+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just about there...

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My day of landing will be at YVR (Vancouver Airport) on Dec 18th.

Everything is about ready to go:

Passport with the Visa inside
COPR - to be signed in front of an officer at Vancouver
2 copies of lists of goods (with me at the time of landing and goods to fllow)
Casheirs check and some CAD coin and currency (to be derclared when I get there)
Marriage certificate - just in case

Anything else anyone can think of?

My two questions now are:
1. Has anyone landed at Vancouver Airport previously here in this forum? I am wondering if I am able to pick up my baggage before or after becoming a PR (that is, before or after I meet with the officers)
2. I hope the people on the US side don't freak out with my one way ticket to land at YVR. I hear that one way tickets for any airline in North America is met with extreme scrutiny. Will my Visa insde my US passport aleviate this?

Thanks all. I will try to give my experience of Landing afterwards.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your visa should have you on board that plane with a one-way ticket with no problems.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
As for the one way ticket, I've done that! I took a bus from Toronto to Buffalo on the way back, but when I flew Air Canada, I of course only bought one and no one ever said anything... no one even looked at it, really. I wouldn't worry about that!

I'm sorry I'm unable to help with the landing process... and my sister would say, I'm still a "peep" in this process! I haven't done any of that research yet, but it SOUNDS good!

Congrats again, Eric!!! How wonderful it must be for you to spend Christmas together! Well, have a great 2010 and rest of your lives together. =]

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you sound like all set. :)

1. as far as I know you can pick up your baggage only after you are done with customs and immigration procedure.
2. will you be using a transit flight? any way it will never be a problem for you to get a one-way ticket as they can easily see you having an immigrant visa in your passport - the final destination is that what matters.
one-way ticket will never be a problem as you are landing as a Permanent Resident. they actually prefer to see your one way ticket to know that you plan to settle permanently in Canada. so they might like it more than seeing two-way ticket. ;)
as for the US visa - I had and still have a multiple entry visa in my passport and it was not a problem for me at all during my landing.

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
Sorry Suin, I hafta disagree with you again: You always pick up your bags before clearing customs, anywhere in the world.

At Pearson (Toronto) it's a two phase process:

You pass through immigration immediately after deplaning, there they check your passport and ask you where you're going, purpose of your visit, etc. I imagine this is where they would do the landing interview, because they do have interrogation - I MEAN "interview" - rooms available there. If I recall correctly these guys are the ones who also look at your customs declaration form and write a code on it (which you have to fill out before you land) depending on whether they think you need to get a thorough customs inspection or not, based on a combination of your declaration card and your country of origin, reason for visiting Canada, etc.

Then you pick up your bags so that you and your bags can clear through customs. In Pearson it's just a person standing by the exit and you give them your marked-up card. If you had nothing to declare beyond the allowable limit, the card is usually marked so that they just wave you through. Otherwise (I always bring home cheese from France so I know this routine all too welll) they send you over to another area to show your stuff and they inspect your bags, charge you the applicable duty, confiscate your tasty foi gras because of the bird flu, etc. I'm guessing that'll be where the "goods to follow" list will be presented and checked over or registered in the system, etc. I find this usually takes a minimum of 15 extra minutes, only because there are about 10 guys in there and I am the only passenger, so they are bored and they get excited about having a customer, and they all come over to watch and comment and give their two cents about which kinds of paté is allowed, etc.

I go through all the time and I'm always a trouble-maker, with my non-resident status in Canada but have a Canadian permanent address, and bringing wine and cheese, etc. And they are normally SOOOO nice! The customs guys usually joke around and I leave with a smile on my face.

The only problem occurred one time when I thought that dried meat in a factory sealed package wasn't necessary to declare (I figured they only wanted to know about fresh steaks wrapped in newspaper or something), the Agriculture sniffer dog found my goodies as I was collecting my bags but I wasn't worried, I thought it was totally not a declarable food, then when they pulled me aside to inspect my stuff I found out different and since I hadn't declared it on my card, they normally should fine me. To make matters worse, there was a christmas gift in my bag wrapped elaborately with an ornate decorative bow thingy, which included a pinecone... now even if it's painted gold and sparkly, a pinecone is a plant seed and thus not allowed to be brought into Canada. It really never occurred to me! They tore it off the present and threatened to fine me $200 more. They didn't fine me anything in the end, but the lesson is, "if in doubt: declare it!" Then you can just ask them, they are totally nice about it, and you won't get in trouble.

So make sure you really know what kinds of things are allowed and that you are familiar with what's in your luggage, because if you are going to have to talk to customs anyways about your goods, they might take a look in your bags.

Don't carry more than $10k (even a cashier's cheque if you can help it!), I know you have to declare it but no idea how it's taxed or anything. I think you would be better off wiring the money or mail a personal cheque to your spouse to cash before, or something... we are also worried about how to transfer my husband's funds, we are thinking he'll just keep his savings in the EU and pay for everything with his Visa card until it's all spent. I checked the Canada Revenue Agency site and found that "gifts" of money are non-taxable and the amount is unlimited, although I always thought you had to declare gifts and inheritances as income on your annual tax forms. If you find out more about this, please let me know :)

Sorry but I have no idea about how they will treat you at your point of origin in the US, but if the airline sells one-way tickets, why shouldn't you have the right to use one? Seems weird. Of course it's usually easier to leave a country than to enter one, but since 9/11 the benchmark of "normal" has flown out the window - I've avoided the US since, and am thus no longer familiar. As far as I know, Canada holds the airline responsible for ensuring their passengers have the visa to get into their destination, otherwise the government can force the airline to pay to deport you back out, but as you have the visa I think it should all make sense to them. In some bigger airports outside the US they have a US immigration area to PRE-CLEAR the passengers flying to the US so that if they are found to be inadmissable, they are not already on US soil - but I've never known Canada to do that.

Well that's exciting and happy news to be landing before Christmas! You picked a VERY busy day to travel, that could work in your favour though as they might be too busy to bother you much. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Congratulations and enjoy Vancouver!
TLH

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
Hi EricParker,
I'm landing 3 days after you!!! Only I'm landing in TO not Vancouver.
I have the same list of things with as you do, the only expections are as follows:
I filled out a B4 and B4A form. I called Canada Border Services and asked about that.
Just to be safe, we're also taking with a number of other documents like:
birth certificates of all of us (me, my husband & 2 kids)
university degrees
a copy of the completed PR application (I read somewhere that they may ask you the same questions as were asked on the PR form.)

We won't be taking much CDN currency. We wire money to Canada all the time so we've been slowly emptying our bank acccount here and filling it up over there. By the way, The Littlest Hobo, why don't you & your husband do the same?

I would like to take cheese & stuff with me as well, but for this trip I won't be pushing any limits. Next trip out and I'll fill a suitcase , haha.

Good luck with your landing!

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good luck Eric and ange... I too am landing YVR 23rd December so I await a swift update from Eric after the 18th.... ;D