+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

JULY 2020 *Outland* Spousal Sponsorship

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
For anyone who is applying where both partners are outland:

1. did you receive a letter requesting proof of intent to return;​
2. how many days did you have to provide evidence, if so;​
3. what types of evidence did you use, especially if you didn't return to Canada straight away and did you get approved without returning to Canada before DM, PPR AND CoPR etc​
This is what concerns me the most, as I want to minimise the amount time we could be separated (and concerned we could be separated and somehow not approved).

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and is GC Key down?

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021

3. what types of evidence did you use, especially if you didn't return to Canada straight away and did you get approved without returning to Canada before DM, PPR AND CoPR etc​
This is what concerns me the most, as I want to minimise the amount time we could be separated (and concerned we could be separated and somehow not approved).

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and is GC Key down?
We are applying outland. I am the Canadian citizen and I haven't received any letter requesting proof of intent to return.
I am currently still abroad, but I was wondering when would the intent to return be questioned ? Wouldn't that happen before they provide Sponsor Approval ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and is GC Key down?
1. We did not get a letter requesting more information. Perhaps our file was particularly strong; don't know. My impression is that there is slightly more of a tendency to request such addl documentation (possibly with moving files to 'new' or different offices or using more junior staff to handle files); but I suspect there are also some nationality issues at play (countries where there is more history/desire to have a Canadian PR status as a backup). Also possibly if sponsor has not maintained ties to Canada, another area where our file may have been stronger.

3. Got approved without returning to Canada first. This was also explained in app (wouldn't return without kids etc).

Possible separation: I think you are being overly worried about this but don't know your situation. Since your spouse is from ETA country, it's basically your choice, spouse could travel with you. Or join when convenient later. Obviously employment is the main other factor there for you. Also depends when you are thinking you will return to Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We are applying outland. I am the Canadian citizen and I haven't received any letter requesting proof of intent to return.
I am currently still abroad, but I was wondering when would the intent to return be questioned ? Wouldn't that happen before they provide Sponsor Approval ?
Your sig shows you got an ADR, what was that for?

And no, in all the files/cases I have seen, the request for addl docs about intent to return to Canada came well after the sponsor approval. In our gcms notes at the initial file summary - it notes / noted that the sponsor is citizen abroad and officer will need to examine the intent to return (don't recall exact info) along with the other minor notes made. I.e. it seems that they evaluate this part at the same time as the PA eligibility (corresponding I guess to one of the things needed for pre-arrival services or approval in principle).

Just from what I've seen of course, YMMV.

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
Your sig shows you got an ADR, what was that for?

And no, in all the files/cases I have seen, the request for addl docs about intent to return to Canada came well after the sponsor approval. In our gcms notes at the initial file summary - it notes / noted that the sponsor is citizen abroad and officer will need to examine the intent to return (don't recall exact info) along with the other minor notes made. I.e. it seems that they evaluate this part at the same time as the PA eligibility (corresponding I guess to one of the things needed for pre-arrival services or approval in principle).

Just from what I've seen of course, YMMV.
Additional Docs were relating to Police Certificate. We provided one from our current residence in the Netherlands, but they requested 2 others from different countries where my partner resided and we hadn't thought about. We provided them and got confirmation they were added to our file in early April. That's the only additional document request we have received, so far at least.

I did not especially focus on my intent to return to Canada in the application, so I have to admit I am a bit worried now that I haven't shown enough.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I did not especially focus on my intent to return to Canada in the application, so I have to admit I am a bit worried now that I haven't shown enough.
Don't panic - just start to collect information and supporting evidence. Housing search, job search, financial arrangements, moving arrangements, schooling, etc - to be prepared for if/when they ask (it will be much less stressful for you if you prepare a bit in advance).

Personally I would wait until they ask unless/until you have something very strong and/or confirmed to update them on; examples here would be eg actually arriving in Canada (change of address for sponsor) or a solid, confirmed job offer/acceptance with start date in relatively near future. (By this last I mean eg a job offer that starts in 1-3 months). Job searches/emails/employer discussions etc are good supporting docs if/when they make addl doc request.

Reactions: LotusLeodis

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
Don't panic - just start to collect information and supporting evidence. Housing search, job search, financial arrangements, moving arrangements, schooling, etc - to be prepared for if/when they ask (it will be much less stressful for you if you prepare a bit in advance).

Personally I would wait until they ask unless/until you have something very strong and/or confirmed to update them on; examples here would be eg actually arriving in Canada (change of address for sponsor) or a solid, confirmed job offer/acceptance with start date in relatively near future. (By this last I mean eg a job offer that starts in 1-3 months). Job searches/emails/employer discussions etc are good supporting docs if/when they make addl doc request.
So, I already have a job offer since I'll be moving with my current company, just to Canada, and will be continuing my current role. The official start date of that change is August 1st. Guess if I can get it in writing from the company, that's something that'd be worth attaching to our application ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So, I already have a job offer since I'll be moving with my current company, just to Canada, and will be continuing my current role. The official start date of that change is August 1st. Guess if I can get it in writing from the company, that's something that'd be worth attaching to our application ?
I guess so. Is this with a Canadian affiliate or just a change of job location?

Would still be pretty strong I should think. May want to attach eg plane reservation.

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
I guess so. Is this with a Canadian affiliate or just a change of job location?

Would still be pretty strong I should think. May want to attach eg plane reservation.
Change of Job location, but it means my contract will be moved under the Canadian subsidiary of our company.
I'll look at booking flights already as well in that case, just so that I am ready if the question comes up.

RamandeepS

Mar 17, 2021

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and is GC Key down?
Hey buddy, my wife is Canadian citizen and currently living with me in india as we are waiting for my pr.
Our file is currently showing decision made under ecas after pre arrival letter..
We didn't provide any specific data to proof intent..
Don't know , might be they ask about intent to return before passport request.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Change of Job location, but it means my contract will be moved under the Canadian subsidiary of our company.
I'll look at booking flights already as well in that case, just so that I am ready if the question comes up.
Legally you are changing employer, and your new contract will be with the Canadian subsidiary/affiliate. IRCC will not care whether you are doing the exact same job or just similar but with Canadian clients (for example) - because in all important respects it is a new employer and a new job (whether a transfer or not). Hence yes, the written offer/acceptance or whatever would be very strong evidence.

BTW in the general discussion: I cannot confirm but my impression is that IRCC requests addl info for intent to return less frequently in cases where PA is from an ETA country or PA has long-term visas and has visited Canada many times. The logic is pretty simple: a PA from an ETA country (or long-term visa) could have just showed up in Canada and applied inland; and esp for ETA applicants, it's pretty unlikely that they are doing so as a backup place to live (eg passport/PR of convenience). In both cases, the ETA/long-term TRV holders are probably applying for some intent to actually reside/work rather than just sort-of visit (one of the main reasons to apply outland/returning in such cases would be to have right to work from day of landing).

By no means are these the only factors of course and as I guessed at above, it's also possible that IRCC has just decided to make asking for this information more routine.

canadianexpat93

Star Member
Apr 8, 2021
Legally you are changing employer, and your new contract will be with the Canadian subsidiary/affiliate. IRCC will not care whether you are doing the exact same job or just similar but with Canadian clients (for example) - because in all important respects it is a new employer and a new job (whether a transfer or not). Hence yes, the written offer/acceptance or whatever would be very strong evidence.

BTW in the general discussion: I cannot confirm but my impression is that IRCC requests addl info for intent to return less frequently in cases where PA is from an ETA country or PA has long-term visas and has visited Canada many times. The logic is pretty simple: a PA from an ETA country (or long-term visa) could have just showed up in Canada and applied inland; and esp for ETA applicants, it's pretty unlikely that they are doing so as a backup place to live (eg passport/PR of convenience). In both cases, the ETA/long-term TRV holders are probably applying for some intent to actually reside/work rather than just sort-of visit (one of the main reasons to apply outland/returning in such cases would be to have right to work from day of landing).

By no means are these the only factors of course and as I guessed at above, it's also possible that IRCC has just decided to make asking for this information more routine.
That would somehow make sense honestly. Perception of intent for PA from ETA country is different, which affect the requests.

Thank you so much for the insights ! Whatever happens, it is better to be prepared than not, so I'll make sure to gather some documents just in case.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That would somehow make sense honestly. Perception of intent for PA from ETA country is different, which affect the requests.

Thank you so much for the insights ! Whatever happens, it is better to be prepared than not, so I'll make sure to gather some documents just in case.
When you get your job offer/contract or whatever, that will be useful info to provide and I'd do it as soon as you get it. Even if they're not 'worried' about your intent to return, like any bureaucratic process, answering the question (before they've asked it) might speed things up, makes the officer's job that much easier. (Might not speed things up though certainly won't hurt)

Last edited:
Reactions: canadianexpat93

Alexn

May 15, 2020
Portugal
Category........
FAM

I had the same impression, but I guess I'm unlucky... just got a request for additional intent to return proof. PA from ETA country. Really don't know what else to send... I was trying to avoid buying tickets already but I guess I have no choice.

My guess is they want an update because it has been almost a year and things might have changed.

Last edited:

Syan24

Apr 15, 2019
Hello
I have a question regarding my spousal file
On both sides we got DM in march and still waiting for PP in the mean time i came to visit my spouse in hope that we will go together but now the flights from india has been banned
Does it affect our file ??