+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just starting out!

AJE

Mar 16, 2008
I don't think you have to stay there for a certain amount of time. I'm sure once you go across the border back into canada they are going to have you check into the immigration office and ask you all the basic information again;bank statement to support yourself, something that'll say you will go back to the states such as something from your work , train/airline ticket and so on. Wouldn't it just be easier for you to apply for the extended visitors visa?

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
you are SUPPOSE to go back to the US and stay for 6 months, technically you are only allowed in canada 6 months out of a year. But i believe you can file an extension to stay longer if you are running out of time til your PR is finished.

lumpydog1970

Mar 16, 2008
We thought we were doing everything right! Now I feel like crying my eyes out!!!! So are you saying that he SHOULD'NT try to drive back in a couple of weeks like he has planned? He left a few days before his 6 months was up because we thought he had to legally. Then when he drives back in a few weeks we were going to start the pr process. We did'nt start it this time because we thought that once you started it, you could not leave the country for 2 years and he wanted to go see his parents one more time before we started this whole thing. I did not know that he could'nt come back after only a few weeks of being away back in the US.
Should I tell him not to come back?????

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
did they stamp his passport? is there any record that he came or for how long?

and dont get me wrong, if you file outland you can come and go, but each time you come across the border, there is a chance they can deny you, depending on the mood of the border person.also if he gets his passport stamped for 6 months and he leaves, again theres always a chance they wont let him back

now if you are doing inland then yes he can not leave until the process is over, but he will have implied status and can get an OWP with AIP if you file that application at the same time as PR.

lumpydog1970

Mar 16, 2008
Hi again!

They did not stamp his passport because he does not have one (one reason why he went back so he can get one). They also did not ask him where he had been in Canada or how long he had stayed. They just took his drivers licence and birth certificate.
He is driving from the other side of the country from where I am from in Canada so I don't want him to drive all that way (4 days) to get rejected at the border.
I just don't know what to tell him to do!