mostly for the oath, but potentially for in-person interview as well)​

Yeah, there are some it-depends contingencies, a few if this and if that conditionals.

Side note for clarification: if you return to Canada, as you plan, rather than staying abroad indefinitely, and are available to participate in an oath ceremony while IN Canada, the comments above about the possibility of taking the oath while outside Canada are not much relevant. There has been some reference to "in some cases they have accepted to give oath outside" Canada. It needs to be clear, however, that is an exception, and likely a rare and perhaps very rare exception. As discussed in other threads in the forum.

What we also know is that some do not sail through the process so easily. Some encounter significant delays. Why tends to be particular to the individual. Among the more common problems are logistical issues, such as circumstances making it difficult for the applicant to respond timely to communications or return to Canada in time to attend scheduled events. Other problems are those I tend to put in the category of procedural risks, with the potential for RQ-related non-routine processing tending to be the most disruptive, potentially leading to inconvenient and intrusive requests for personal information and documentation, and the possibility of a lengthy delay.

What we further know, in regards to the latter, is that historically applicants known to be abroad after applying have had an increased risk of non-routine processing, including the risk of RQ-related non-routine processing. To be clear, however, even when indications a citizenship applicant was abroad for a lengthy period after applying was an explicit factor in deciding to issue RQ (a "reason-to-question-residency" listed in operational bulletins and manuals for example), and even during the Harper-era when this was especially triggering RQ, even then many who were temporarily abroad for an extended period of time after applying did NOT encounter any non-routine processing or delays. It varied. Nonetheless, compared to applicants remaining in Canada, historically being abroad for an extended time after applying increased the procedural risk of RQ and other non-routine processing.

What we do NOT know is the extent to which that continues. The Covid related global pandemic has so disrupted processing, on one hand, and has sabotaged plans for temporary stays abroad for many on the other hand, the best anyone can reliably report is that the jury is still out on the influence an extended stay outside Canada has. Now. Let alone trying to forecast the future . . . hard enough to predict if (albeit probably a matter of when) Pierre Poilievre and the Conservatives will form a government, but not so difficult to predict that if and when they do, the risks for applicants abroad after applying will likely increase.

Leading to . . . you ask:
"Does people who leave canada after filing be subject to delays and blackmailing's or citizenship process is fair?"​

That's what lawyers would object is a compound question, aggravated by what is potentially a false dichotomy. Many applicants, whether remaining in Canada or outside Canada pending processing, are "subject to delays" for a wide range of reasons. For the vast majority of applicants the "citizenship process is fair." That is, processing can be subject to delays and still be fair, and frankly (a large contingency of forum dissent aside) is usually fair, at least comparatively (the failure of IRCC to reasonably adapt to the global pandemic has resulted in delays constituting gross unfairness, but that is mostly uniform across the full spectrum of applicants, not discriminatorily unfair).

Probably happens some, but "blackmailing" citizenship applicants is almost certainly not at all common. Unlike many countries in the world, there is generally no "bite," no bribe, at play in the ordinary bureaucratic processing of citizenship applications. No necessary bite. No advantage to be gained by offering a bribe, but rather doing so probably poses a serious risk of negative consequences.

Meanwhile, the reasons why a lengthy stay outside Canada can trigger questions and concerns leading to non-routine processing, particularly RQ-related non-routine processing, is a subject that tends to be controversial . . . suffice to note that explanations for "why" have been discussed at length, and often, in many threads here. Opposing views, particularly those rooted in what people believe the rules and process should be, rather than what they are, do not change how the process actually works. In regards to how things actually work, many of the factors that affect the risks for the applicant abroad are the same factors which influence the risk of RQ, and other non-routine processing delays, for applicants who remain in Canada. These include key factors like indications as to the applicant's credibility, and the strength of the case (which includes weight of evidence documenting presence in Canada and factors like the nature and extent of ties in Canada compared to ties abroad). The difference is that for an applicant with significant risk factors (such as an applicant with continuing strong residential ties abroad barely meeting the minimum presence requirement), the one abroad probably continues to have a higher risk.

Note: it is readily apparent that much of the abroad-after-applying commentary in this forum makes a concerted effort to frame extended periods of time abroad, that is living abroad, as "travel." The disingenuous intention is transparent. There is a difference. It is worth remembering that in dealing with IRCC credibility looms very large; credibility (which includes not just being honest, but appearing to be honest) is the next most important factor after (1) actually meeting all qualifying requirements, and (2) properly completing the application and following through.

More Re Logistical Risks: Otherwise it also warrants noting with some emphasis that many seem to underestimate the logistical risks. The realm of stuff-happens is huge. From personal unforeseen calamities (illness, car accidents, family emergencies) to broader events like war and global pandemics, there are many ways in which an individual can encounter difficulty dealing with IRCC logistically. There is no shortage of reports here, for example, of applicants who needed to reschedule their oath multiple times, and for some this has resulted in needing to start the process over again (their application being deemed abandoned).

Thanks a lot! you covered many issues ..... the one thing for sure, economy is in horrible situation, thus , driving new immigrants crazy will lead to a bigger problem.... many countries are not easing work permits and opening path for new immigrant..

So immigrants who work abroad to pay their house loans and taxes in Canada get chassed out, why you say that?

i am not sure i understood your point that a new government will be elected to chase immigrant out??? in this crazy economical situations? which wont be fixed for at least 2-4 years.

Why you think they would do that??

Last edited:

montrealworker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2022
It is quite the possibility but its not something they would document imho...
In my case.. Applicant was sent in Aug 2021. fast forward 2022, in June I reached out to IRCC to request for expedite of the application as I was supposed to travel mid of July for cpl of week.. they replied they cannot expedite the process.. at this stage background check and test were only completed rest were in process.
When I came back in early Aug, I wrote to IRCC again that I have returned to Canada and provided the boarding passes(i did not mention in this email to expedite the application). Within 3 days, all of the pending steps i.e. physical presence, language, prohibition was marked completed and in the following week, was scheduled for Oath..
But few others who reside outside there application is delayed but then there a few others whose application processing has not been impacted...

Citizenship process is like
Hi Abbas, do you have a reference to immigration consultant who can look at my details and provide guidance plsss..

Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Abbas, do you have a reference to immigration consultant who can look at my details and provide guidance plsss..

Thanks
Any immigration lawyer/consultant you approach will charge you (at least $100 or more to be begin with for the first consultation) and provide with similar answer which I shared above...
Its not worth the effort...