+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just in: New 4/6 rule in force as of JUNE 11, 2015

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ApMaria said:
•Eliminates use of time spent in Canada as a non-permanent resident (non-PR) for most applicants (in effect June 11, 2015)

What does it mean for most applicants? Is there any exception?

Thx.
This is the only part of the new rules I don't agree with. It means if you were here on study permit / work permit / visitor vida before applying for PR, you can't count half of those days toward your citizenship (old rule, you could use up to one year).

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
OP_POP said:
This is the only part of the new rules I don't agree with. It means if you were here on study permit / work permit / visitor vida before applying for PR, you can't count half of those days toward your citizenship (old rule, you could use up to one year).
Why do you not agree with cancelling pre-PR days. I happen to agree with cancelling Pre-PR days towards citizenship as you are in fact temporary in Canada. There is no stipulation that having a temporary visa stay means that you are in fact staying in Canada permanently. It is no different from any other countries citizenship qualifications. The first day of qualification towards citizenship starts on your first day as PR.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't think it's quite cut and dry like that. One might have a temporary status but they are physically present and may have made the decision to stay permanently way before even completing a university program or their first contract. Pre-PR time is only credited up to 1 year, so people still had to be PR for at least 2 yrs.

If the gov't wants people to feel/have a connection to Canada when they become a citizen, look no further than to foreign students and workers who establish deep roots and already have this commitment long before becoming PR and citizens eventually.

A better compromise might have been to make it applicable to those becoming PR on or after June 11, 2015.

screech339 said:
Why do you not agree with cancelling pre-PR days. I happen to agree with cancelling Pre-PR days towards citizenship as you are in fact temporary in Canada. There is no stipulation that having a temporary visa stay means that you are in fact staying in Canada permanently. It is no different from any other countries citizenship qualifications. The first day of qualification towards citizenship starts on your first day as PR.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
I agree with SenoritaBella. Time and again Screech continues with his anti-immigrant ideas.

SenoritaBella said:
I don't think it's quite cut and dry like that. One might have a temporary status but they are physically present and may have made the decision to stay permanently way before even completing a university program or their first contract. Pre-PR time is only credited up to 1 year, so people still had to be PR for at least 2 yrs.

If the gov't wants people to feel/have a connection to Canada when they become a citizen, look no further than to foreign students and workers who establish deep roots and already have this commitment long before becoming PR and citizens eventually.

A better compromise might have been to make it applicable to those becoming PR on or after June 11, 2015.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
SenoritaBella said:

To me, it makes more sense to count your pre-PR days towards PR qualifications. If you decide to stay permanently in Canada while under temporary visa, it should count towards PR qualification since PR means you are permanently staying in Canada. Nothing anti-immigrant about that.

Besides if you want to stay in Canada from temporary status (visitor/study/work), the status is called Permanent Resident. Not Canadian citizenship.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
CanadianCountry said:
I agree with SenoritaBella. Time and again Screech continues with his anti-immigrant ideas.
If I am so anti-immigrant as you claim I am, I wouldn't have married my wife.

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
screech339 said:
Either you have never been a foreign student or temporary worker in this country or you are simply ignorant. Let's tackle this with logic and facts:
1. Australia recognizes pre-PR days for citizenship and is very proud of that. The best way to have law abiding citizens and well integrated immigrants is to make them feel welcomed; not by alienating them. I feel that completely disregarding pre-PR time is inconsiderate and people that think it's right to do that simply don't know what they are talking about. Period.
2. As a temporary foreign worker, you live here, you pay taxes here, you contribute here, you probably fund the retirement or welfare for many citizens in this country.... how are you any different than a PR? you are most likely not a PR yet for some reason out of your control... you are waiting a decision on your PR application, or dealing with CIC's that takes ages to process applications.
3. As a foreign student, you pay a fortune to study here; you don't benefit from anything in this country (healthcare, bursaries or loans) but you live here, spend money here, work here part-time and in the summer.... you don't think you are contributing?

So in light of the facts above, why not recognize some pre-PR time. I have observed your comments in this forum; they are often derogatory and simply ignorant. You sound like someone that has no clue when it comes to Immigration. Educate yourself before giving biased opinions that have no facts behind them.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
I agree with sam.

Who knows what your secret intentions are? Your comments suggest your strong anti-immigrant sentiments.

screech339 said:
If I am so anti-immigrant as you claim I am, I wouldn't have married my wife.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sam_1985 said:
Either you have never been a foreign student or temporary worker in this country or you are simply ignorant. Let's tackle this with logic and facts:
1. Australia recognizes pre-PR days for citizenship and is very proud of that. The best way to have law abiding citizens and well integrated immigrants is to make them feel welcomed; not by alienating them. I feel that completely disregarding pre-PR time is inconsiderate and people that think it's right to do that simply don't know what they are talking about. Period.
2. As a temporary foreign worker, you live here, you pay taxes here, you contribute here, you probably many canadian citizens retirements or welfare for many lazy who also live in this country.... how are you any different that a PR? you are not a PR yet for some reason out of your control... you are waiting a decision on your PR application, or dealing with CIC's incompetent people that take ages to process applications.
3. As a foreign student, you pay a fortune to study here; you don't benefit from anything in this country (healthcare, bursaries or loans) but you live here, spend money here, work here part-time and in the summer.... you don't think you are contributing?

So in light of the facts above, why not recognize some time pre-PR. I have observed your comments in this forum; they are derogatory and simply ignorant. You sound like someone that has no clue when it comes to Immigration. Educate yourself before giving biased opinions that have no facts behind them.
1) you used Australia as one example. Any other countries that offer Pre-PR days besides them out of 130 or so nations? I wouldn't be surprised if in the future that Australia would remove Pre-PR days if it came to that.

2) everyone pay taxes regardless if they are citizens or not. Has nothing to do with citizenship so paying taxes doesn't give anyone a right to citizenship just because they pay taxes. Even as a temporary worker, your taxes pay for medical care, roads, police, fire stations, etc, nothing to do with citizenship. In fact you can claim CPP when you retire no matter where you live or what status you had in Canada since you contributed towards it.

3) actually, you benefit free healthcare as a student.

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
screech339 said:
1) you used Australia as one example. Any other countries that offer Pre-PR days besides them out of 130 or so nations? I wouldn't be surprised if in the future that Australia would remove Pre-PR days if it came to that.

2) everyone pay taxes regardless if they are citizens or not. Has nothing to do with citizenship so paying taxes doesn't give anyone a right to citizenship just because they pay taxes. Even as a temporary worker, your taxes pay for medical care, roads, police, fire stations, etc, nothing to do with citizenship. In fact you can claim CPP when you retire no matter where you live or what status you had in Canada since you contributed towards it.

3) actually, you benefit free healthcare as a student.
You pay taxes in the country hence you are fully entitled to have a say in the country's politics.... but you can't vote until you are a citizen. By not recognizing any pre-PR time, you simply make the person feel that their contributions mean nothing to the country.

On the healthcare for students point, again you have no clue... I have been a foreign student here for 9 years before becoming PR and always paid health insurance annually (it was actually built into my tuition fees) and had to pay every time I went to see a doctor (and file a claim to get money back from the insurance company) - is that considered free in your books? if so, check the dictionary please.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
I just hope they don't start to be inhumanly picky about the last applications before the cut-off date.
We are all humans we we all make minors mistakes like forgetting to put "N/A" in some boxes and stuff.
I really hope (and expect) that they give a very human treatment to those applications.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Just FYI... foreign students are eligible for provincial healthcare after living in a province for 13 consecutive months. It's renewable yearly and you need to disclose if you have been outside the province for 30 consecutive days. Many students don't know this and continue paying for health insurance annually. This is something the International Student office should tell students.

But you are correct in that foreign students pay taxes, etc but are not eligible for many scholarships, gov't loans, welfare and other social benefits. The issue with this law is the gov't claims to want citizens that have formed a deep connection with the country but in the same breathe enacts a law that does not favor these very group of would-be citizens.

As for voting, the Mayor of my city has talked about making PRs eligible to vote in municipal/local elections. No word yet on how far the proposal went.

sam_1985 said:
You pay taxes in the country hence you are fully entitled to have a say in the country's politics.... but you can't vote until you are a citizen. By not recognizing any pre-PR time, you simply make the person feel that their contributions mean nothing to the country.

On the healthcare for students point, again you have no clue... I have been a foreign student here for 9 years before becoming PR and always paid health insurance annually (it was actually built into my tuition fees) and had to pay every time I went to see a doctor (and file a claim to get money back from the insurance company) - is that considered free in your books? if so, check the dictionary please.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
That will not work because PR qualification all about having at least 1 year of full-time skilled work experience (or part-time equivalent). How long one takes to achieve the work experience is not an issue. Also, how will your proposal work for those who don't have pre-PR time (i.e. overseas applicants)?

A PR with a job that requires frequent travel is at a disadvantage. I see comments in this forum where applicants need citizenship in order to get a good job/promotion. If the idea is that waiting 4 out of 6 yrs will build a "stronger" sense of belonging, I doubt very much. That's a decision individuals make based on several factors - rewarding job/career, family, community ties, feeling welcome, etc. A citizen of convenience has no issue waiting, their end point will arrive at some point. Meanwhile a well meaning citizen, the longer they wait, they more alienated they feel.

screech339 said:
To me, it makes more sense to count your pre-PR days towards PR qualifications. If you decide to stay permanently in Canada while under temporary visa, it should count towards PR qualification since PR means you are permanently staying in Canada. Nothing anti-immigrant about that.

Besides if you want to stay in Canada from temporary status (visitor/study/work), the status is called Permanent Resident. Not Canadian citizenship.

crimesinister

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
I'm planning to mount and injunction to stop the provisions of Bill C-24 coming into force on June 11. The basis of my injunction are as follows:

1. CIC didn't pre-publish the proposed regulation in the Canada Gazette, Part I as required by specific legal requirements set out in the Statutory Instruments Act and by policy requirements that are articulated in the Cabinet Directive on Streamlining Regulation (CDSR). CIC did publish "Notice of Intent," but not the proposed regulations including the regulatory impact assessment statement (RIAS). In Tłı̨chǫ Government v. Canada (Attorney General), the court held that "Consultation in a manner that conforms to the legal obligations of the consulting party must occur before the impugned activity takes place. As it is aimed at fostering agreement, consultation which occurs after the fact will likely be largely meaningless and the harm that ensues cannot be compensated through damages" and granted Tłı̨chǫ Government injuctive relief and ordered suspending the coming into force of the impugned regulations.

2. Just for good measure, I am going to argue that the "intent to reside" provision of the regulations coming into force are not compatible with the S6 of the Charter with states 6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada

My plan is to get a lawyer first thing Monday morning and proceed with this. I invite anyone interested to collaborate with me to make this happen by responding here.

peterperez

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
crimesinister said:
I'm planning to mount and injunction to stop the provisions of Bill C-24 coming into force on June 11. The basis of my injunction are as follows:

1. CIC didn't pre-publish the proposed regulation in the Canada Gazette, Part I as required by specific legal requirements set out in the Statutory Instruments Act and by policy requirements that are articulated in the Cabinet Directive on Streamlining Regulation (CDSR). CIC did publish "Notice of Intent," but not the proposed regulations including the regulatory impact assessment statement (RIAS). In Tłı̨chǫ Government v. Canada (Attorney General), the court held that "Consultation in a manner that conforms to the legal obligations of the consulting party must occur before the impugned activity takes place. As it is aimed at fostering agreement, consultation which occurs after the fact will likely be largely meaningless and the harm that ensues cannot be compensated through damages" and granted Tłı̨chǫ Government injuctive relief and ordered suspending the coming into force of the impugned regulations.

2. Just for good measure, I am going to argue that the "intent to reside" provision of the regulations coming into force are not compatible with the S6 of the Charter with states 6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada

My plan is to get a lawyer first thing Monday morning and proceed with this. I invite anyone interested to collaborate with me to make this happen by responding here.
You are on the right path lets do it

If u need assistance with money lets make a meeting and do it