+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just getting started - need help finding open work permit forms

northernfinch

May 18, 2015
Hi everyone!

My husband and I are just starting our immigration adventure. I'm Canadian, he's American, and we arrived in Calgary a week ago. He has a 6 month visa. We will be putting together the PR application soon and were told that we could submit an application for an open work permit at the same time. I've been scouring the CIC website and can't seem to find the appropriate work permit forms, all I can find is for outland or temporary work permits. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks much!

Kim

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2015 (Decision Made 25-11-2015)
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
This may help you. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=178&t=17

Have you considered applying outland? A lot of people on this forum strongly advise that US applicants should apply outland instead of inland because US outland applicants get processed much quicker than the times on CIC's website. People have seen PR issued anywhere from 4 to 10 months. You can still apply outland, even if both of you are physically in Canada.

Celandrius

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th. 2014
AOR Received.
SA- August, 28th, 2014
File Transfer...
August 28th, 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
April 23rd, 2015
LANDED..........
April 28th, 2015
Unless the situation is COMPLETELY dire, I would apply Outland as an American. Average Inland applications take ~2 years, my Outland Application (I'm American), took literally 9 months.

northernfinch

May 18, 2015
cali2bc said:
Have you considered applying outland? A lot of people on this forum strongly advise that US applicants should apply outland instead of inland because US outland applicants get processed much quicker than the times on CIC's website. People have seen PR issued anywhere from 4 to 10 months. You can still apply outland, even if both of you are physically in Canada.
Celandrius said:
Unless the situation is COMPLETELY dire, I would apply Outland as an American. Average Inland applications take ~2 years, my Outland Application (I'm American), took literally 9 months.
Thanks for the replies! Could either of you expand on this a bit? How does the outland application differ, if we are already physically in Canada? Also, our main concern right now is the work permit, which we were hoping would only take 6-8 months with the inland application. I don't really see much downside to the PR application taking a long time as long as my husband is able to work. If we apply outland, I would assume that we would have to wait for him to get the PR status before he could work, yes?

Thanks for the help!

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
northernfinch said:
Thanks for the replies! Could either of you expand on this a bit? How does the outland application differ, if we are already physically in Canada? Also, our main concern right now is the work permit, which we were hoping would only take 6-8 months with the inland application. I don't really see much downside to the PR application taking a long time as long as my husband is able to work. If we apply outland, I would assume that we would have to wait for him to get the PR status before he could work, yes?

Thanks for the help!
There's a great chance that if your outland application has no major hiccups, you could receive PR within 6-8 months, which is the amount of time that you were hoping to receive an open work permit. Inland's open work permit pilot program is enticing, but if you can plan on waiting just a little bit longer, you can receive full PR and not have to mess with an inland application (which takes MUCH longer). You can still apply outland, even if he is in Canada.

northernfinch

May 18, 2015
cali2bc said:
There's a great chance that if your outland application has no major hiccups, you could receive PR within 6-8 months, which is the amount of time that you were hoping to receive an open work permit. Inland's open work permit pilot program is enticing, but if you can plan on waiting just a little bit longer, you can receive full PR and not have to mess with an inland application (which takes MUCH longer). You can still apply outland, even if he is in Canada.
Ok, that definitely makes sense. So how does this actually work? Do I just follow the instructions in the CIC Guide 3900 (I can't seem to post a link) even though it says spouse living outside of Canada? And just use our address in Canada where appropriate?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'd rather do this right the first time rather than have to backtrack.

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
northernfinch said:
Ok, that definitely makes sense. So how does this actually work? Do I just follow the instructions in the CIC Guide 3900 (I can't seem to post a link) even though it says spouse living outside of Canada? And just use our address in Canada where appropriate?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'd rather do this right the first time rather than have to backtrack.
I believe that you are correct about the address. You will need to use the forms for the outland application, not inland, if that is what you are choosing.

northernfinch

May 18, 2015
cali2bc said:
I believe that you are correct about the address. You will need to use the forms for the outland application, not inland, if that is what you are choosing.
Gotcha. Can I ask which visa office you used (if you did the outland)? The average processing time for the LA office is 32 months (!!!) and there isn't a time listed for NYC.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
northernfinch said:
Gotcha. Can I ask which visa office you used (if you did the outland)? The average processing time for the LA office is 32 months (!!!) and there isn't a time listed for NYC.
Most American applications are actually processed in Ottawa, which takes ~ 8-10 months. Only those that have `Red Flags' are sent to LA or NY (but if an interview is required it would be in LA).

You can't specify which visa office anymore. CIC determines where the application is processed.

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
US outland applications are not processed in NY or LA. They are initially processed at CPC-Mississauga for sponsorship approval, and then transferred to CPC-Ottawa to assess the rest of the application. Another thing, is that the times listed on CIC's website are not accurate at all for routine applications. You can find different spreadsheets on this forum (Outland 2015 and Ottawa 2015) and view people's timelines. You'll find that most applicants from the US are processed from start to finish between 8-10 months, and some are lucky with only 4-7 months.

Celandrius

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th. 2014
AOR Received.
SA- August, 28th, 2014
File Transfer...
August 28th, 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
April 23rd, 2015
LANDED..........
April 28th, 2015
Ottawa had a bit of a snails pace issue earlier this year, seems they've picked up though. Outland is definitely the way to go if you don't need the PA to be working immediately. Then you can go to the nearest border crossing and Flagpole. You get your SIN normally after you land and go to Service Canada. (I had to wait a week and a half for some reason >_<)
After that happens then the PA can work.
Ottawa (outland application) right now is taking around 8-10 months for full processing (normally get SA from Mississauga a month or so later). Then it's just waiting mostly after that. You can use your Canadian address as the one to send everything to. I did and I stayed in Canada the entire process. It makes you go a little stir crazy, but unless you want the PA working, which then they can just stay in the US, they can stay in Canada. For Americans though, unless your country of birth is somewhere else you'll most likely be processed in Ottawa. It's rare that Mississauga keeps applications. If they do though, they're known to be done in a couple months. It's rare though, I wouldn't hope too much for it! :p

northernfinch

May 18, 2015
You guys are so helpful! It definitely seems like outland is the way to go. My husband is currently here on a 6 month visitor visa, would it probably be a good idea to apply for an extension to that while we're waiting for the PR to be approved? We were told that once he had applied for PR (inland) that he would be covered to stay legally even after it expires, but I'd hate to gamble.

Celandrius

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th. 2014
AOR Received.
SA- August, 28th, 2014
File Transfer...
August 28th, 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
April 23rd, 2015
LANDED..........
April 28th, 2015
Apply for the extension online. You can do it the day before it expires or whatever if you want, and he'll have implied status until you guys hear from them.

Prelude

Star Member
Feb 28, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 17, 2015
AOR Received.
November 6, 2015
Med's Request
Done Upfront
Med's Done....
July 11, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: March 22, 2016 / Rec'd COPR: Mar 24, 2016
LANDED..........
March 25, 2016!
northernfinch said:
My husband and I are just starting our immigration adventure. I'm Canadian, he's American, and we arrived in Calgary a week ago.
Wait, hold up!! I'm in Calgary, too, and my spouse is also American! Any chance you want to commiserate on this whole process? We've been collecting documents etc. for awhile now, but are only just getting to the actual application right now, so we're sort of in the same spot as you. (She's been in Canada since March.)