+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just landed and was planning to sponsor someone.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone. I just got here in Canada last May 3, 2015 and was planning to sponsor my boyfriend (the father of my 1yr old son). However, we cannot get married since I was sponsored by my Mom as single (marital status) by the time I got pregnant. So what we did is just to include my son to the application and fortunately it was approved and he's here with me in Canada. So what do you guys think is the best thing to do for my boyfriend to be with us here in Canada? Thanks in advance :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Now that you're a PR it's fine to get married and then sponsor him as your spouse.

However, before you landed as PR did you live with your boyfriend for 1 year or longer?

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Meaning to say I should go back to the Philippines and marry him right? So that I could start the application right away.
No, we didnt live together though we are on the same city. His work is quite far from his place thats why he just come home weekly and that means we only get to see each other everytime he comes home. What I normally do is we (my baby and I) sleep at their house everytime he's there. Is that counted as living together?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
No, probably not. You had an official address that was different than his official address while in the same city, right? If so, that should be fine.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
I just wonder if you declared only the baby but not the relation with your partner,n because in order for you to sponsor him you need to have declared the relation. If you did you can sponsor him with no problem, but if not it may be a problem. Common law would apply to your case as you guys have a baby together. Rob-to can give more off his wisdom in cases like yours, which happen very often. Good luck.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
You have one option you get married and you sponsor him as your husband. If you had ived with him for 12 months then he would have been common aw and you would not have been approved with your mothers application. HE RUES STATES :

A dependent of a dependent who is not married or in a common aw relationship . That is you.

To sponsor your boyfriend you are going to need lots of proof . I would suggest looking through this forum and gaining some knowledge of how to prove that you have been in some sort of courtship. So to answer your question YES you can sponsor your boyfriend once you get married unless he can come here for a visit and get married here .

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
taffy7 said:
You have one option you get married and you sponsor him as your husband. If you had ived with him for 12 months then he would have been common aw and you would not have been approved with your mothers application. HE RUES STATES :

A dependent of a dependent who is not married or in a common aw relationship . That is you.

To sponsor your boyfriend you are going to need lots of proof . I would suggest looking through this forum and gaining some knowledge of how to prove that you have been in some sort of courtship. So to answer your question YES you can sponsor your boyfriend once you get married unless he can come here for a visit and get married here .
Good point, the fact that was not common law helpped her to get approved. With the baby, my concern is that immigration needed to know about the relation in order for her to applly for himm now.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awesomeg said:
I just wonder if you declared only the baby but not the relation with your partner,n because in order for you to sponsor him you need to have declared the relation. If you did you can sponsor him with no problem, but if not it may be a problem. Common law would apply to your case as you guys have a baby together. Rob-to can give more off his wisdom in cases like yours, which happen very often. Good luck.
Who is Rob-to?

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
taffy7 said:

Thanks for the advice. Now Im curious about the last statement. You mean he can avail a visitors visa then we can get married here? Then after that what happens? Would that make him eligible to apply for PR?

mrsB

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2015
Doc's Request.
10-06-2015
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
HOPEFULLY SOON!
LANDED..........
SOONEST POSSIBLE TIME! :D
we were on the same situation, what i did was. Upon landing, i got a job. Went back home to get married, and now we are on the process of our spousal sponsorship application. Give it some time. Focus on adjusting to your new life in canada, get a job and then start your spousal application.:) Goodluck, and i hope you can all be reunited at the right time too. :)

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrsB said:
we were on the same situation, what i did was. Upon landing, i got a job. Went back home to get married, and now we are on the process of our spousal sponsorship application. Give it some time. Focus on adjusting to your new life in canada, get a job and then start your spousal application.:) Goodluck, and i hope you can all be reunited at the right time too. :)
Hi! It was nice talking to someone who was in the same situation as mine. You mean you also have your child with you?

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
There is a lot of work to be done before you will be able to sponsor him with out being rejected. You need to prove this is a genuine marriage. A baby is good but it won't give any guarantee that they will think automatically that it is genuine.

You will need to explain how you are going to support yourself, baby and your husband when he comes to Canada .

Please through spousal sponsorship to get an idea of what documents you will need to prove your marriage is genuine, that's going to be a very important part of your application.

Rob -TO is a senior forum member and is very knowledgeable about Manila sponsorship.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much taffy7 for that information. Btw where can I find Rob-TO and how can I talk to him?

mrsB

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2015
Doc's Request.
10-06-2015
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
HOPEFULLY SOON!
LANDED..........
SOONEST POSSIBLE TIME! :D
Denise13 said:
Hi! It was nice talking to someone who was in the same situation as mine. You mean you also have your child with you?
Yes, exactly the same situation, baby is with me, entered canada as PR,(dependent of my mom), then boyfriend (Now Husband) and I never lived together before too. So best thing to do is to wait a little while, get a job (because before they approve you to be a sponsor, you should be able to prove CIC that you can support both you, your child and your husband when he comes to canada) and that you shouldn't be receiving welfare from the gov't. You might encounter some advice that it is not necessary to have a certain amount of money in your bank account but it is highly adviseable if you can present them a certificate of employment.:) i wish you well on your application. We're on the same boat.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrsB said:
Yes, exactly the same situation, baby is with me, entered canada as PR,(dependent of my mom), then boyfriend (Now Husband) and I never lived together before too. So best thing to do is to wait a little while, get a job (because before they approve you to be a sponsor, you should be able to prove CIC that you can support both you, your child and your husband when he comes to canada) and that you shouldn't be receiving welfare from the gov't. You might encounter some advice that it is not necessary to have a certain amount of money in your bank account but it is highly adviseable if you can present them a certificate of employment.:) i wish you well on your application. We're on the same boat.
Thank you so much. I can see you're from Philippines too. I really appreciate your advice. I think I should keep in touch with you for some advices since we were on the same situation