+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

JULY 2020 *Outland* Spousal Sponsorship

Sukiki

Jul 24, 2020
Hi all! Hoping you guys can keep me sane during this long process of outland spousal sponsorship. I mean....Provide mutual support for each other.

I am a Canadian citizen and will be sponsoring my husband as PR. We both currently reside in Hong Kong. We DHL'ed our application on 15 Jul and shows that the package was received on 20 Jul on the courier website. Understand there's a huge backlog from reading other posts but I hope to hear back from them soon.

Other people in this forum often refers to a tracker or spreadsheet to monitor each other's progress of the application. Stupid question: where can I see this spreadsheet/tracker.

TIA

Alexn

May 15, 2020
Portugal
Category........
FAM
Hi all! Hoping you guys can keep me sane during this long process of outland spousal sponsorship. I mean....Provide mutual support for each other.

I am a Canadian citizen and will be sponsoring my husband as PR. We both currently reside in Hong Kong. We DHL'ed our application on 15 Jul and shows that the package was received on 20 Jul on the courier website. Understand there's a huge backlog from reading other posts but I hope to hear back from them soon.

Other people in this forum often refers to a tracker or spreadsheet to monitor each other's progress of the application. Stupid question: where can I see this spreadsheet/tracker.

TIA
The first post of this thread has the tracker :)

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
Hi, there, all,

I am still trying to understand the process.

Does anyone know how the Visa Office is determined when files move Visa Office and one is awaiting AOR2 (I think that's how it goes)? Which files move i.e. the sponsor's, principal applicants or both? Is it different if the couple is together outland or Canadian is in Canadian with non Canadian outland?

We are applying outland and are together outside of Canada (UK).

I reckon processing times will double, given the current situation. Hoping for AOR1 in autumn.

Thanks in advance, as I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.

LL

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
The backlog at July is about 4months, so for eg if processing begins in 3 months, add 3+4+2= 9 months to AOR1
Are you saying that applications received in July 2020 will receive AOR1 May 2021?

What does that 3, 4 and 2 months refer to in your calculation? Where do you get your information from to assess / calculate this?

Thank you.

LL

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Are you saying that applications received in July 2020 will receive AOR1 May 2021?

What does that 3, 4 and 2 months refer to in your calculation? Where do you get your information from to assess / calculate this?

Thank you.

LL
Yep thats exactly what im saying.
Worse case scenario.
4 months to account for backlog since March 2020.
Add 3 months backlog if processing resumes in 3 months from now.
Add 2 months for regular processing time per application.

It really depends how fast they can clear the backlog, but inability to work full force at the office, I doubt they can do it expeditiously.
We are the last generation of paper apps.
They are working on digitizing the process, but the fallen between the cracks r us.
Why do you think Minister Mendicino is keeping radio silence? Coz He doesnt wanna cause panic that current apps have no hope this year. He just buying time until the new system goes online.
How do I know this? Because I am Phalos.
I also predicted Trump would win.

Ottawagal

Aug 18, 2019
Hi, there, all,

I am still trying to understand the process.

Does anyone know how the Visa Office is determined when files move Visa Office and one is awaiting AOR2 (I think that's how it goes)? Which files move i.e. the sponsor's, principal applicants or both? Is it different if the couple is together outland or Canadian is in Canadian with non Canadian outland?

We are applying outland and are together outside of Canada (UK).

I reckon processing times will double, given the current situation. Hoping for AOR1 in autumn.

Thanks in advance, as I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.

LL
The principal applicant's file is transferred once to the Visa office after the sponsor has been approved to sponsor. I believr It is transferred to the visa office of the principal applicant's home country, in your case the London vo.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
The principal applicant's file is transferred once to the Visa office after the sponsor has been approved to sponsor. I believr It is transferred to the visa office of the principal applicant's home country, in your case the London vo.
Thanks - that makes sense.

Alpha D

Jul 27, 2020
Application was received in mar/22/2020, didn’t get any application number yet since that... anyone in same box?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Generally true. Some files are transferred to mississauga, seemingly files that are relatively simple and from countries with fewer security or other special considerations. Eg some India files go to mississauga, and mississauga seems to process more quickly (likely because the files themselves are 'easier' cases). Most Russia applications (if not all) go to Warsaw.

There have been some files that go to miss and then get transferred to field offices. Possibly the sort between easy/complex was mistaken. Perhaps there are staff with specific skills or knowledge or responsibility in one office and not another.

Note these are generalisations. They may transfer to specific offices for other reasons - workloads, capacity, backlogs, staff training, procedural pilots or other reasons we have no insight into.

And note, 'easy' or 'complex' is not a real term. It may be more like standard / non-standard or something similar. In other words, don't over-react to news it went to one office or another.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I should have noted above that this info (interpretations really ) is mostly from pre covid files. I would expect more variety and changes as they will have to balance work depending on how different offices open according to local conditions. And it's possible they will make changes to procedures - some temporary, some more permanent - as well, we really don't know.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
We are doing an outland application and we are both abroad, so whether they would prioritise us or not, I don't know. I would have thought all family applications are priority, but hey ho. I understood that on the CIC website they are prioritising Canadians trying to return to Canada - don't know that applies to me either.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Quite simply, I just want to return home. But anyone who has to go through immigration processes is at the mercy of the bureaucratic machine. And it is a burden on families, no matter what your make up or geographic arrangement.