+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2017 Citizenship applicants

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your reply Katayoon. I do not have any document like that so I guess it's only applicable;e to people that have such a document. So I would guess you didn't have to show that either?
Right - I just ignored that bullet in the check list because it does not apply to me. All I needed was two pieces of ID, citizenship certificate, photos, application form and fee. I would suggest going in person so that you can explain on the spot if they have questions. In my case they questioned me how come my guarantor signed in a different city so I explained I couriered package to him to Calgary because I could not find anybody locally. Otherwise they would have to call me later, ask questions, resolve doubts etc. We already waited enough, we do not need this extra "pleasure".

Reactions: CanadianSoonToBe

sam847

Star Member
Jan 2, 2017
Right - I just ignored that bullet in the check list because it does not apply to me. All I needed was two pieces of ID, citizenship certificate, photos, application form and fee. I would suggest going in person so that you can explain on the spot if they have questions. In my case they questioned me how come my guarantor signed in a different city so I explained I couriered package to him to Calgary because I could not find anybody locally. Otherwise they would have to call me later, ask questions, resolve doubts etc. We already waited enough, we do not need this extra "pleasure".
Many thanks Katayoon. Your experience is really valuable here. I have one more questions, I will have to apply for passports my family after the oath. Since I would go the route you said (in person) do you think I would need the whole family to go or I can go with all the docs/ applications?

Reactions: Katayoon

CanadianSoonToBe

Mar 8, 2017
Mississauga
Many thanks Katayoon. Your experience is really valuable here. I have one more questions, I will have to apply for passports my family after the oath. Since I would go the route you said (in person) do you think I would need the whole family to go or I can go with all the docs/ applications?
You can apply for them if you are not doing express or urgent process, but you need some kind of proof of your relationship with them. Check this link out under "If you are applying in person"
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply.html

mickel44

Star Member
May 24, 2013
Hi Katayoon,

I am wondering if the references needed for passport application should be canadian citizens as well? For example say they are currently refugees, should that be ok? Would they call them as well or only guarantor?

Thanks guys!

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Katayoon,

I am wondering if the references needed for passport application should be canadian citizens as well? For example say they are currently refugees, should that be ok? Would they call them as well or only guarantor?

Thanks guys!
Hi mickel44,

References need not be Canadians unlike the guarantor.

You need two references for your passport renewal or new applications. Your references must:

• have known you for at least:
    • two years for passport applications
    • six months for Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document applications
  • not be your guarantor
  • not be a family member
  • be 18 years of age or older
  • agree to you using their name and contact information for your application

So being refugee does not disqualify one from being a reference.

The real pain somewhere down there is finding guarantor because he has to be Canadian with a valid passport (or expired for no more than 1 year), has known you for at least 2 years and go through the pain of signing your papers (and giving their personal details) and responding to calls.

It depends - sometimes they call both references and guarantor, and sometimes they call nobody. So far they called my guarantor right next day after I applied. I have not heard anything from my references yet. But maybe it is because my references are celebrating somewhere and are not accessible. In this sense, I found citizenship application easier as we do not depend on a signature or a good word of one person! I would rather study for tests on my own than run all over the place, begging for a signature :eek:

Last edited:

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are very welcome, sam847. Good luck with your application. Sorry not sure about family applications but I see Canadiansoontobe already responded to you.

mickel44

Star Member
May 24, 2013
Hi mickel44,

You need two references for your passport renewal or new applications. Your references must:

• six months for Certificate of Identity or Refugee Travel Document applications
  • not be your guarantor
  • not be a family member

The real pain somewhere down there is finding guarantor because he has to be Canadian with a valid passport (or expired for no more than 1 year), has known you for at least 2 years and go through the pain of signing your papers (and giving their personal details) and responding to calls.

It depends - sometimes they call both references and guarantor, and sometimes they call nobody. So far they called my guarantor right next day after I applied. I have not heard anything from my references yet. But maybe it is because my references are celebrating somewhere and are not accessible. In this sense, I found citizenship application easier as we do not depend on a signature or a good word of one person! I would rather study for tests on my own than run all over the place, begging for a signature :eek:
Thanks a lot katayoon!!

I agree with you studying for the test is much easier than depending on somebody else to be accessible/answer phone calls. For sure you know that there is still a way to apply if you don't find a guarantor but I am pretty sure we dont wanna go into such an option that would introduce some additional delays!!
Regards,

Mickel

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot katayoon!!

I agree with you studying for the test is much easier than depending on somebody else to be accessible/answer phone calls. For sure you know that there is still a way to apply if you don't find a guarantor but I am pretty sure we dont wanna go into such an option that would introduce some additional delays!!
Regards,

Mickel
Exactly - we already waited enough. Good luck with your PP application! We are almost at the end!

David_Parker

Star Member
Mar 29, 2015
Hello, just want to update you, I final get my test invitation on Dec 22, 2017 and my test will be on Jan 15, 2018. I was following this thread regularly. I am really very motivated by reading posts as it took me 11 years to reach.I have few questions:
For example : i take oath on Feb 14, 2018 , so i can apply passport Feb 16, 2018 (so two days will be counted or it will be Feb 17, 2018 ) ?
What do i need to do with my current passport?
What free admissions or passes / benefit, i will get after getting citizenship?

Experts, please guide me

zeeshee

Jan 22, 2010
NOC Code......
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
My wife is Canadian citizen. Can she be my guarantor for my passport application?

Hi mickel44,

• not be your guarantor
  • not be a family member

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife is Canadian citizen. Can she be my guarantor for my passport application?
Yes.

You need a guarantor for new passport or travel document applications that you submit by mail or in person. Your guarantor can be a family member or anyone living at your address, as long as they meet the guarantor requirements.

The guarantor must complete their duties, free of charge, including:

• completing and signing the “Declaration of Guarantor” section of your application
  • writing “I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant name)” on the back of one of your passport photos and signing it
  • signing and dating your photocopies of each document you have submitted to confirm your identity (if it applies to you)
You cannot help the guarantor in performing these duties. Contact us if your guarantor needs help.

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, just want to update you, I final get my test invitation on Dec 22, 2017 and my test will be on Jan 15, 2018. I was following this thread regularly. I am really very motivated by reading posts as it took me 11 years to reach.I have few questions:
For example : i take oath on Feb 14, 2018 , so i can apply passport Feb 16, 2018 (so two days will be counted or it will be Feb 17, 2018 ) ?
What do i need to do with my current passport?
What free admissions or passes / benefit, i will get after getting citizenship?

Experts, please guide me
I would rather go on Feb 19 Monday, so start counting 2 business days from next business day after oath. You can still go on 16th - if you are not yet in the system, they will tell you to come later.
They do not need your current passport from your home country - I did not even take it with me when I applied. Canada does not prohibit dual citizenship, however if your home country prohibits dual citizenship it is your responsibility to inform your authorities and figure out next steps.
During the oath, they will give you a leaflet on how to register for new citizen's free cultural pass. It will be valid for 1 year and give you free admission to most museums and parks in Canada and a one time 50% discount on Via Rail tickets.

Reactions: David_Parker

NevPen

Star Member
Jul 10, 2017
No news about oath yet :( How is it possible I haven't heard anything since October 17th when my test was? They said 4-8 weeks for oath, and it's been ages now. Do you think it would make sense to call CIC and ask about it? Anyone has tried to contact CIC and managed to receive useful info from the phone agents?

jaioublie

Sep 9, 2016
I received the invitation for oath on Jan 17, unfortunately I have to travel for work and the business trip was all confirmed and booked. I tried to contact CIC by calling the customer service but was not able to speak to agent...Anyone had similar experience? What would be the best way to reschedule? I remember my officer for the interview and test told me I need to send an mail if I cannot attend the ceremony on the scheduled date..That sounds very inefficient...