+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

JUNE 30 - Vancouver answer disccusion thread [listening]

jeevinsanju

Star Member
Jul 2, 2018
Reading was easy so they somehow wanted students to re appear. Because of listening score now majority of us will take exam again.
I wrote both IELTS and TOEFL back in 2007 and this exam has definitely evolved since then. I scored a overall band of 7 back then with little that I knew and it's not the case anymore now. They know more and more students / immigrants taking exam are well versed with language and have made format tricky. Best example was very first answer in listening in Australian accent.. 'Quigley' which definitely sounded 'quickly' and spelled 'Q' like a 'kui' so you get carried away.

Lizer

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
In section 1 what was the answer of the question that says
it is unfair for large families and ............ groups, anyone remember?

Last edited:

96elephantava

Jul 4, 2018
My first attempt, hopefully won't need a 2nd one.

Listening *****(normally would score at least 8, this one hopefully a 7, horrible speed and accent )

Section 1 (in wrong order): error, school, 12, food, two-way(probably wrong), 11.45, Quigley

Section 2 (cannot remember the map clearly, such a mess): high altitude, number of frost, cannot get to water, unreliable

map i only know there is one near the pond, one on the west fence (to prevent west wind), one on the south fence in between with the house?, one in garage

Section 3 (nightmare): same language level (not sure, but definitely not same teacher), too much workload (could be wrong), phrase (not sure either sad), qualitative method/interview, accessing the usefulness of new words

intro: shorten (there was Spanish sth that the woman suggested to put in this section., so i don't think this one is remove; discussion: more critically, 3rd: add more sources, the last one: in more small sections )

Section 4 (easiest part): ash, shower, mirrors, park, fountain, flower, display, carbon

Reading **(cannot remember clearly, but much easier than listening):

Section 1: T(can drive to all sites) NG(close to town )NG F(depend on the geographic location) F($150 to all locations) F(all can be reserved)

Section 2: from self-service machine, 80 cents, print international periodicals, (a staff can help you only if there is sth. )wrong with machine, limited duration, can get a refund (when machine is broken)

Section 3: South America, underground, surface, tannin, digestive systems, omnivores, cocoa

Medium worker dig the small chamber (not sure), medium worker enlarges the chamber, small worker cleans the chamber, large workers carry the leaves, soldiers are 100 times bigger than small worker, queen live over 2 decades

Writing ***(not hard but a little confusing, especially for first attempter like me):
Part 1:
you and your friend went to theatre last week and your friend had a little accident there, a staff helped you. Write a letter to the manager and mention the following:
- what was the accident
- how the staff helped your friend
- suggestions to improve the situation
begin with Dear Sir Or Madam,
(in the beginning i thought it should be a thank you letter, but i ended up wrote the introduction paragraph in form of advice letter)

Part 2:
Some people think it should be individuals' responsibility to take care of the environment, while others think government should take care. Discuss both views and talk about your own opinion.
(since it was my first attempt, had some struggle with time management, ielts writing is hard :( )

Speaking **** (hard, but not as hard as listening):
Part 1:
Where do you live? How far is your home from here? Do you have a lot of things to do around where you live?
Do you like doing sports? What types of sports do you like to do when you were at school? Do you think the people in your country get enough sports?

Part 2:
Talk about a historical period in your country.
(i was literally shocked, i cannot even answer the question in my mother tongue since i hate history. I spoke about 1 min? I guess? And the examiner did not give me some hints. He just asked me if there was anything else I would like to say, and after a while of embarrassment, part 2 just went by. But i think i did fine in part 1 and 3, hopefully can save me)

Part 3:
Do you think history is important?
Do you think it's necessary for children to learn history?
Do you think museum can help children learn history?
How can technology help children learn history?
Why is history important?
... (the list goes on but I cannot remember, i waited from 1pm to 7pm for speaking test and the test was way harder than i thought)

Last edited:

jaeseung

Star Member
Dec 20, 2016

Listening *****(normally would score at least 8, this one hopefully a 7, horrible speed and accent )

Section 1 (in wrong order): error, food, two-way(probably wrong), 11.45, Quigley

Section 2 (cannot remember the map clearly, such a mess): high altitude, number of frost, cannot get to water, unreliable

map i only know there is one near the pond, one on the west fence (to prevent west wind), one on the south fence in between with the house?, one in garage

Section 3 (nightmare): same language level (not sure, but definitely not same teacher), too much workload (could be wrong), phrase (not sure either sad), qualitative method/interview, accessing the usefulness of new words

intro: shorten (there was Spanish sth that the woman suggested to put in this section., so i don't think this one is remove; discussion: more critically, 3rd: add more sources, the last one: in more small sections )

Section 4 (easiest part): ash, shower, mirrors, park, fountain, flower, display, carbon

Section 1: T(can drive to all sites) NG(close to town )NG F(depend on the geographic location) F($150 to all locations) F(all can be reserved)

Section 2: from self-service machine, 80 cents, print international periodicals, (a staff can help you only if there is sth. )wrong with machine, limited duration, can get a refund (when machine is broken)

Section 3: South America, underground, surface, tannin, digestive systems, omnivores, cocoa

Medium worker dig the small chamber (not sure), medium worker enlarges the chamber, small worker cleans the chamber, large workers carry the leaves, soldiers are 100 times bigger than small worker, queen live over 2 decades

Writing ***(not hard but a little confusing, especially for first attempter like me):
Part 1:
you and your friend went to theatre last week and your friend had a little accident there, a staff helped you. Write a letter to the manager and mention the following:
- what was the accident
(in the beginning i thought it should be a thank you letter, but i ended up wrote the introduction paragraph in form of advice letter)

Part 2:
Some people think it should be individuals' responsibility to take care of the environment, while others think government should take care. Discuss both views and talk about your own opinion.
(since it was my first attempt, had some struggle with time management, ielts writing is hard :( )

Part 1:
Where do you live? How far is your home from here? Do you have a lot of things to do around where you live?
Do you like doing sports? What types of sports do you like to do when you were at school? Do you think the people in your country get enough sports?

Part 2:
(i was literally shocked, i cannot even answer the question in my mother tongue since i hate history. I spoke about 1 min? I guess? And the examiner did not give me some hints. He just asked me if there was anything else I would like to say, and after a while of embarrassment, part 2 just went by. But i think i did fine in part 1 and 3, hopefully can save me)

Part 3:
... (the list goes on but I cannot remember, i waited from 1pm to 7pm for speaking test and the test was way harder than i thought)[/QUOTED]

Do you remember what were the other options for the last question of section3 on listening? I can't quite remember what were the other chocies. that'd make a big diffrence in my score lol between 7.5 and 8.0

96elephantava

Jul 4, 2018

Section 1 (in wrong order): error, food, two-way(probably wrong), 11.45, Quigley

Part 1:
- what was the accident

Part 2:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:
... (the list goes on but I cannot remember, i waited from 1pm to 7pm for speaking test and the test was way harder than i thought)

Do you mean this?

jaeseung

Star Member
Dec 20, 2016

Do you mean this?
Section 3 (nightmare) - accessing the usefulness of new words (Last one)

this one! :)

96elephantava

Jul 4, 2018
I think there was a choice called "finding new words" - not sure if that's the one ... GOD BLESS US indeed ! haha
I think my listening grade can vary from 6.5 to 8. Any grade falls in this range, i wouldn't be too surprised... Wonder if they can curve up since everyone seems to find it so incredibly hard..

jaeseung

Star Member
Dec 20, 2016
Does anyone know what happens if you get 6 wrong answers? - can't believe listening was the hardest part

jaeseung

Star Member
Dec 20, 2016

Section 1 (in wrong order): error, school, 12, food, two-way(probably wrong), 11.45, Quigley

Part 1:
- what was the accident

Part 2:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:
Thanks for sharing this with us by the way!

Eli31

Mar 26, 2018
NOC Code......

Part 1:
- what was the accident

Part 2:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:
wow diffcilutls speaking you got, that was my 4th attemptp and listening fucked too