+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just found out we can't extend my common-law partner's work permit. HELP!

patate

Mar 12, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2011
AOR Received.
18-10-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-11-2011
Yes, she would be allowed to do the internship; there's 4 categories under the international experience program: working holiday, young professional, internship and summer job... And you can do all of them. For the last two though, like as I said in my previous post you have to be a student, which I am guessing she is not. If by any chance she is though she can definitely apply. Applications are closed for 2011 but 2012 is coming (fast!), so if she did qualify she could get a permit as soon as January 2012!

As for the unpaid internship I don't think you are allowed to do that on a visitor visa... :(

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
gatherroses said:
Do any of you have experience getting LMOs? She works at a recording studio. They previously failed to get an LMO for an America, but she's currently working with a database that only four people alive know how to use.... however, they could probably train a Canadian in two months. Does this sound like something that could work for a LMO?
I wasn't able to get a favouable LMO. I was on a Working Holiday Visa and my employer (the Provincial Government) was unsuccessful in getting an LMO to keep me employed after the expiration of my Working Holiday Visa. My employer was awesome - they even appealed the LMO decision, but were still unsuccessful!

I then left Canada and applied for family sponsorship.

Good luck finding a way through this - I hope it all works out for you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As a visitor - she unfortunately cannot do an unpaid internship. She would need to apply to the International Experience Program and be approved.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
Wow, thank-you so much, everyone!!!
We're going to look into registering her as a student, and then getting the internship visa. Maybe her work would even hire her as an intern in January, but pay her the same amount...

So, you're allowed to do all the international experience categories more than once?

Also, you recommend Paris over Buffalo? Maybe that makes more sense... it's only an 8 month wait. Would she need to go to France to pick it up? And, would I need to go to France?

Thanks again, everyone. It is amazing to have all of you here!!!!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Aside from the fact that Paris has a shorter timeline, there is also the fact that her background checks etc may be performed faster being initiated from Paris, rather than from Buffalo. I'm not saying that's how it is, I'm just suggesting that is how it may be.

She would need to go to Paris if there is an interview (usually waived in the case of a straightforward application), and to send her passport there for the visa to be inserted when she is approved. She would not necessarily have to drop it off personally, as long as it is legal to do so she could sent it by courier and arrange to get it back the same way, then "land" from within Canada by going to the nearest border crossing, or making an appointment at a local CIC office.

You would not need to go to France.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
=( I just found this on the website.
"Please note that you can participate twice in the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative. However, the stays must fall under two different categories."
Does this mean that she can only do two of the four categories? Sorry if that seems obvious. The extension thing also seemed obvious...

patate

Mar 12, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2011
AOR Received.
18-10-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-11-2011
Oh, I didn't know you were only allowed two categories... But yes, that's what it means :(

Yes, I'm going through Paris... Sent my application to Mississauga in July. Also on a young professional permit right now, and also in a common-law relationship... So I guess our situation is very similar!!

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
We should stay in touch!!! =) I think we'll have ours sent off by early next week at the latest. I think we might do Paris.

Ah man... this is difficult. For a second, I thought I had a solution with the internship visa! I am going to keep looking, though!

patate

Mar 12, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2011
AOR Received.
18-10-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-11-2011
Yeah we should keep in touch for sure... Not many people applying through Paris on this forum! :D

Give the LMO a try... You have nothing to lose!

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
That's what we decided. :) If LMO doesn't work, we'll be in a rough position. I just started my second degree, and I will have a hard time going to Asia or something for awhile while we wait (plus, can we even do that??).

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you could, I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd go with Beijing (4 months according to the website) ;D
CharlieD10 said:
You cannot "embassy shop" on the basis of how quickly they process an application.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
I wish we could embassy shop! Plus, that's an amazing excuse to take an expensive vacation.
Oh well. I am resigning myself to the fact that she might end up unemployed in Canada for 4-11 months, and figuring out how she can occupy herself (legally and with value) while she waits. And, to maybe working more to support her. I don't want her to get sent back to France!!!!

Do you guys have lawyers? I am wondering if we should retain one, and if we can get him to help her employer write the LMO.... someone mentioned that in another form.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where are you going to be living? If she goes to Quebec, she can study and pay the in-province rate (already the lowest in the country) as Le Quebec and La France have a bilateral agreement wherein French students are exempt from paying the international fee (I'm soooo jealous). She will have to apply for a CSQ if she takes up residency in Quebec as part of her Permanent Residency application.
gatherroses said:
I wish we could embassy shop! Plus, that's an amazing excuse to take an expensive vacation.
Oh well. I am resigning myself to the fact that she might end up unemployed in Canada for 4-11 months, and figuring out how she can occupy herself (legally and with value) while she waits. And, to maybe working more to support her. I don't want her to get sent back to France!!!!

Do you guys have lawyers? I am wondering if we should retain one, and if we can get him to help her employer write the LMO.... someone mentioned that in another form.

gatherroses

Sep 14, 2011
Hmmm, that's worth looking into! We're in Toronto right now, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving to Quebec. I know she prefers it here, but we've got a tough situation. Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to go live there. She's not a student anymore, but maybe she could enrol in a university in France anyways... since it's free.
Man, this sucks.
Thanks again everyone for your support. It has been a rough 12 hours.