+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just got PR Confirmation portal email, but passport expiring soon?

danyalejandro

Aug 7, 2015
British Columbia
After 18 months of waiting, I finally got the PR Confirmation Portal invitation email. I'm in Canada.

However, my current passport expires in 10 months. Does that mean that I can only get at most 10 months of permanent residence? It would be terrible after all of this waiting to get 10 months instead of 5 years.

I brought my passport to the Vancouver consulate to get it renewed and it will take 2 weeks, so I would be able to stay inside the 30-day limit. However, the new passport's number will be different from the old one... Maybe I need to do something to update them on my passport renewal once I get it?

neil_user

Star Member
Mar 14, 2021
After 18 months of waiting, I finally got the PR Confirmation Portal invitation email. I'm in Canada.

However, my current passport expires in 10 months. Does that mean that I can only get at most 10 months of permanent residence? It would be terrible after all of this waiting to get 10 months instead of 5 years.

I brought my passport to the Vancouver consulate to get it renewed and it will take 2 weeks, so I would be able to stay inside the 30-day limit. However, the new passport's number will be different from the old one... Maybe I need to do something to update them on my passport renewal once I get it?
Your PP doesnt matter after you receive the COPR. Once you get a COPR you are officially a PR of Canada indefinitely until it is revoked or you become a Citizen.

Reactions: danyalejandro