+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Keeping PR after accepting permanent job offer

thejackson5

May 12, 2018
Hi there,

I have been working under an employer in Montreal with my Canadian working holiday visa. He likes my work and wants to sponsor me as a permanent foreign worker.

Assuming all goes well and the job offer is approved, giving me Canadian permanent residency, three questions:
1. Is there a minimum length of time that I need to stay with this employer before switching jobs or simply quitting? In theory, could I quit this job the day after my PR is finalised, and stay a PR?
2. Does the answer to #1 change if the company goes under? I am working for a small startup without much job security. If everything is finalised, I am given my PR, and the company goes under the next day, do I get to keep my PR?
3. Apart from the answers to #1 and #2, and apart from the requirement of spending at least 2 years out of 5 in Canada, are there any other requirements (either federal or provincial) to maintain PR status that I should be aware of?

In case these questions seem suspicious, I want to clarify that I'm not planning anything nefarious like actually quitting the day after I get PR. I just want to obsessively make sure that I understand every little detail about my PR and how to avoid losing it, as I've worked for years to finally get to where I'm hopefully going to be in a few weeks in terms of immigration status.

Thank you!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think you need to really do some research on becoming a PR. A job offer is not going to give you Permanent Residency. It is not that cut and dry
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

You apply to become a PR thru one of the PR streams in the link above

What do you mean when you say that your employer wants to sponsor you as a permanent foreign worker ? Employers can submit a LMIA to the ESDC, to ensure that no Canadian or PR can do the job BEFORE it is offered to a foreigner. That costs$1000 and takes 3-4 months. That is a closed work permit, you are restricted to only that employer, no one else, but it does NOT make you a permanent resident
Him liking your work, does not guarantee that you will be authorized a positive LMIA
I see you started your WHV back in May/2018, how long is it authorized for ?

Last edited:

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If you receive PR based on this LMIA job offer, then you are not required to remain with that employer at all. You can potentially quit on the same day.