+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just married, left CA, re-entry.

kc8pnd

Dec 18, 2011
My girlfriend of 3 years and I were married this past November. December was my last month of my 6 month stay so instead of starting the immigration process I went ahead and came home for Christmas on the 14th.
Will I have a hard time in on the 28th in Toronto when I try to cross back? I have marriage license, insurance and my wife will be supporting us. I'm really nervous they will not allow me to stay this time. Our intent is to do the immigration process legally.

Thanks for any insight on this situation.
Mike~

lorierasilian

Dec 5, 2011
When you re-enter Canada, you need to demonstrate that you will remain in Canada temporarily in order to be issued a visitor status. To do this, you need to demonstrate your departure date, your ties to your home country as well as your financial capability to remain in Canada without working. Even if you are married, you still need to demonstrate that you will leave Canada at the expiration of your visitor status. If asked, you should indicate to the officer that you plan to start the sponsorship process but you would like to stay with your spouse in Canada during the process.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Do you need a visa to enter Canada?

kc8pnd said:
My girlfriend of 3 years and I were married this past November. December was my last month of my 6 month stay so instead of starting the immigration process I went ahead and came home for Christmas on the 14th.
Will I have a hard time in on the 28th in Toronto when I try to cross back? I have marriage license, insurance and my wife will be supporting us. I'm really nervous they will not allow me to stay this time. Our intent is to do the immigration process legally.

Thanks for any insight on this situation.
Mike~

lorierasilian

Dec 5, 2011
It depends. If you are from a visa exempt country no, but you still need to demonstrate your intention to remain in Canada as a visitor to be allowed entry. If you are not from a visa exempt country, then you need to apply for a TRV before travelling to Canada.