+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just got PR . How to sponsor wife

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Hi All,

I need sincere advise. I just got my PR visa (Aug 2010) from Buffalo. I applied last year from the US. I have not landed in Canada yet.

I got married in March 2010, but I did not inform the visa office so that I don't disturb my visa process, and add further delays.

Now that I have got the PR, what should I do about my wife? Will there be a problem if I apply for her visitor visa? Will the the Buffalo office find out that I did not inform them about my marital status when my PR application was in process?

Really appreciate your advise/help.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

visiting_canada said:
Hi All,

I need sincere advise. I just got my PR visa (Aug 2010) from Buffalo. I applied last year from the US. I have not landed in Canada yet.

I got married in March 2010, but I did not inform the visa office so that I don't disturb my visa process, and add further delays.

Now that I have got the PR, what should I do about my wife? Will there be a problem if I apply for her visitor visa? Will the the Buffalo office find out that I did not inform them about my marital status when my PR application was in process?

Really appreciate your advise/help.

Thanks.
1. Well your PR visa is no longer valid as you didn't declare your wife and she wasn't examined.
2. If you go ahead and land without the wife being examined, she is no longer a member of the family class and cannot be sponsored. You would probably be reported for misrepresentation.
3. So return your passport and visa to Buffalo and ask for instructions.

P

pv

why someone has to hide something which is not an offence from visa office
as PMM mentioned, your PR is not valid and no one here in forum will be sure how the VO will react on this..

if you could have informed abt ur marriage in march itself then by now you both would have PR

As per records in CIC, till today you are not married

only option I feel is that ( may be weired and stupid idea)

if you can show that you are marriage after Aug2010 .... :) some silly thoughts may not be ideal

but you have spoiled your PR of your own

CIC has always mentioned in each communication that if there is any change in family composition then pl inform immediatly but you just ignored and mislead CIC

good luck,

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Dear PMM,

I do not have a Marriage Certificate yet. Can I land as single, and then may be after 6 months apply for my wife's PR. Or I can apply for her visitor visa in the meatime?

Thanks,
Nitin

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

visiting_canada said:
Dear PMM,

I do not have a Marriage Certificate yet. Can I land as single, and then may be after 6 months apply for my wife's PR. Or I can apply for her visitor visa in the meatime?

Thanks,
Nitin
I told you what you must do, if you don't you are just digging yourself a hole that you will never get out of.

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Hi,

If I declare my marriage happened after August 2010, will that be ok? I know it is not right. But I dont have any other option at this time.

Thanks.

P

pv

hopefully that will be your only option...

every where you need to show your marriage certifcate to prove your marraige if you don't have yet then you can try this option, knowing its wrong but i don't see other way around ...

To sponsor someone you need to be in Canada on job for a year, show sufficient funds
you may want to check from CIC how to sponsor a spouse

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks PV.

Can I apply visitor visa for my wife so that she can join me after I land in Canada? And then, I can file her PR when I have complete 1 year in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pv said:
hopefully that will be your only option...

every where you need to show your marriage certifcate to prove your marraige if you don't have yet then you can try this option, knowing its wrong but i don't see other way around ...

To sponsor someone you need to be in Canada on job for a year, show sufficient funds
you may want to check from CIC how to sponsor a spouse
Wrong, you don't have to be in Canada for a year to submit a spousal sponsorship. The OP is in a world of trouble.

reachmenow

May 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Family PGP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2015
Doc's Request.
07-JULY-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
24-06-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-June-2016
Med's Request
07-July-2016
Med's Done....
08-Aug-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-March-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-March-2017
LANDED..........
Sometime Before August 2017
Hi,

while i do understand the temptation to not disclose marriage as it would have delayed PR for sometime however postponing the marriage by few months or until PR would have been a better option.

while no one will advise you to lie to CIC as you never know when it will backfire on you.

Depending upon which country you belong to, its not hard to show a forged certificate for marriage however its not advisable and CIC may even catch that.

so its better to be safe than sorry however choice is yours.

Thanks,

visiting_canada

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks a lot reachmenow.

So what do u finally suggest? I am from India, and currently working in the US. I plan to work here for few more months, and then head back to India. After some time, I would like to come to Canada.

I want to complete my landing in the next few weeks if that is ok.

david_oz

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2010
AOR Received.
12-03-2010
Med's Request
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
30-06-2010
Passport Req..
20-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2010
LANDED..........
04-09-2010
this situation is ridiculous... and a good lesson to others

on my passport request letter, it says clearly:
Before you send us your passports for visa issuance, it is very important for you to advise us of any changes in the status of your family or in your marital status/common law partnership, such as the birth of a child, a marriage or a divorce. If any changes have occurred, you should report them immediately to this office. Failure to do so will render your visa(s) invalid and you will no longer be entitled to Permanent Residence in Canada.

with various parts bolded / underlined

you could try to lie your way out of it, but if you're caught you're probably f**ked. and to be fair, it doesnt sound like you've got a watertight excuse... it sounds like you are just covering up one lie with another lie and another lie

good luck, you might need it. I suggest doing the right thing. giving up the chance to come to canada is better than spending the money to come here and finding either your wife can't join you, or you are thrown out and barred from coming back

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
visiting_canada,

"OP" means "original poster" - the person who started the post - that is YOU.

PMM has already advised you what to do, and like the others I agree with him and advise you to "do the right thing." There is no other legal option.

reachmenow

May 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Family PGP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2015
Doc's Request.
07-JULY-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
24-06-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-June-2016
Med's Request
07-July-2016
Med's Done....
08-Aug-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-March-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-March-2017
LANDED..........
Sometime Before August 2017
the other thing is that , as far as CIC is concerned you have already lied or misinformed them by not informing them of marriage when you sent the passport.

so if you surrender your PR and reapply i think they may/may not reconsider however informing CIC is of course the right thing to do.

i feel sad for your situation however.

Thanks,