+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Key Question about Citizenship Application

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks a lot! you covered many issues ..... the one thing for sure, economy is in horrible situation, thus , driving new immigrants crazy will lead to a bigger problem.... many countries are not easing work permits and opening path for new immigrant..

So immigrants who work abroad to pay their house loans and taxes in Canada get chassed out, why you say that?

i am not sure i understood your point that a new government will be elected to chase immigrant out??? in this crazy economical situations? which wont be fixed for at least 2-4 years.

Why you think they would do that??
I do not have a clue what the "immigrants who work abroad to pay their house loans and taxes in Canada get chassed out" is about. I did not say that. Not close.

That said, there are no work in Canada, spend money in Canada, or even pay taxes in Canada requirements to qualify for a grant of citizenship . . . AND no preference based on these either. (There is an eligibility requirement based on compliance with CRA tax filing rules, but that is only for the period of years prior to the date of applying, and it makes no difference for citizenship eligibility if the PR pays taxes or not . . . for purposes of qualifying for citizenship, the PR on social assistance is equal to fattest of the fat cats.)

As for potential changes in policies and practices if a Conservative government is formed following an election, notwithstanding the window-washing air-brush effort Poilievre has engaged in over the last year, he was a Cabinet member in the Harper government and many see him even further to the right on immigration than Harper. Remember, it was the Harper government which changed the law so that just living abroad after applying would be grounds for denying a citizenship application, a provision (the so-called intent-to-continue-residing-in-Canada requirement) that was promptly repealed when the Liberals formed a majority government. Few anticipate the Conservatives will go to that extreme again, but there is very little doubt that a Conservative government will be tougher and stricter on many if not most immigrants (but yeah, they tend to bend in the direction of discriminatory, when it suits, so certain segments of immigration perceived to bring select economic-related benefits to Canada will likely fare better, if Poilievre forms the next government, while many if not most others will not).

I have my prejudices as well . . . to my view it is far better to employ the services of an immigration lawyer, if needed, rather than a consultant.