+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just got married to my Canadian Girlfriend what do we have to do now?

SouthZJ

Feb 5, 2010
Good day

My girlfriend and i just got married, she is Canadian and i am from Germany, i am in Canada for a view month already on a work and travel visa living with my Wife in Lennoxville ,QC

Now we want to apply for Permanent Residency for me,i looked a bit around and found a view situations where people who are not in Canada apply for Permanent Residency but what do we have to do now? we never thought about these things we got Married because we Love each other and thought it would be the right time but now where i mid have to leave Canada in a view month because my work and travel visa runs out we look for the options we can take.

we would be more than happy about any advise

Thanks a lot

juice

Jan 28, 2010
From what I understand, it's best if you apply out-of-country, and as you plan to return to Germany, that would be best for you.
In-country applications take a long, long time and you have no right of appeal should your application be refused.

Get the application forms, read them and the guides thoroughly, and start working on the application while you are still with your wife. Gather the documents, pictures, letters you exchanged, her employment information and so on.
Keep at it, it will be easier to complete while you are together.

SouthZJ

Feb 5, 2010
juice said:
From what I understand, it's best if you apply out-of-country, and as you plan to return to Germany, that would be best for you.
In-country applications take a long, long time and you have no right of appeal should your application be refused.

Get the application forms, read them and the guides thoroughly, and start working on the application while you are still with your wife. Gather the documents, pictures, letters you exchanged, her employment information and so on.
Keep at it, it will be easier to complete while you are together.
So its better if i leave Canada to apply for PR?
that would be so bad my wifen and i we are like one person we never go alone some where and me leaving her here would break her and my hard even if it would be just for a view month

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
See if you can apply for an extension of your visa or get a temporary resident visa that will allow you to remain in Canada. You can apply outland while you are in Canada. Filling the application takes some time, so it is good that you are looking into this now. Other posters with more experience regarding your work visa situation should be able to guide you on how to extend your stay. Congrats and good luck.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SouthZJ, you said
already on a work and travel visa
Are you on a work permit or a "business visitor" or just here as a visitor?

Working temporarily in Canada: Extending your stay

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp

Visiting Canada: Extending your stay - Changing your status after coming to Canada as a visitor

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

As you are married to a Canadian, your wife can sponsor you. This can be done wherever you are (as long as you are legal), apply "outland" it is faster.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

SouthZJ

Feb 5, 2010
AllisonVSC said:
See if you can apply for an extension of your visa or get a temporary resident visa that will allow you to remain in Canada. You can apply outland while you are in Canada. Filling the application takes some time, so it is good that you are looking into this now. Other posters with more experience regarding your work visa situation should be able to guide you on how to extend your stay. Congrats and good luck.
So as long as i am legal i can stay i get that but, whats the difference between "Outland and Inland" you mean if i apply for PR in Germany at the Canadian Embassy? and i can do that will i am in Canada?

Thanks for all your help

SouthZJ

Feb 5, 2010
Baloo said:
SouthZJ, you said
Are you on a work permit or a "business visitor" or just here as a visitor?

Working temporarily in Canada: Extending your stay

Visiting Canada: Extending your stay - Changing your status after coming to Canada as a visitor

As you are married to a Canadian, your wife can sponsor you. This can be done wherever you are (as long as you are legal), apply "outland" it is faster.
I am on the so called, Working Holiday (formerly known as Work & Travel)
A twelve-month 'open' work permit for young German citizens between 18 and 35 years of age.

i am not sure if i can extend that but i will try to find out

Thanks for the Links

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SouthZJ said:
A twelve-month 'open' work permit for young German citizens between 18 and 35 years of age.

Sorry, I do not know about the working holiday scheme. other people here are better qualified to answer.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
SouthZJ said:

Thanks for the Links
You can apply for a change of status of your WHV/OWP to that of a visitor, 30 days before the expiration of your current work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1249E.PDF

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SouthZJ said:

Thanks for the Links
I don't think you can extend it but there are other programs you can apply for as well such as "young worker" but I believe you need an employer to work with you for that. I know somebody who has done both of those.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:
You can apply for a change of status of your WHV/OWP to that of a visitor, 30 days before the expiration of your current work permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1249E.PDF
Would it be possible to change the status to visitor and then at a later time extend the visitor visa?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
Would it be possible to change the status to visitor and then at a later time extend the visitor visa?
Yes, if they let you change your status to visitor and stay that way, you can later apply to extend the visit visa when it's about to expire.