25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
@iSaidGoodDay

So I was looking at cost of living in Toronto and it’s um quite a bit. That got me thinking of other cities like Montreal, but my question is can I move to Montreal, Quebec?

Are there any rules against someone living in Quebec? I can speak French at a Basic level. Learnt it for a couple years in school and brushed it up the last couple years as well.

So yeah, which city do you recommend a new immigrant should move to and is Montreal a good destination?
I have heard IT Jobs there are a bit rarer compared to Toronto or Vancouver. The pay levels are 20% lower but if rent is 40% cheaper it is still a win-win. The biggest issue in Quebec right now is the extra tuition fee the province government wants to charge English colleges. If you plan to study unless you do it in Francais you will spend more.

Reactions: H7R7R7

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
@iSaidGoodDay

So I was looking at cost of living in Toronto and it’s um quite a bit. That got me thinking of other cities like Montreal, but my question is can I move to Montreal, Quebec?

Are there any rules against someone living in Quebec? I can speak French at a Basic level. Learnt it for a couple years in school and brushed it up the last couple years as well.

So yeah, which city do you recommend a new immigrant should move to and is Montreal a good destination?
You can move to Montreal as your charter rights allow you to do so after becoming a PR. You only become a PR after getting your CoPR signed. If the officer feels that you have no intentions of settling in Quebec.

About Toronto, it is expensive, but it is also dependent upon what type of job you'll be able to pick and how much it pays. For example, a recent immigrant who got a job at McKinsey rents a nice loft and is happily paying $3k/mo in Mississauga as they are a dual income family with a net pay of $200k+.

If I'm in your situation, I'll start by:
1. how much I can get paid? talk to people in your target job, better if they are recent immigrants.
2. how much I would like to pay?
3. do you have dual incomes that could tackle some of the COL issues?
4. are there enough jobs in your target city(e.g. Montreal)?

I only hear bad things about Quebec, but that's just what I heard with no personal experience.

I personally had no issue with COL in GTA/GVA, but I chose Calgary because I like smaller cities, I am 100% remote from 8 years, already had a Canadian job, I wanted to buy a house shortly after landing, etc. These reasons are very unique for me.

Start by answering those questions to yourself and see where you land in terms of affordability and sustainability. The latter is what most regret after moving to places like Calgary. Do make sure wherever you move is sustainable and something that you'll love in the longer term.

Happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Masked Maverick

Star Member
Jun 17, 2023
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 08, 2023
AOR Received.
July 08, 2023
Med's Done....
June 08,2023
Yes, that's how stupid TCS really is. It only hurts an everyday commoner. Do talk to your banker about how you'll get your NRE/NRO accounts before leaving too.

Also, get your insurance claims history if you can. You can get ridiculously low insurance rates in Canada if your insurance provider takes your home country's insurance history.
You meant no claims on vehicles in our own name right? I changed my insurance company last year, so it has not been more than an year for me with the same vehicle insurance. Is there any point in getting that letter in this scenario?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
You meant no claims on vehicles in our own name right? I changed my insurance company last year, so it has not been more than an year for me with the same vehicle insurance. Is there any point in getting that letter in this scenario?
So, all you will have to talk to all current and previous insurance providers and get your car insurance claims history from each of them. That way you'll be able to lower some of your insurance rates. In my case, I was quoted $700/mo initially, then I showed the following:
1. driving certification from the driving school I used
2. Indian driving history
3. Claims history from each insurer

It went down from $700/mo to $280/mo - which isn't too bad. I also had one quote from a provider that gave me $180/mo, but that wasn't with the best coverage (e.g. had no roadside assistance).

Reactions: Masked Maverick

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
So, all you will have to talk to all current and previous insurance providers and get your car insurance claims history from each of them. That way you'll be able to lower some of your insurance rates. In my case, I was quoted $700/mo initially, then I showed the following:
1. driving certification from the driving school I used
2. Indian driving history
3. Claims history from each insurer

It went down from $700/mo to $280/mo - which isn't too bad. I also had one quote from a provider that gave me $180/mo, but that wasn't with the best coverage (e.g. had no roadside assistance).
280 CAD per month is still too high, do you own a Sport car or some pumped up luxury car is it? I pay about 130 from last summer, I was paying 180 the first year. I have heard most long term residents pay much less than even 80

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
My car could definitely be one of the reason!
Ya I guessed, I had the same struggle the first week of landing, shopping for large or luxury cars which are more affordable in North America compared to Australia. Then after seeing Insurance quotes 500 or 600 I scaled down and went for a midsize Japanese manufactured SUV :cool:. I will try for the bigger and more pumped-up car again next year after buying the house.

Last edited:

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
AOR - 20th July, IRCC helpline says that Eligibility done, BG done, but security check has not started. Already crossed the 5 month timeline now.
Security is part of BG.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Hi Lord_Tony, when I called IRCC helpline, they said background and criminality are done, however, security has not started yet.
Please read the past threads on this topic. e.g. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/the-anatomy-of-a-background-check-in-depth-analysis.500146/ is a very good one. You will learn Background = Info sharing + Criminality + Security.
my educated guess is, in your call the IRCC call agent might have misspoke or you might have misheard it Info sharing as BG. If your Tracker shows BG as in progress still as you say security which is part of BGC is not complete.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay
Oct 7, 2023
Hi I’m June AOR
PNP Inland
AOR: June 15
New biometrics: July 6
Medical passed: July then it went blank and on October 15th got updated again with new expiry date for I and my husband Oct 2024
Eligibility completed as per tracker on October 15th.
Background check: still in progress called IRCC few weeks ago was told criminality passed, info sharing completed, security not started.
The wait is tiring..
Have u got portal mail