dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Just checked my IELTS result
L 7.5
R 7
W 6.5
S 7.5
I am planning to ask for re-evaluation of my L and W. I will like to know the procedure involved in doing this?

Listening and Reading are never upgraded. L and R are marked by two examiners using a key, marking in L and R is always against the key provided to them. You should give the IELTS again and start practising. I gave IELTS thrice because of Listening, had got a 7.5 in the first two attempts.

Reactions: Dr Edmund

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
This huge difference makes me feel much angry. Do you know the success rate of this kind of situation? Somewhere I’ve read that if there is a 2-band difference between any skills, your writing paper would be automatically subject to re-evaluation regardless of your eor request. Have you ever heard about something like that?
In such cases, it is either of the two:
1. You wrote a very bad essay, that is why you were awarded such a low score.
Or 2. The examiners messed up.

You will need to be confident for the first case before you opt for an EOR.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Not true. 2 of my friends got an upgrade in Speaking...
The first, from 7.5 to 9.
The second, from 6.5 to 7.5.

The second was actually very upset because he had always gotten a 7.5 in Speaking and ensured the EOR was sent to IDP Australia...
7.5 to 9 is pretty steep! The examiner must have messed up pretty bad. Speaking skills between 7.5 and a 9 differ by huge.

Chicjennie

Feb 28, 2019
This was my 3rd attempt, I consistently scored well in other skills except writing. But as you noted, I've also seen many cases that the writing score didn't change after all. I do not really know why they are so obsessed with writing part. Not everyone needs to be an excellent writer to be a proficient user of language even though I'm pretty much confident that I'm a very good writer, especially when it comes to essay writing. I strongly believe that this is a huge scam, and I do not have any further intend to allow them making profit over my hard-earned dollars!
My friend was stuck with writing (6.5) until his 7th attempt. He had to pay a tutor.
Maybe you shld use an online tutor to help. The tutors easily highlight your key problematic areas.

This site could be helpful:
www.ieltsonlinetests.com

Last edited:

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
This was my 3rd attempt, I consistently scored well in other skills except writing. But as you noted, I've also seen many cases that the writing score didn't change after all. I do not really know why they are so obsessed with writing part. Not everyone needs to be an excellent writer to be a proficient user of language even though I'm pretty much confident that I'm a very good writer, especially when it comes to essay writing. I strongly believe that this is a huge scam, and I do not have any further intend to allow them making profit over my hard-earned dollars!
I can vouch for IELTS not being a scam. That is just you trying to put blame on someone else for your failure. In my first attempt, I had got a 6.5 in W, second attempt, 6 and third attempt 7. In all attempts, I had a different approach towards tackling the W and thus got variable marks. If your scores aren't changing, you need to get your writing assessed. You can write and post essays here on this forums, a lot of members would be more than happy to assess them and give you detailed reviews on them.

Reactions: Chicjennie

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
There are 4 parts of the assessment of a writing task:-
1. Task Achievement
2. Coherence and Cohesion
3. Lexical Resources
5. Grammatical Range and Accuracy

Instead of assessing your essay as a whole, try to assess it on the basis of these 4 parameters individually, find your faults and practice them.

Dr Edmund

Jun 3, 2019
Listening and Reading are never upgraded. L and R are marked by two examiners using a key, marking in L and R is always against the key provided to them. You should give the IELTS again and start practising. I gave IELTS thrice because of Listening, had got a 7.5 in the first two attempts.
Thank you so much. This is my 3rd time writing this exam. I had great hopes I was going to make it this time. So devastated now.Thou,I write with pencil instead of Biro don't know if this has been affecting my writing score?

megran2017

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, Need to know one thing... If we go for EOR, specifically for writing, whether examiner is aware of our current band.... Or he will evaluate and give his score and then out of the two bands whichever is higher they select the same.....

Can anyone comment on this?

Chicjennie

Feb 28, 2019
Thank you so much. This is my 3rd time writing this exam. I had great hopes I was going to make it this time. So devastated now.Thou,I write with pencil instead of Biro don't know if this has been affecting my writing score?
Pencils are advised. It doesn't reduce a candidate's score. Infact, IDP allows only pencils in their exams.

Chicjennie

Feb 28, 2019
I disagree with this statement. My friend had an upgrade in Listening from 8.0 to 8.5 in April 27th exam.
However, an upgrade in Listening & Reading is rare.

Last edited:

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
It doesn't matter whether you write with a pen, pencil or a quill

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Guys, Need to know one thing... If we go for EOR, specifically for writing, whether examiner is aware of our current band.... Or he will evaluate and give his score and then out of the two bands whichever is higher they select the same.....

Can anyone comment on this?
Don't know whether the new examiner knows about your score. In case of band change, the candidate is given the highest score of the two.

Kiva2014

Star Member
Mar 23, 2019
I can vouch for IELTS not being a scam. That is just you trying to put blame on someone else for your failure. In my first attempt, I had got a 6.5 in W, second attempt, 6 and third attempt 7. In all attempts, I had a different approach towards tackling the W and thus got variable marks. If your scores aren't changing, you need to get your writing assessed. You can write and post essays here on this forums, a lot of members would be more than happy to assess them and give you detailed reviews on them.
I'm not such a person who tries to blame others for my own mistakes. Actually, this is what you do without knowing my English skills and background. I know what a 6.5-essay or 7-essay looks like, so your third attempt 7 doesn't change the truth that IELTS is a huge market to make use of people's money.