+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2017 Citizenship applicants

Got sick of waiting

Star Member
Nov 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

I know how agonizing it is to wait but you will feel so good once you get there! And you WILL, as hard as it might be try not to worry when there's literally nothing you can do to make the process speed up. Nothing worth having ever comes easily :) But be assured that your time is coming, there seems to be no explanation as to why some people's applications are processed faster than others or why you have to wait so long but it will all be worth it.

Just wanted to share my experience from yesterday. The process for the Oath was actually a bit similar to the test. We had to line up to check in/register individually with an officer, and surrender our PR card (#wompwomp - no travel across the border for me this long weekend). They ask a question like, "Have you had any problems with the law or other immigration officials" and just ask for a yes or no answer. Otherwise they just say a few things, like about applying for a passport, you have to wait 3-5 business days, and then the ceremony is assigned seating so you don't have to worry about being a little late during that registration process, or rushing to get to the front of the line because you'll either be waiting in the registration room, or waiting in the ceremony room. There was also a bible in several different languages available as a free gift, and they give you a cultural access pass as a gift that is valid for a year to give you complimentary access to museums, national parks, and all sorts of other things. It looks really good!! I think it took about 45 minutes for everyone to get registered and into the ceremony room, so I was told to be there for 10am and then I think the ceremony started about 10:45am.

Once we went into the ceremony room there was a little package on our chair, with a program and printed copies of the oath and national anthem, as well as a little Canadian flag and a pin. They have an officiant guiding the proceedings and then the judge presides over it. They show a video with scenes from Canadian life and Justin Trudeau delivers a message, which was really nice. I guess at some point I had indicated that I preferred an English ceremony and they mentioned that the majority of proceedings would be done in English, but we did have to say the oath in both English and in French (you repeat each line after the judge). They have officials posted around the room to ensure you are saying the words.

One small tip is that they ask you to bring all the original documentation you submitted for your application, as well as all current and expired travel documents -- just the same things that they ask you to bring in for the test. I would just keep all these things together once you've done your test, so that you don't have to gather them all together a second time. They didn't ask to see any of it, but you have to take it anyway.

One thing I did want to mention in particular was how shocked I was at people's dress code at the event. There were a few people who did make an effort, but the majority of other citizenship recipients at my event did not make one iota of effort in how they were presented. Maybe I shouldn't even comment as I don't know people's circumstances, but I absolutely do not think that sweatpants, flannel, or running shoes are appropriate attire for an event of this magnitude. I felt that it showed a lack of respect for Canada and for the other recipients - we all know that it is such a long and arduous process that actually getting to the day of taking the oath is such a huge achievement and should really be marked as one with proper clothes and marking it as the occasion that it is. I don't think you need to go overboard but business attire should be the standard.

Anyway, congratulations to those of you who have already taken the oath and best of luck for those still waiting :)
Congratulations

therealdark

Sep 6, 2017
Please update my status in the tracking sheet:
Test invite date: Jan 22
Test Interview date: Feb 5

They did take their sweet time but it worked perfectly for me as I was traveling overseas. Anyhow, good luck to the ones that are waiting.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please update my status in the tracking sheet:
Test invite date: Jan 22
Test Interview date: Feb 5

They did take their sweet time but it worked perfectly for me as I was traveling overseas. Anyhow, good luck to the ones that are waiting.
Updated. Congrats!!

swapno

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
This question is for those who got their passport recently or who knows the fact:
I got my citizenship oath on Feb 6th and I am going to apply new passport for myself and family. I just filled up the application form.
1. I am going personally to apply. Do i need to give any photocopy or i can show all original copy like driver’s licence, health card and citizenship certificate?
2. My wife and I will be going to passport office in Hamilton. My kids will be in school. Do I need to bring them or I can show thier original documents?
3. Do I need to make copies of their documents or I can bring the original as they will not be going to apply passport?

Appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

Curious12

Jul 19, 2017
This question is for those who got their passport recently or who knows the fact:
I got my citizenship oath on Feb 6th and I am going to apply new passport for myself and family. I just filled up the application form.
1. I am going personally to apply. Do i need to give any photocopy or i can show all original copy like driver’s licence, health card and citizenship certificate?
2. My wife and I will be going to passport office in Hamilton. My kids will be in school. Do I need to bring them or I can show thier original documents?
3. Do I need to make copies of their documents or I can bring the original as they will not be going to apply passport?

Appreciate your help and thanks in advance.
I don't know about your kids. But I applied in person and only showed the original documents, no photocopies.

swapno

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
I don't know about your kids. But I applied in person and only showed the original documents, no photocopies.
Thank you very much. Does anyone have any idea about the kids. If I don’t bring them to passport office (as they have school), do I need to bring copy of their original documents or I can show their original documents on their behalf

In the case I have to bring copies do they need to be signed by gaurantor? Appreciate tour help.

Curious12

Jul 19, 2017
Thank you very much. Does anyone have any idea about the kids. If I don’t bring them to passport office (as they have school), do I need to bring copy of their original documents or I can show their original documents on their behalf

In the case I have to bring copies do they need to be signed by gaurantor? Appreciate tour help.
Any photocopies must be signed by the guarantor: "For new passport applications you will need to find a guarantor to sign your application, one of your passport photos and all copies of any supporting identity documents you are submitting with your application."

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
I applied today in Montreal, if your applying in person there is no need for copies, they will check originals and return it to you immediately
For the kids you need their birth certificate, translated to English or French if it's in other language
If you have a child 16 and up they need to be there to sign the express service if your asking for it or else there is no need for the kids to be there

swapno

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
I applied today in Montreal, if your applying in person there is no need for copies, they will check originals and return it to you immediately
For the kids you need their birth certificate, translated to English or French if it's in other language
If you have a child 16 and up they need to be there to sign the express service if your asking for it or else there is no need for the kids to be there
Thank you very much for your reply

khanlov

May 25, 2011
Just wanted to see if anyone dealing with edmonton office is in same boat. Did test on Nov 21, and haven't heard anything since. I did send an email and got a pre-drafted response that wait for correspondence from IRCC edmonton. Any advise?

Reactions: elie72

elie72

Sep 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 Aug 2007
Doc's Request.
17 Aug 2009
AOR Received.
13 Aug 2007
Med's Request
March 2011
Med's Done....
08 April 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21 September 2011
VISA ISSUED...
05 October 2011
LANDED..........
23 December 2011
Just wanted to see if anyone dealing with edmonton office is in same boat. Did test on Nov 21, and haven't heard anything since. I did send an email and got a pre-drafted response that wait for correspondence from IRCC edmonton. Any advise?
Same here. Did test on Nov 29 and not hear yet. Status is Decision Made and waiting. We have to be patient.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Finally had my test. Got 20/20
Now another wait starts for oath letter
Any idea for mississauga applicant.. How long did it take?

khanlov

May 25, 2011
Same here. Did test on Nov 29 and not hear yet. Status is Decision Made and waiting. We have to be patient.
Thanks Elie72. I hope we get it soon. People who did test after us already got citizenship. Any idea why few ppl are still stuck? did you call them to check?