+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just became a PR today after signing the CoPR. What happens to my SIN starting with 9, and taxrefund

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
Hi guys,

So I just visited the IRCC and signed my CoPR to become a PR. Now since I'm a PR, I need to go to Service Canada next week to get a new SIN. Is my SIN that starts with 9 still valid? Or currently, I don't have a SIN until I go to Service Canada and get one?

My biggest concern is, it's a tax season. I haven't gotten my T4's yet from my employers (past and current), but if they give it to me in the coming week, it will have my SIN that starts with 9. Do I have to ask them for a new one after I get my new SIN at Service Canada?

I probably should wait to file my tax until I get a new permanent SIN right?

Very confused here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

So I just visited the IRCC and signed my CoPR to become a PR. Now since I'm a PR, I need to go to Service Canada next week to get a new SIN. Is my SIN that starts with 9 still valid? Or currently, I don't have a SIN until I go to Service Canada and get one?

My biggest concern is, it's a tax season. I haven't gotten my T4's yet from my employers (past and current), but if they give it to me in the coming week, it will have my SIN that starts with 9. Do I have to ask them for a new one after I get my new SIN at Service Canada?

I probably should wait to file my tax until I get a new permanent SIN right?

Very confused here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi

Go get your permanent SIN. It will be attached to your old one.

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
Hi

Go get your permanent SIN. It will be attached to your old one.
Oh so that means I can keep all the tax documents I receive that has my current SIN that starts with 9?

What about when I actually file tax in a few weeks from today? Do I input my new permanent SIN? I wonder if my tax program (SimpleTax) will let me change that..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oh so that means I can keep all the tax documents I receive that has my current SIN that starts with 9?

What about when I actually file tax in a few weeks from today? Do I input my new permanent SIN? I wonder if my tax program (SimpleTax) will let me change that..
Yes.

Yes.

Reactions: sw6lee

gotodxb

Mar 16, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
Passport Req..
29-09-2017
LANDED..........
25-10-2017

also immediately notify your employer with new SIN number..