+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

<<<<<<<<<< July AOR 2023 Thread >>>>>>>>>>

Tollyyyy

Dec 1, 2023
Hello. July AOR here. Got the PPR via GCKEYS (Request Letter) but the letter does not have the form for eye colour and height. Is this normal? Do I download the for elsewhere or just send my passport like that.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Tollyyyy

Dec 1, 2023
Also, moved to Europe after AOR and updated IRCC via webform after receiving PPR (change of contact/mailing address) Do I wait for them to respond/acknowledge before sending passport or do I just send like that.

And finally, anyone have any experience or knowledge about the VFS offices and their timelines in Europe? Heard passport processing timeline is 6 weeks in any VFS office here.

Would really appreciate the information. Thank you.

Masked Maverick

Star Member
Jun 17, 2023
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 08, 2023
AOR Received.
July 08, 2023
Med's Done....
June 08,2023
Hello. July AOR here. Got the PPR via GCKEYS (Request Letter) but the letter does not have the form for eye colour and height. Is this normal? Do I download the for elsewhere or just send my passport like that.
There is no form. Simply write or type on an A4 and submit along with the other forms:

Name:
Right eye color:
Left eye color:
Height: in inches or cms

This is what I did and have read on some other threads.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

H7R7R7

Apr 5, 2023
Hey @Masked Maverick ! I went to meet my bank manager about the 20%TCS that @iSaidGoodDay had told us about.

So if you send up to 7 lakhs that’s not an issue. Also, there are two decent banks that allow us to open bank accounts while we’re still here in India. TD and ScotiaBank. Also, there are these forex cards that we can load and carry with us.

My only doubt is if we can use these forex cards to deposit money into our Canadian bank accounts once we reach there.
@iSaidGoodDay thoughts?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hey @Masked Maverick ! I went to meet my bank manager about the 20%TCS that @iSaidGoodDay had told us about.

So if you send up to 7 lakhs that’s not an issue. Also, there are two decent banks that allow us to open bank accounts while we’re still here in India. TD and ScotiaBank. Also, there are these forex cards that we can load and carry with us.

My only doubt is if we can use these forex cards to deposit money into our Canadian bank accounts once we reach there.
@iSaidGoodDay thoughts?
I cannot say for sure, but I doubt you can use forex for money deposits.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

@iSaidGoodDay thoughts?
Don't use Forex cards imo. Sending money is way better option. No need to pay transaction fees/taxes for two different steps.

Also, I forgot to say, but some flight options can fall under the TCS rule too. For example, anything that is bought through a travel agent who's using a travel package for cheaper flights. So do factor that when you transfer this amount.

Another thing to know is that once you get your NRI status (6 months outside of India) and have a NRE/NRO account - you can send money out of India without any taxes. The 20% TCS rule is extremely stupid as it only hurts those who truly need their funds. Once you are outside of India for 6 months, you can't have a regular account as it can be suspended/go-on-hold as you are no longer a resident - so do talk about your NRE/NRO options and understand how you'd like to manage them once you are in Canada. My relationship manager(RM) is looking after the accounts of my entities and my future NRE/NRO movement. Get their number and make sure you got yourself all help before you leave. I still talk to my RM over calls/Whatsapp to get most of my work done and they are an incredible help.

Masked Maverick

Star Member
Jun 17, 2023
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 08, 2023
AOR Received.
July 08, 2023
Med's Done....
June 08,2023

@iSaidGoodDay thoughts?
@H7R7R7 Yes I also enquired and got the same answers regarding foreign remittances. Also, inward remittances (money received from abroad) is not considered for TCS.
There are third party apps like WIse which also provide the feature of transferring money abroad. I am yet to compare banks and apps with respect to transfer charges and exchange rates..

Reactions: H7R7R7

Masked Maverick

Star Member
Jun 17, 2023
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 08, 2023
AOR Received.
July 08, 2023
Med's Done....
June 08,2023
Don't use Forex cards imo. Sending money is way better option. No need to pay transaction fees/taxes for two different steps.

Also, I forgot to say, but some flight options can fall under the TCS rule too. For example, anything that is bought through a travel agent who's using a travel package for cheaper flights. So do factor that when you transfer this amount.

Another thing to know is that once you get your NRI status (6 months outside of India) and have a NRE/NRO account - you can send money out of India without any taxes. The 20% TCS rule is extremely stupid as it only hurts those who truly need their funds. Once you are outside of India for 6 months, you can't have a regular account as it can be suspended/go-on-hold as you are no longer a resident - so do talk about your NRE/NRO options and understand how you'd like to manage them once you are in Canada. My relationship manager(RM) is looking after the accounts of my entities and my future NRE/NRO movement. Get their number and make sure you got yourself all help before you leave. I still talk to my RM over calls/Whatsapp to get most of my work done and they are an incredible help.
Thanks for your inputs @iSaidGoodDay. So maybe it's better. I guess, that I close my savings accounts here since they might get suspended and any money in it might also become difficult to access. I will talk to my bank rep about this too..

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thanks for your inputs @iSaidGoodDay. So maybe it's better. I guess, that I close my savings accounts here since they might get suspended and any money in it might also become difficult to access. I will talk to my bank rep about this too..
Nah, no need to close them. Close those that you are unlikely to ever use. You should keep them as long as you aren't on NRE/NRO accounts. A lot of people don't get their accounts suspended despite not being in India for more than 3 years, but suspension/freezing an account is a standard procedure that could be enforced for non-residents after 6 months. So, getting a NRE/NRO is more about housecleaning to make sure you don't have to bother with any of these issues down the line. Also, NRE/NRO will lift the 20% TCS and other tax related issues on rental properties or transactions, it will also making investing in India easier for you(if that's what you hope to do in future).

Reactions: Masked Maverick

harouku

Dec 4, 2023
Is there someone with the same experience? My criminality check has changed from passed to in progress again and final decision on my gckey was removed due to this. As per IRCC, there might be some internal issue that IRCC needs to rechecked. My PCC are all clearead. Not sure if it has something to do with my US tourist visa refusal which I declared on my application anyways.

H7R7R7

Apr 5, 2023

No way! That’s an amazing piece of advice! The 20% rule doesn’t apply if I become an NRI? That’s ridiculous.

So what I was thinking before I read this post of yours was to send money in increments via various accounts so as to avoid the TCS but if what you’re saying is true then this TCS rule is a bunch of bollocks and I’ll try to send my money once I receive my NRI status.

ymashruwala

May 1, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi all, received an email today to confirm my PR application i.e., the virtual landing portal email. I am travelling from Jan 18 to Feb 3. If I confirm my PR now and receive CoPR, it will disrupt my travel plans. What options do I have so that I can travel and delay this landing process? What should I do?
@legalfalcon

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
No way! That’s an amazing piece of advice! The 20% rule doesn’t apply if I become an NRI? That’s ridiculous.

So what I was thinking before I read this post of yours was to send money in increments via various accounts so as to avoid the TCS but if what you’re saying is true then this TCS rule is a bunch of bollocks and I’ll try to send my money once I receive my NRI status.
Yes, that's how stupid TCS really is. It only hurts an everyday commoner. Do talk to your banker about how you'll get your NRE/NRO accounts before leaving too.

Also, get your insurance claims history if you can. You can get ridiculously low insurance rates in Canada if your insurance provider takes your home country's insurance history.

Reactions: H7R7R7

H7R7R7

Apr 5, 2023
@iSaidGoodDay

So I was looking at cost of living in Toronto and it’s um quite a bit. That got me thinking of other cities like Montreal, but my question is can I move to Montreal, Quebec?

Are there any rules against someone living in Quebec? I can speak French at a Basic level. Learnt it for a couple years in school and brushed it up the last couple years as well.

So yeah, which city do you recommend a new immigrant should move to and is Montreal a good destination?