+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2019 - Citizenship Applicants

AliMo

Dec 2, 2014
IELTS Request
N/A
From Oavkville here. Took the test Dec 30 at Hamilton office. Still In Process. No oath taking invite still.
Congrats., Ketchpop.
Your timeline is a real exception to what's usually happening to any Halton region applicant :)
Do you mind sharing your dates as I couldn't find your entry at the sheet?

ketchpop

Jan 24, 2020
Congrats., Ketchpop.
Your timeline is a real exception to what's usually happening to any Halton region applicant :)
Do you mind sharing your dates as I couldn't find your entry at the sheet?
New here, sorry. Mainly just trying to see if anybody is on the same boat as me.
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on August 1, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 18, 2019.
  3. We started processing your application on November 12, 2019.
  4. We sent you a notice on December 5, 2019 to appear and write the citizenship test on December 30, 2019 at 9:00 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
Note that me, my dad and my (minor) sister sent our application together (3 apps). My dad and I took the test at the same date/office. No interviews or fingerprint requests at all. Weird how still showing as In Process and no Oath taking invite still. (Mom is already a citizen, we noted her citizen ID to my sisters app)

Reactions: AliMo

XyL

Jul 11, 2019
ecas status changed to Decision Made on Jan 28, 2020. Took the test on Jan 27, 2020. Please update line 52.

jabrillo

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Winnipeg MB
New here, sorry. Mainly just trying to see if anybody is on the same boat as me.
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on August 1, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 18, 2019.
  3. We started processing your application on November 12, 2019.
  4. We sent you a notice on December 5, 2019 to appear and write the citizenship test on December 30, 2019 at 9:00 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
Note that me, my dad and my (minor) sister sent our application together (3 apps). My dad and I took the test at the same date/office. No interviews or fingerprint requests at all. Weird how still showing as In Process and no Oath taking invite still. (Mom is already a citizen, we noted her citizen ID to my sisters app)
You will find your entry in August tab of spreadsheet.

Reactions: AliMo

MR21

Star Member
Jun 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 3, 2015
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
March 02, 2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
May 10, 2016
Med's Done....
May 13, 2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
December 02, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
December 13, 2016
LANDED..........
December 13, 2016
Hi,

My ECAS got updated to "Decision Made" status today. Please update the spreadsheet.
Thanks.

Hello Everyone,
Yesterday I got my citizenship test. I am a July 2019 applicant from Montreal.

Anyway, I am writing today to share some of my experiences about the Citizenship test with you guys and I hope It will help to to prepare good and be confident and stay chill!! :)

Keep your agenda empty for at least 3 hours for the whole test session. On the test day, two things will happen:
  • The Citizenship Test
  • Citizenship Interview (no matter what you pass or fail)

The Citizenship Test
  1. We showed up at the test center 15-20 minutes before the test time (our time was 12.30 pm). They took 20-30 min to make the applicants check-in to the exam hall. They called the couples first and let them in to the exam hall at the very beginning! So, this not a privilege, rather they wanted to make sure that we are not sitting together... LOL ;) . Once everyone is in they started the instruction session and ultimately started the exam around 12.50 pm.
  2. The Documents (printed hard copies and original copies) you need to carry with you:
    • The citizenship test invitation letter (you would get over the email)
    • Passports (valid, expired, all)
    • PR card, Drivers License, Medicare card
    • PR Landing paper (COPR)
    • Language Proficiency proof (for us, it was our Masters degree certificate done from Canada)
    • Photocopies of your passports
    • Just in case docs: CSQ (if you are a QC applicant), your job offer letter). These docs are not required but good to have.
  3. You absolutely don't need to bring anything like pen or pencil, they provide everything.
  4. NO CHEATING is ALLOWED! If they find you cheating, they would immediately make you stop writing the exam and expel. However, there are 4-5 sets of exam to prevent the cheating.
  5. Total 20 MCQ Questions, 30 min time. Believe me, it would take max 10 min to finish! You need to make 15 correct answers to pass the exam.
  6. Question Pattern:
    • Its STRICTLY forbidden to share the questions by the IRCC! Doing so would bring a very negative consequences.
    • Just read the 'Discover Canada' booklet. Its only 50 pages of reading. You just need to read ONCE! we took the day and night before the exam to read the book. it was about 3-4 hours of non-continuous reading. Important Note: That one-time 3-4 hours of reading made us to score 18/20, but making 20/20 score should need a through 2-3 times reading.
    • We took the practice test from www.yourlibrary[.]ca/citizenship/
    • The question types for me was: 70% fill in the blanks (MCQ, you need to pick the correct answer from the 4 choices for the blank space) + 15% true/false + 15% regular MCQ
    • Questions are pretty straight forward, no confusing answers, if you know the topic then you can find the answer easily, and thats why it takes only 8-10 min to finish.
    • You dont need to memorize the years mentioned in the history section. SO dont take stress!
    • Lastly and Again.... Just give a through reading to "Discover Canada" booklet and you will be able to pass!
  7. Once the test is over, they will collect the whole package and start checking the answer right there.
  8. They will make you seat at another room and there you will wait for your citizenship interview with an officer. The wait time is roughly 15-40min. Ours was around 20min.
  9. The quicker you fish the exam, the quicker they will finish checking your answers and the quicker you will get the interview.

Citizenship Interview
  1. No matter what you pass or fail, they would call you for the interview.
  2. They call me and my wife together, but took the interview individually, the interview officer was the same. They made my wife waiting outside of the interview room during my interview.
  3. Total interview time is 10min, maximum.
  4. What happens during the interview:
    • The interview officer would have the citizenship application package open in-front of her (the application and documents we sent on July)
    • She asked me for my PR card, passports, A piece of photo ID which has my signature on it (drivers Lic or medicare card) and COPR
    • She started checking those documents
    • While checking the docs, she was asking me some very basic questions like
      • How long I have been in Canada
      • What was my status when I came to Canada.
      • What do I do for living
      • What is my current address and am I renting or owning
      • Do I file my Canadian taxes regularly or not
      • Where are my parents and are they alive
      • How did I calculate the amount of days I was absent in the "Physical Presence Calculator" document.
      • Do I have a child and where did the child born
    • These are roughly the questions I remember and I thing thats it.
    • She was verifying all the answers those are verifiable from the application.
    • They asked my wife a question : do you know the neighboring area of your area of living and can you name one of them?
    • Anyways, lastly She congratulated me for passing the exam and told me my score.
    • She said, everything is okay with my application and she would be finally taking the decision on my file. I would hear back from IRCC soon about the next step (I believe that the Oath ceremony)
  5. You are all done and just walk away from the building!

These are roughly our experience. Dont be very biased from it and then again dont be very stressed! Coz, you may experience 99% same like us.
Good luck for your exam!

Reactions: mimi31sweet

Ver94

Aug 17, 2019
Hello everybody, just inquiring for my partner that already did her citizenship test and passed. Has anyone as of yet received the invitation to do the oath ceremony? Any idea of when we might expect it? :eek:

Edit: Test taken on January 8th in Scarborough!

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
Hello everybody, just inquiring for my partner that already did her citizenship test and passed. Has anyone as of yet received the invitation to do the oath ceremony? Any idea of when we might expect it? :eek:

Edit: Test taken on January 8th in Scarborough!
Based on the current trend for Scarborough (July onward) it seems Oath Ceremony is at around between 45 to 60 days mark after your application goes to “Decision Made” (provided it’s a routine application). All the best!

Ver94

Aug 17, 2019
Based on the current trend for Scarborough (July onward) it seems Oath Ceremony is at around between 45 to 60 days mark after your application goes to “Decision Made” (provided it’s a routine application). All the best!
Hmm.. on ECAS it showed "decision made" only a couple of days after she did the test :confused: hopefully it will come soon!

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
Hmm.. on ECAS it showed "decision made" only a couple of days after she did the test :confused: hopefully it will come soon!
In that case (if there is no issue) I’d expect the oath date around end Feb or early March. Good luck!