+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2023 - Citizenship Applications

Shahanastar

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
FSW
Hi everyone, hoping someone clarify and help. I Applied for citizenship in July and just received response saying the eligibility part of the application was incomplete.

Need clarification Regarding this question: During your 5-year eligibility period, did you have a valid temporary resident status before becoming a permanent resident?

Here is my info and timeline

came to Canada july 2019 from the UK as visitor and the passport was stamped with date of Jan 2020

Decided to submit spousal sponsorship Oct 2019

Approved work permit Feb 2020 with exp 2025

Received PR Sep 2020

I have a few questions:

1. Does my visitor status from July 2019 until I got work permit in Feb 2020 count as temp res status, if yes what the end date of this status. Would it be Jan 2020 the stamp on my passport or Feb 2020 when I got my work permit

2. does my work permit count as temp res status?
And same question as above what’s the end date. I assume end date would be when I got my PR

3.Just before I got my PR I was in the US on vacation with my spouse and received notification that I got my PR while in the US. I travelled sep 2 until sep 11. I got my PR sep 6. When I returned to Canada on sep 11 I entered with my PR. Initially I was going to enter with my work permit but figured that no longer applied. So my question is this, for calculating when I was away from Canada during this period do I split it up? For example would it be away from Canada sep 2 to 5 as temp res and then away from Canada sep 6 to 11 as PR holder. when I tried to enter the entire timeline sept 2-11 as one entry away from Canada it gave me problems.

Any insight would be helpful
Thank you
AH
This is a bit of a complicated situation to be in but the best approach would be to respond in a forthcoming manner just the way you explained your status here. Question would be if you would still remain eligible once the physician presence is adjusted towards your status in Canada.

I can share my opinion on your queries and if someone with more knowledge can chip in would be great.

Your visitor status should stand expired on Jan 20 based on 6 month stay permitted at port of entry. Not 100% sure if this counts as temporary status. The subsequent one month until work permit issuance would place you under implied status. Feb to Sep certainly counts as temp resident and thereafter as PR. End date of WP would be the date you re-entered Canada as a permanent resident.

Not sure of your last question but putting two entries would incorrectly add days to your physical presence as the system would count both start and end dates as days spent in Canada so you would need to be careful around that.

All the best.

soexcited

Oct 17, 2023
Just had a call with IRCC agent. My test shows completed on portal since September 13. However LPP has not even started unfortunately. This is quite disappointing. Agent mentioned my application is "parked' but doesnt see any issue. No clue whats going on
Did you have any updates about your LPP Test?
I'm having the same, I completed my test on the 15th of October any my tracker is still showing that the test not started! I'm a bit worried and confused!

Ah9412

Oct 17, 2023
This is a bit of a complicated situation to be in but the best approach would be to respond in a forthcoming manner just the way you explained your status here. Question would be if you would still remain eligible once the physician presence is adjusted towards your status in Canada.

I can share my opinion on your queries and if someone with more knowledge can chip in would be great.

Your visitor status should stand expired on Jan 20 based on 6 month stay permitted at port of entry. Not 100% sure if this counts as temporary status. The subsequent one month until work permit issuance would place you under implied status. Feb to Sep certainly counts as temp resident and thereafter as PR. End date of WP would be the date you re-entered Canada as a permanent resident.

Not sure of your last question but putting two entries would incorrectly add days to your physical presence as the system would count both start and end dates as days spent in Canada so you would need to be careful around that.

All the best.
Thanks for the reply.

For this particular question about whether I had valid Temp Res status prior to getting my PR, I know I need to include my time with the work permit Feb 2020 to Sept 2020 as having a "temp res" status.

I'm assuming I would not have had a "temp resident status" while I was a visitor therefore would not include this time as having a temp res status but I'm not sure.

here is their definition of temp res

Temporary resident meaning
A foreign national who is in Canada legally for a short period. Temporary residents include students, foreign workers and visitors, such as tourists.
  • Study permit: A document issued by IRCC that authorizes a foreign national to study at an educational institution in Canada for the duration of the program of study.
  • Work permit: A document issued by IRCC that authorizes a person to work legally in Canada.
  • A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa) is an official document that we stick in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada.
being from the UK I didn't get a "visitor visa" based on the above definition. I just had date stamped on my passport. but I also did come in initially as a tourist/visitor

The options to choose from are

Visitor
Temp foreign worker
international student
temp res permit holder

Based on the options available I think I should include my time as a visitor prior to getting WP as temp res status.

This should be straight forward and obvious but it's becoming confusing.

Ragarding my #3 question that a is unrelated to all the stuff above. I was just wondering when I enter my time away from Canada do I enter it all as one? Again I was away from Canada when I got my PR. So I left as a Work permit holder and came back as a PR. The reason I'm asking is doesn't it count the days differently when you aware away from Canada as a PR vs Temp?

Last edited:

gra_smi

Aug 2, 2023
I'm having the same, I completed my test on the 15th of October any my tracker is still showing that the test not started! I'm a bit worried and confused!
Mine never showed started. I went straight from background complete to test complete after I took it!

Reactions: soexcited

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
Nope. I’m pretty sure my application is going to be rejected due to ircc agent mentioning it being “parked”, haven’t heard at all. It’s been a month for me since my test has completed, and no update on the portal.

ab-ee-pnp

Aug 3, 2018
Nope. I’m pretty sure my application is going to be rejected due to ircc agent mentioning it being “parked”, haven’t heard at all. It’s been a month for me since my test has completed, and no update on the portal.
no , you will be fine....is there anything that you think there is reason to reject?

gr8man

Sep 8, 2017
I believe you are Scarborough where the application gets picked up around the 4 month mark after the test for LPP/Oath and there is no update before that. Atleast this is what I have calculated from all the updates in Scarborough thread. This sort of meets CIC guideline that most people get their oath between 4 and 6 month mark.

So currently applications with test completed around 3rd week of June are probably being scheduled for Scarborough.

By the way, my test was completed mid-Aug and there is no update for me either. I expect a mid-Dec oath if there are no other hurdles.

Reactions: navkrish

navkrish

Jun 1, 2018
The average processing time for citizenship application is around 17 months now. Background verification and test completed means most of the process is already done. Language, physical presence and prohibitions are straight forward and won't take much time to complete once the officer decides to work on the file. Many people have waited months and months after the test completed to see the updates. We can't compare other processing offices to Scarborough and every application is unique. Don't be disheartened and just chill

Reactions: SoHunny

navkrish

Jun 1, 2018
I believe you are Scarborough where the application gets picked up around the 4 month mark after the test for LPP/Oath and there is no update before that. Atleast this is what I have calculated from all the updates in Scarborough thread. This sort of meets CIC guideline that most people get their oath between 4 and 6 month mark.

So currently applications with test completed around 3rd week of June are probably being scheduled for Scarborough.

By the way, my test was completed mid-Aug and there is no update for me either. I expect a mid-Dec oath if there are no other hurdles.
You're right! 4 to 6 months wait is written on the Canada portal from test to ceremony.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=363&top=5

How long will I wait between my citizenship test and the ceremony?
In most cases, the ceremony takes place 4 to 6 months after you pass the citizenship test.
If you passed the test and don’t receive the ceremony invitation within 6 months
  • your application may be non-routine
  • we may need more information, documents, or time to review your application