+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2019 - Citizenship Applicants

conti

Dec 7, 2015
I've mailed my application back in July 2019 and it's been in process since November 2019. It's assigned to Scarborough office.
Today I reached our to the call center to get an update since I have had nothing since in Process email, the agent told me that my application is still showing open and under background/security check. She said I can reach out to the officer and see if I can get more info. I guess she meant that I ask for notes on my application.

Is there anyone else here in the same shoe? I understand that scheduling tests is taking longer because of Covid but why the security check is taking this long too?
Thanks,

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
congratulations. happy for you. can you share your application timeline with us ?
My timeline:

Applied July 2019
In Progress Oct 30, 2019
Original Test: March 24, 2020
Online test invite: Dec 18,2020
Test taken: Dec 26,2020
Decision Made: Jan 7, 2021
Virtual Oath invite: Jan 22, 2021

Kohl

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
I see a lot of information here about the additional documents required at or around the time of the online test. I am trying to gather those documents in advance and am confused about the I-94. I don't know exactly what I need because I haven't had any information requested from me, but since things take time I am trying to do so in advance. I am a US citizen with travel to the US. I don't see a way to get an I-94 because I am a US citizen. ("U.S. Citizen and Lawful Permanent Resident travel is NOT provided on this website."I94 - Official Website (dhs.gov) ) Does this mean there is no such thing as an I-94 for US citizens, or is there a more complicated way to obtain one?

Update: The wikipedia page on I-94's states "Form I-94, the Arrival-Departure Record Card, is a form used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) intended to keep track of the arrival and departure to/from the United States of people who are not United States citizens or lawful permanent residents " I am starting to think that I don't need to provide I-94 information as I am a US citizen even though I had travel into the US. Does anyone know if this is correct? Form I-94 - Wikipedia

Last edited:

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
I see a lot of information here about the additional documents required at or around the time of the online test. I am trying to gather those documents in advance and am confused about the I-94. I don't know exactly what I need because I haven't had any information requested from me, but since things take time I am trying to do so in advance. I am a US citizen with travel to the US. I don't see a way to get an I-94 because I am a US citizen. ("U.S. Citizen and Lawful Permanent Resident travel is NOT provided on this website."I94 - Official Website (dhs.gov) ) Does this mean there is no such thing as an I-94 for US citizens, or is there a more complicated way to obtain one?

Update: The wikipedia page on I-94's states "Form I-94, the Arrival-Departure Record Card, is a form used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) intended to keep track of the arrival and departure to/from the United States of people who are not United States citizens or lawful permanent residents " I am starting to think that I don't need to provide I-94 information as I am a US citizen even though I had travel into the US. Does anyone know if this is correct? Form I-94 - Wikipedia
Yes, as a US citizen you don’t have this.

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've mailed my application back in July 2019 and it's been in process since November 2019. It's assigned to Scarborough office.
Today I reached our to the call center to get an update since I have had nothing since in Process email, the agent told me that my application is still showing open and under background/security check. She said I can reach out to the officer and see if I can get more info. I guess she meant that I ask for notes on my application.

Is there anyone else here in the same shoe? I understand that scheduling tests is taking longer because of Covid but why the security check is taking this long too?
Thanks,
I am exactly in the same shoe. Every time I submit application status update request via IRCC Web Form, the response is it's in process. Earlier this week I have requested for notes. It took 17 months to complete my PR application. So, I wonder, they are going through the same route again. This is an example of how inefficient an organization could be.

Reactions: royce110

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Again, you don’t know other people’s situation. While it’s unfortunate that you have to wait this long, pointing out that someone has processed faster than you is irrelevant to your application process speed within the IRCC. You don’t know why theirs
Is moving faster. The question is, why is your moving slower?

You can request your GSCM notes and see if there is anything in them which might shed light on why yours is taking so long. If your PR took 3x longer than average then there’s a good chance there’s something in your file that makes the IRCC spend extra time on you. Maybe it’s a place you traveled in the past or a job you had. Maybe the office that’s processing your application slow. Maybe they are having a problem verifying something. There are a ton of things that can cause a slower process.

So, no, there’s not evidence that the CIC is being unfair at this time. Just because you are not happy with the speed of which your application is processing doesn’t mean there’s something nefarious going on at the IRCC.
Yes, you are correct. I am wondering, why my application is moving slower since they verified everything during the PR process. And I know it's my name that caused a background/security check. That's the stupidest thing I have every experienced - screening through just by the NAME???

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I am exactly in the same shoe. Every time I submit application status update request via IRCC Web Form, the response is it's in process. Earlier this week I have requested for notes. It took 17 months to complete my PR application. So, I wonder, they are going through the same route again. This is an example of how inefficient an organization could be.
I think someone else already pointed this out to you.

If it took 17 months for your PR application, then we can only assume that there was additional scrutiny there. (Or this might have been a 'forgotten application' too, which I think happens a LOT but since both your PR AND citizenship applications are getting delayed, I think additional scrutiny scenario is more likely than its 'forgotten application' counterpart).

Yes, there is a chance that they are "inefficient" but let's assume they are not and look at the other side of the coin, shall we?

Your application can take time if the background checks show some kind of a name / DOB match to any of the criminal databases (RCMP, CSIS, probably FBI and Interpol as well). This doesn't mean you are a criminal (and I don't mean to say that either) => This just means that they want to scrutinize your application further to make sure that all the red flags raised are cleared before they proceed further with your application.

As a general consensus, this happens when the person has a common name. This can also happen based on the countries you've visited in the past, country you are from, sometimes jobs held in the past.

Background checks are done to ensure the safety of everyone living in Canada. They just want to be sure that everyone who says who they are on the application are actually who they are. For some people, this happens faster because they do not have a very common name or their name/DOB doesn't bring up any flags in the criminal databases. They might not have long travel histories or they might not have visited certain countries in the past.

I get that you are frustrated and I can definitely sympathize with you but you need to put in effort into understanding why there are long delays in your specific case. Yes, there have been delays for everyone lately but I wouldn't call them inefficient right off the bat. There are some processes that could definitely be improved but they'll get there.

When you receive your GCMS notes - check what is being done on the application (Anything related to security / BG checks will be redacted from IRCC GCMS notes). However, you could, may be, find something in the officer's notes or something on the notes that gives you some small detail on where your application is.

I wish your application is processed soon! All the best!

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Yes, you are correct. I am wondering, why my application is moving slower since they verified everything during the PR process. And I know it's my name that caused a background/security check. That's the stupidest thing I have every experienced - screening through just by the NAME???
"I am wondering, why my application is moving slower since they verified everything during the PR process."

Security checks are only valid for 1 year. After that, they expire.

The whole reason why you see so many people being requested a second set of fingerprints is precisely because of that reason. If the checks expire, IRCC cannot use them to process your application. That is why, a second set of prints are being asked.

ahmed29s

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"I am wondering, why my application is moving slower since they verified everything during the PR process."

Security checks are only valid for 1 year. After that, they expire.

The whole reason why you see so many people being requested a second set of fingerprints is precisely because of that reason. If the checks expire, IRCC cannot use them to process your application. That is why, a second set of prints are being asked.
Thanks for the clarification. I have called it the stupidest thing cause I am on the no-fly list and can't check in Online. Hope you understand how frustrating that is when you are on no-fly list just for a set of names that was not given by yourself!!

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram