+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just Met 730 days in Past 5 Years

Hickory29

Jul 18, 2018
Hi, I returned to Canada two years ago after being out for about 3 years with expired PR card and I did not get reported. I live in Canada without going out, exploring a new business and recently I have established a company.

Unfortunately, my mother, 78 years old, is not well and I really want to visit her since I have not seen her for more than 2 years. I have just completed 730 days in Canada and I worry if I apply now for PR card, it would bring a lot of questions for on income etc. I did not work and had lived out of my savings from before. Just started to have some income with my new company now. I had filed tax in the past 2 years. My PR card had been expired for few years. I was not

- Is the criteria for applying renewal PR card depends only on number of days in Canada? Or the job/income factor will be important?
- Can I apply for urgent application since I would like to visit my mother soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that you just surpassed the 730 days you will likely end up in secondary review. Highly unlikely you would qualify for urgent processing. If you are sure you qualify you can leave the country and either apply for a PRTD or fly into the US and cross the border by land in a private vehicle using expired card or COPR. Be very careful. You are currently on a rolling period for the 2 years out of 5r equirement. You must meet the 2 out of 5 RO at any point. If you have only just met 730 you will soon be out of status if you leave Canada. Out of curiosity how did you manage to not get reported with an expired PR card?

Hickory29

Jul 18, 2018
Given that you just surpassed the 730 days you will likely end up in secondary review. Highly unlikely you would qualify for urgent processing. If you are sure you qualify you can leave the country and either apply for a PRTD or fly into the US and cross the border by land in a private vehicle using expired card or COPR. Be very careful. You are currently on a rolling period for the 2 years out of 5r equirement. You must meet the 2 out of 5 RO at any point. If you have only just met 730 you will soon be out of status if you leave Canada. Out of curiosity how did you manage to not get reported with an expired PR card?
I will not be out of status soon since I just stayed for a bit more than 730 days straight from 2016-2018. I went through US border and was questioned by the secondary officer on why I did not return earlier but did not get reported. I openly told him the situation of health situation of my father who just passed away few weeks before I finally returned to Canada. I plan to be going back for 1-2 months to be with my mother. She is not mobile anymore.

What is the ideal time to apply for PR card? Should I wait for 1 month or so? How to approve that I have been qualified since I have no job.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You don't actually need to be employed so that shouldn't delay you. Without waiting for a few more months you will likely end up in secondary review and there is still a high probability you will still end up in secondary review. As previously specified you have the option of prtd or us border to return.

Hickory29

Jul 18, 2018
You don't actually need to be employed so that shouldn't delay you. Without waiting for a few more months you will likely end up in secondary review and there is still a high probability you will still end up in secondary review. As previously specified you have the option of prtd or us border to return.
If I still apply for PR card and end up with secondary review, what is the implication? Can I go out for urgent trip by then? The CIC should be able to get my data from CBSA and get my in and out of Canada data? PRTD will be very inconvenient for me since my mother lives in a small town far from foreign embassy. Besides, isn’t it more risky to apply for PRTD than PR card?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Secondary review will take many months. Closer to a year. Where are you from? If you need to go by air you need a prtd or pr card. Otherwise you can go by private car with expired pr card and/or copr and explain that you are renewing your pr card

Hickory29

Jul 18, 2018
During the secondary review, CIC will check if number of days I have stayed in past 5 years are 730 days or more, right? Will it be possible for them to question the time before the past 5 years, when I have not met the 730 days requirement?