+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just got my PR: My story [January 2012 Applicant]

WhiteNoise

Sep 9, 2012
Hi guys,

I applied under CEC and just got my PR. So I thought I would share my story with you guys just in case it provides any additional info. to other applicants. Also, I applied with my spouse as dependent (so pretty much double the amount of documentation)

Profile: Advanced degree from Canada, 1.5 yrs Canadian work ex, married, Was on PG Work permit prior to PR.

Initial Application: September 2011
Returned back : Dec 2011 (Didn't know what NOC code to put in. So this is a reminder to everyone to put in your NOC code and it is your responsibility to put this in as Immigration officials won't care less if you don't know what NOC you fit in. It is not their problem).
Submitted Second time : Jan 9, 2012
Received at Sydney: Jan 12, 2012 (I travelled quite a bit so it was big pain filling in the form that requires you to list all your travel details in the past 5 years. Do not forget to send this or your application will be returned)
AoR: March 2012
IELTS: Sent with application
PCC: Sent with application (for both spouse and myself)
Medicals Received: May 4, 2012
[At this point I had changed cities from Vancouver to Ottawa, so couldn't get medicals done immediatedly]
Medicals Done: June 11, 2012
Confirmation from Doctor's office of Medical Sent: June 22, 2012
Notice of Visa Issuance: Aug 13, 2012
Visa Stamped (Detroit Office): Aug 21, 2012 [Done in person only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It was fairly simple. Submitted docs at 8:30 in the morning. Got CoPR and passports with visa stamped at 2 pm].
Landed: Sep 2, 2012 at Rainbow Bridge, Niagara with my wife. I was able to come in to Canada without becoming a PR right away on Aug 21 as I had a valid Worker Visa.

Landing at rainbow bridge is super easy even if you don't have a US Visa. I was glad that I didnt have to deal with US immig. for flagpoling as my wife didn't have a US visa. This part is easy if you are on foot at the bridge. You just pay a 50 cent toll to get on the bridge and come in through Canada side where the Canadian border officials (who are a zillion times more polite/rational and human than any US immig. official you will ever meet) will direct you to the correct adjoining offices. The landing process took all of 45 minutes. Now the wait is on for the PR card.

Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone.

toddmeng

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
BJ
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2012
AOR Received.
01-08-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
congrats!

thanks for sharing!

cec007

Star Member
Sep 5, 2012
Great!
It will be good to know your response to following questions which I have for my app-
1. What you filled-in as "To" date for the work experience and residence which is current(where you are still employed/living)?
2.What was the immigration office for processing you entered in application (general form)?
3. What was the format of any explanation letter you added- Name at the top , then form number and then question number? Have you stapled the explanation letter with that application or kept everything unbound?
4.If work experience or any other table was insufficient- what you did--> added a new table in a separate sheet and filled everything and in the original form wrote-"see attachment no. X for details" leaving the table in form as blank?
5. Have you attached all T4 forms of last year or only those T4 forms for those jobs which are in O, A,B category?

Please reply.
WhiteNoise said:
Hi guys,

I applied under CEC and just got my PR. So I thought I would share my story with you guys just in case it provides any additional info. to other applicants. Also, I applied with my spouse as dependent (so pretty much double the amount of documentation)

Profile: Advanced degree from Canada, 1.5 yrs Canadian work ex, married, Was on PG Work permit prior to PR.

Initial Application: September 2011
Returned back : Dec 2011 (Didn't know what NOC code to put in. So this is a reminder to everyone to put in your NOC code and it is your responsibility to put this in as Immigration officials won't care less if you don't know what NOC you fit in. It is not their problem).
Submitted Second time : Jan 9, 2012
Received at Sydney: Jan 12, 2012 (I travelled quite a bit so it was big pain filling in the form that requires you to list all your travel details in the past 5 years. Do not forget to send this or your application will be returned)
AoR: March 2012
IELTS: Sent with application
PCC: Sent with application (for both spouse and myself)
Medicals Received: May 4, 2012
[At this point I had changed cities from Vancouver to Ottawa, so couldn't get medicals done immediatedly]
Medicals Done: June 11, 2012
Confirmation from Doctor's office of Medical Sent: June 22, 2012
Notice of Visa Issuance: Aug 13, 2012
Visa Stamped (Detroit Office): Aug 21, 2012 [Done in person only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It was fairly simple. Submitted docs at 8:30 in the morning. Got CoPR and passports with visa stamped at 2 pm].
Landed: Sep 2, 2012 at Rainbow Bridge, Niagara with my wife. I was able to come in to Canada without becoming a PR right away on Aug 21 as I had a valid Worker Visa.

Landing at rainbow bridge is super easy even if you don't have a US Visa. I was glad that I didnt have to deal with US immig. for flagpoling as my wife didn't have a US visa. This part is easy if you are on foot at the bridge. You just pay a 50 cent toll to get on the bridge and come in through Canada side where the Canadian border officials (who are a zillion times more polite/rational and human than any US immig. official you will ever meet) will direct you to the correct adjoining offices. The landing process took all of 45 minutes. Now the wait is on for the PR card.

Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone.

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
I am wondering does it require to have a US visa to have it done in person?

Congrats!!

ConfuseApplicant

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
cec007 said:
Great!
It will be good to know your response to following questions which I have for my app-
1. What you filled-in as "To" date for the work experience and residence which is current(where you are still employed/living)?
2.What was the immigration office for processing you entered in application (general form)?
3. What was the format of any explanation letter you added- Name at the top , then form number and then question number? Have you stapled the explanation letter with that application or kept everything unbound?
4.If work experience or any other table was insufficient- what you did--> added a new table in a separate sheet and filled everything and in the original form wrote-"see attachment no. X for details" leaving the table in form as blank?
5. Have you attached all T4 forms of last year or only those T4 forms for those jobs which are in O, A,B category?

Please reply.
Thanks WhiteNosie for sharing your info and thanks to ece007 for asking "the questions" which are confusing me as well ..

1. In the form IMM 5669, What did you put in "To" in Q.8 (background history) and Q.12 (list of addresses) of the current work/activity and address.

2. In the form IMM008 (generic application), Did you pur expiry date of the national id?? in my case it never expire.

thanks for you answers in an advance.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
1. "To" = date you fill out the form(you have to put a date in order to validate the form). When you print the form, draw a line across the date and write "present". Same thing with your current address.

2. expiry date = date you fill out the form. When you print the form, draw a line across the date and write "N/A or not applicable". You can also add a comment, "does not expire". Include a copy of the front and back of the ID with your application.

ConfuseApplicant said:
Thanks WhiteNosie for sharing your info and thanks to ece007 for asking "the questions" which are confusing me as well ..

1. In the form IMM 5669, What did you put in "To" in Q.8 (background history) and Q.12 (list of addresses) of the current work/activity and address.

2. In the form IMM008 (generic application), Did you pur expiry date of the national id?? in my case it never expire.

thanks for you answers in an advance.

ConfuseApplicant

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
1. "To" = date you fill out the form(you have to put a date in order to validate the form). When you print the form, draw a line across the date and write "present". Same thing with your current address.

2. expiry date = date you fill out the form. When you print the form, draw a line across the date and write "N/A or not applicable". You can also add a comment, "does not expire". Include a copy of the front and back of the ID with your application.
Thanks Senorita for your reply ..

cec007

Star Member
Sep 5, 2012
SenoritaBella said:

Regarding my another question-
If work experience or any other table was insufficient- what you did--> added a new table in a separate sheet and filled everything and in the original form wrote-"see attachment no. X for details" leaving the table in form as blank?

I saw the guidelines on the CIC help document which says to mention the name, form detail and question in the separate sheet. But do I need to refer that sheet in my application with some attachement number..or just saying that refer attachment for details will be fine (I have multiple attachments).... ?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
It's really no big deal - as long as they can find the information. You can leave it blank and refer them to the extra sheet or fill out what can fit and the rest on the extra sheet and refer them to it. You must label that extra sheet properly.

"refer to attachment for details" is fine. If you feel putting numbers or letters will help, it's your choice to do that. But just be sure that the numbers/letters match.

cec007 said:
Regarding my another question-
If work experience or any other table was insufficient- what you did--> added a new table in a separate sheet and filled everything and in the original form wrote-"see attachment no. X for details" leaving the table in form as blank?

I saw the guidelines on the CIC help document which says to mention the name, form detail and question in the separate sheet. But do I need to refer that sheet in my application with some attachement number..or just saying that refer attachment for details will be fine (I have multiple attachments).... ?

WhiteNoise

Sep 9, 2012
It seems Senorita has clarified most of the doubts regarding extra sheet. I had a couple of these. I filled in the first few in the form and wrote "Continued on extra sheet" on the form. On the extra sheet, I mentioned the form number and the question number I was answering and if it was for the principal applicant or the spouse. This worked well for me.

As for things that were TO "PRESENT", I put in the date till which my work permit was valid if it was related to job.
For national ID, you can follow Senorita's advice. I did not have any such document.

WhiteNoise

Sep 9, 2012
cec007 said:
Great!

Please reply.

Immigration Office: Buffalo but it got transferred to CPP-Ottawa in March.
T4: I actually attached Tax Returns and not T4s. And when I applied in January 2012 I did not have T4s for 2011 so was exempt I guess.
Format: I have explained in an earlier post.

mnjdev

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2012
Doc's Request.
Biodata form on 13th march
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
IELTS Request
sent along with application
File Transfer...
RPRF requested on 1st March
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
28-04-2013
rosty2 said:

Congrats!!
If u planning to visit Detroit visa office in person and get it stamped then yes u need a US visa.
But if u had ur passports couriered to u with the visa then for landing, US visa is not required

WhiteNoise

Sep 9, 2012
rosty2 said:

Congrats!!
Yes you need a visa if you are going to the Detroit Consulate or anywhere that is inside of US for that matter.

I mentioned you wouldn't need US Visa for Rainbow bridge was to clarify a lot of doubts that I have seen here of getting a "Reject without Prejudice" stamp on your passport from the US immigration when you try to flagpole. When you are on foot, since you can turn around just after entering the bridge you can and loop back into the Canadian side without crossing the bridge. The US officials are on the other side of the bridge not the Canadian side when you enter the bridge. This will be an issue if you take your car in though, as you cannot turn around mid-way and have to cross over to the US side in order to re-enter so you would either get a "reject" or should have US Visa.

Hope that clarifies.

WhiteNoise

Sep 9, 2012
Quick Update: Just got the PR Card for me and my wife. So it took 64 calendar days (roughly the time that was mentioned on the CIC website when we had landed) including postal delays. This is a big relief for us as we were planning to travel out of Canada in December and would had to go through the hassles of travel doc. for each of us otherwise.

I have heard personal experiences where PRs have had quite a few problems in re-entering without PR card. Not all airlines have officials who are up-to-date on the rules. It is in your own interest to make your travel plans after you get your card.

Cheers.