+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2022 Citizenship Applications

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Any idea why Online applications take longer than Paper? It doesn’t make sense to me; I would think that a form that is already digital, would facilitate and expedite processing time. It is frustrating knowing that an old and rudimentary method is faster than a modern one, being that it is 2022 and not 1992… I understand that as they have always used paper based application, the process is already “clean” and smooth, but it would have been nice to know that beforehand, at least to have a warning on the portal stating the difference in time processing.
Just to give a broader answer and the background -

When they were moving everything online in late 2020/early 2021 they were working on online tests, oath via zoom as well as the online application.

Initially they tested a pilot in Dec 2020 (if I remember correctly) and about 5,000 applications were rapidly processed because it was the first production run and they were testing the system functionality as well as the capacity.

Around May 2021 or so, they started onboarding a small number of website visitors by random selection. Folks here on the forum saw the HTML source and the comment that said 10% will be randomly chosen and will be eligible to apply online and remaining will need to do paper.

Because of the novelty factor and the rapid processing in the December test run (without realizing it was a one time testing), and the exclusivity factor (that only 10% are eligible to apply), there was a sudden craze, the links were shared and everyone who's eligible (single applicants) all started using the link. So IRCC's gradual transition plan is thwarted and the volume quickly got out of hand.

After some months, IRCC decided they're going to remove that 10% criteria - but that limit never had any effect because everyone was sharing the link and using it anyways

If it was implemented as intended, the number of online applications would be much less than it is now and more proportionate to IRCC's capabilites.

I'm not saying IRCC could not have done a better job but when there are forums like this links are shared and people run with it without realizing the background work that's going on.

Could IRCC have taken a different approach? Yes but it's extremely difficult. The only way to beat link sharing in forums like this it to build a registration system with some form of unique id like the UCI and send a registration code by email etc.

Until early 2022 the belief was that online was processing faster because AOR was always faster it took 1 to 2 months for paper but much quicker for online.

The realization dawned after the ATIP reports even though it should've been clear for anyone looking at the spreadsheets. But people couldn't believe what their eyes were telling because online is supposed to be faster than paper, right?

And today when calculating the difference in processing time people always take the best case sceanrio and compare it with the worst case scenario to prove their point.

For example if there's one July 2022 paper applicant that's gotten oath, they'll take that and compare it with a January 2021 online applicant and say online is running years behind paper.

There are paper applicants from every office from every year from the past 5 years that's still waiting to this day.

And someone from Edmonton was comparing their online application progress with a Toronto paper application, it doesn't make any sense. Edmonton is slow for both paper and online - at every stage - compared to any other office out there. But if people are trying to make a point, I guess anything goes.

I'm not saying online is not slower in general, it certainly is, but over the past 3 to 4 weeks backlogged online applications until March are being processed at a rapid pace with BG, test, and oath all done in a 3 month span. It might still be slower than paper on average but by not much.

For instance, 2022 paper applicants from Winnipeg got DM status really quickly but they cannot take oath because Winnipeg appears be doing oath exclusively for backlogged applicants from 2021/early 2022, most online from a lot of offices across the country. In many of those cases Winnipeg paper got DM within 3 months in some cases but their total processing time mostly evens out with online and in some cases lags behind.

I understand it messes up test prep etc when they do all these things in a rapid fashion but it's still manageable for a reasonable person.

If you look at the trackers, eligible people still overwhelmingly go for online, some don't know it's relatively slow, but most seem to do it for convenience like avoiding copying all passport pages, mailing it etc.

I can understand the reasonable criticism from some folks that are genuinely surprised but of the people that have made online vs paper such a divisive issue on this forum, I can always tell they chose online because they were going to outsmart all the paper dumbdumbs and their gamble backfired. They can't accept the fact they made a play and it didn't work. It's a small number among online applicants but a very vocal minority. On the forum, they went around confronting paper applicants posting status or inquiring about their next dates as if paper applicants were secretly colluding with IRCC to sabotage online applications.

They just want their applications processed faster and they'll do anything and blame anyone until it's done without any place for logic or reasoning or who's responsible.

Still most of the online applicants are just normal folks, they were not trying to outsmart anyone, they don;t go around telling people they should wait for the thousands of online applicants behind them to process before they can ask any questions about their applications.

I understand how it feels to be waiting, refreshing the tracker everyday and seeing no updates, and I want every application to be processed in a fair, FIFO manner as much as possible and I try to provide any info I have in regards to that but it's not paper applicants' fault their application is processing faster. Are they going to tell IRCC 'hey, process my applications a little slower'?

Everyone's here for their own benefit but if we selfishly blame others who have nothing to do with our problems it's not good.

Long term, things like these are going discourage people from sharing their timelines and ideas on the forum.

ajx

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
congrats @ajx , are you able to log into portal ?
Yes I was able to login after resetting the password. There was some update performed earlier this month, there was a note about resetting the password when i tried login at first.

blal

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Hi, i have few questions about online citizenship test. Can we take the test on weekend? Or evenings?

Tammy1985

Star Member
Jul 22, 2022

When they were moving everything online in late 2020/early 2021 they were working on online tests, oath via zoom as well as the online application.

Initially they tested a pilot in Dec 2020 (if I remember correctly) and about 5,000 applications were rapidly processed because it was the first production run and they were testing the system functionality as well as the capacity.

Around May 2021 or so, they started onboarding a small number of website visitors by random selection. Folks here on the forum saw the HTML source and the comment that said 10% will be randomly chosen and will be eligible to apply online and remaining will need to do paper.

Because of the novelty factor and the rapid processing in the December test run (without realizing it was a one time testing), and the exclusivity factor (that only 10% are eligible to apply), there was a sudden craze, the links were shared and everyone who's eligible (single applicants) all started using the link. So IRCC's gradual transition plan is thwarted and the volume quickly got out of hand.

After some months, IRCC decided they're going to remove that 10% criteria - but that limit never had any effect because everyone was sharing the link and using it anyways

If it was implemented as intended, the number of online applications would be much less than it is now and more proportionate to IRCC's capabilites.

I'm not saying IRCC could not have done a better job but when there are forums like this links are shared and people run with it without realizing the background work that's going on.

Could IRCC have taken a different approach? Yes but it's extremely difficult. The only way to beat link sharing in forums like this it to build a registration system with some form of unique id like the UCI and send a registration code by email etc.

Until early 2022 the belief was that online was processing faster because AOR was always faster it took 1 to 2 months for paper but much quicker for online.

The realization dawned after the ATIP reports even though it should've been clear for anyone looking at the spreadsheets. But people couldn't believe what their eyes were telling because online is supposed to be faster than paper, right?

And today when calculating the difference in processing time people always take the best case sceanrio and compare it with the worst case scenario to prove their point.

For example if there's one July 2022 paper applicant that's gotten oath, they'll take that and compare it with a January 2021 online applicant and say online is running years behind paper.

There are paper applicants from every office from every year from the past 5 years that's still waiting to this day.

And someone from Edmonton was comparing their online application progress with a Toronto paper application, it doesn't make any sense. Edmonton is slow for both paper and online - at every stage - compared to any other office out there. But if people are trying to make a point, I guess anything goes.

I'm not saying online is not slower in general, it certainly is, but over the past 3 to 4 weeks backlogged online applications until March are being processed at a rapid pace with BG, test, and oath all done in a 3 month span. It might still be slower than paper on average but by not much.

For instance, 2022 paper applicants from Winnipeg got DM status really quickly but they cannot take oath because Winnipeg appears be doing oath exclusively for backlogged applicants from 2021/early 2022, most online from a lot of offices across the country. In many of those cases Winnipeg paper got DM within 3 months in some cases but their total processing time mostly evens out with online and in some cases lags behind.

I understand it messes up test prep etc when they do all these things in a rapid fashion but it's still manageable for a reasonable person.

If you look at the trackers, eligible people still overwhelmingly go for online, some don't know it's relatively slow, but most seem to do it for convenience like avoiding copying all passport pages, mailing it etc.

I can understand the reasonable criticism from some folks that are genuinely surprised but of the people that have made online vs paper such a divisive issue on this forum, I can always tell they chose online because they were going to outsmart all the paper dumbdumbs and their gamble backfired. They can't accept the fact they made a play and it didn't work. It's a small number among online applicants but a very vocal minority. On the forum, they went around confronting paper applicants posting status or inquiring about their next dates as if paper applicants were secretly colluding with IRCC to sabotage online applications.

They just want their applications processed faster and they'll do anything and blame anyone until it's done without any place for logic or reasoning or who's responsible.

Still most of the online applicants are just normal folks, they were not trying to outsmart anyone, they don;t go around telling people they should wait for the thousands of online applicants behind them to process before they can ask any questions about their applications.

I understand how it feels to be waiting, refreshing the tracker everyday and seeing no updates, and I want every application to be processed in a fair, FIFO manner as much as possible and I try to provide any info I have in regards to that but it's not paper applicants' fault their application is processing faster. Are they going to tell IRCC 'hey, process my applications a little slower'?

Everyone's here for their own benefit but if we selfishly blame others who have nothing to do with our problems it's not good.

Long term, things like these are going discourage people from sharing their timelines and ideas on the forum.
Excellent response, thank you for taking this time to respond Iceman, appreciate it

Reactions: iceman55

blal

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
yes, also did you get your test invite?
Thanks! Yes means we can take tests over weekend and evening(after 5 PM)? My tracker account is updated with citizenship status in progress. It says I will receive a test invite. I have not yet received the invite.

blal

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Yes, I took mine in Sunday late noon. you can take it anytime you want.
Great, thanks! I was wondering if it will be allowed as someone must be verifying our details and admitting to test, correct? Is it completely automated with no person talking to us before the test?

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Great, thanks! I was wondering if it will be allowed as someone must be verifying our details and admitting to test, correct? Is it completely automated with no person talking to us before the test?
It's not monitored realtime by a human but you'll be on webcam throught the test. They'll review the pictures taken during different times of the test before marking the test completed.

This link has everything:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/tutorial.html

blal

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018

ajx

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
That's correct. Make sure you take photo of your ID and yourself correctly. You can take someone's help if you find it difficult but other person should not be visible in your photographs and should leave the room before you start the test. go through this tutorial. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/tutorial.html

CrissP

Aug 2, 2022

Have no words to thank you for taking the time to provide such compelling information. Thank you thank you thank you. I now understand better the reasons behind the processing time.

Tatheer Zehra

Star Member
Aug 22, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-05-2017
AOR Received.
10-05-2017
File Transfer...
09-08-2017
Med's Done....
26-04-2017