+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2017 Citizenship applicants

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:cool::cool:
My guess is the security checks are done before the test invite.
I know couple of my friends who applied at the end of June got their test invites pretty much of same timelines. They got the decision made update right after a week or so after their test date and now got invite for oath.
Anyway we'll know soon enough. Thanks for the wishes!
Wow that is very encouraging to hear. You have inspired me to go through the book for the 3rd time.
I saw in the tracker that some Ottawa applicants this year got their decision made within a week from test and oath letter within a month after that. So let's ace the test and sleep in peace after that cause there is nothing else we can do really...
I see we are both going without the so called "buffer" so I am glad I am not the only one. Anyway I printed out all my tickets and stapled boarding passes to them so the package is fat as Ottoman emipire's history. I am'ready for the battle!:cool:

Reactions: bhanump and koor

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From my personal experience, as well as from reading through this forum posts, there is no standard approach for security checks. For instance, when I called them after the test that several weeks passed and yet my status is In Process - why? The answer was they are doing background checks (means security checks). Whereas, in other cases, security checks were done before the test; thus, DMs made earlier followed by oath invitations.
From my PR application I remember that background checks are different from security checks - I forgot the subtle difference but it may have changed since then. Congrats anyways! At least you are done with DM and they will not send you request for extra docs.

Reactions: koor

koor

Jul 5, 2012
From my PR application I remember that background checks are different from security checks - I forgot the subtle difference but it may have changed since then. Congrats anyways! At least you are done with DM and they will not send you request for extra docs.
Interesting to know the difference. Seems like background checks take longer than security checks. E.g. for security checks, they can easily get a report from police. For background checks, they have to check all your addresses, places, countries here you lived, exit and entry stamps etc; an onerous task though.

Reactions: Katayoon

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting to know the difference. Seems like background checks take longer than security checks. E.g. for security checks, they can easily get a report from police. For background checks, they have to check all your addresses, places, countries here you lived, exit and entry stamps etc; an onerous task though.
Exactly - from what I remember, background checks are for espionage, revolutionary intentions and things like that (so potential violations) while security is about the actual violations of law that the applicant has already made. I remember there was even a FAQ on that on CIC web where they defined these but I no longer remember the actual definition. Anyway they may have merged these two since then. Those who have seen their GCMS notes, or whatever they are called, can see if these two appear separately or together. Whatever the name is, it is an annoying wait for us. So name does not really matter.

Reactions: koor

koor

Jul 5, 2012
Exactly - from what I remember, background checks are for espionage, revolutionary intentions and things like that (so potential violations) while security is about the actual violations of law that the applicant has already made. I remember there was even a FAQ on that on CIC web where they defined these but I no longer remember the actual definition. Anyway they may have merged these two since then. Those who have seen their GCMS notes, or whatever they are called, can see if these two appear separately or together. Whatever the name is, it is an annoying wait for us. So name does not really matter.
I found the answer, here you go:

Regarding Background Checks: Clearances
Overall, generally, most applicants are not likely to encounter any more than minimal delays due to background clearances. Some will, most will not.

There are three formal clearances (background checks) required for grant citizenship applicants.

These are: GCMS; RCMP; and CSIS

They are essentially, respectively:

GCMS: immigration (confirmation of status and admissibility)

RCMP: criminal background, which can be more robust than just the name-record criminal history check, which probably means it can involve queries beyond arrest and disposition records, such as into whether any law enforcement body is conducting an investigation or the individual is a suspect or has known connections to those known to be involved in criminality (the name-record criminal history check is done periodically throughout the process, and is similar to one often conducted during any secondary examination at a POE, and it is mostly a query run against an arrest and dispositions database based on individual's name and date-of-birth)

CSIS: security background (while obviously the scope of this is not public information, it is readily recognized that it at least involves queries into intelligence sourced databases, and other government security databases, which might reveal activity or ties related to organized crime, terrorist organizations, suspect military history)

These clearances are all requested by CPC-Sydney upon the application being placed "in process." The RCMP and CSIS requests are done by referral to, obviously, the RCMP and CSIS. (Thus, the RCMP and CSIS clearances are not done by CIC, but by referral to the respective government body.)

Previously, for sure, and probably still the case, the fact that clearances are outstanding does not preclude the application moving to the next step in the process until the test/interview step. It appears clear, though, that any outstanding clearance will delay scheduling the test/interview; note that other participants have recently reported receiving letters specifically indicating their scheduling for the test/interview "may be delayed if security, criminal and immigration background checks are not complete."

In this regard, however, there may be a difference between whether the original clearance, in response to the referral from CPC-Sydney, is complete, in contrast to an expired clearance which is in need of an update.

For sure, clearances will be need to be current, and thus those expired need to be updated, before the oath will be scheduled.

Link: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14710&title=what-does-that-mean-background-check

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I found the answer, here you go:

Regarding Background Checks: Clearances
Overall, generally, most applicants are not likely to encounter any more than minimal delays due to background clearances. Some will, most will not.

There are three formal clearances (background checks) required for grant citizenship applicants.

These are: GCMS; RCMP; and CSIS

They are essentially, respectively:

GCMS: immigration (confirmation of status and admissibility)

RCMP: criminal background, which can be more robust than just the name-record criminal history check, which probably means it can involve queries beyond arrest and disposition records, such as into whether any law enforcement body is conducting an investigation or the individual is a suspect or has known connections to those known to be involved in criminality (the name-record criminal history check is done periodically throughout the process, and is similar to one often conducted during any secondary examination at a POE, and it is mostly a query run against an arrest and dispositions database based on individual's name and date-of-birth)

CSIS: security background (while obviously the scope of this is not public information, it is readily recognized that it at least involves queries into intelligence sourced databases, and other government security databases, which might reveal activity or ties related to organized crime, terrorist organizations, suspect military history)

These clearances are all requested by CPC-Sydney upon the application being placed "in process." The RCMP and CSIS requests are done by referral to, obviously, the RCMP and CSIS. (Thus, the RCMP and CSIS clearances are not done by CIC, but by referral to the respective government body.)

Previously, for sure, and probably still the case, the fact that clearances are outstanding does not preclude the application moving to the next step in the process until the test/interview step. It appears clear, though, that any outstanding clearance will delay scheduling the test/interview; note that other participants have recently reported receiving letters specifically indicating their scheduling for the test/interview "may be delayed if security, criminal and immigration background checks are not complete."

In this regard, however, there may be a difference between whether the original clearance, in response to the referral from CPC-Sydney, is complete, in contrast to an expired clearance which is in need of an update.

For sure, clearances will be need to be current, and thus those expired need to be updated, before the oath will be scheduled.

Link: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14710&title=what-does-that-mean-background-check
Thank you koor, I think officers following interview usually say it whether your checks are outstanding or no, if you ask how long you have to wait for oath. So I am definitely gonna ask following my interview and I will post here what they say.

koor

Jul 5, 2012
Thank you koor, I think officers following interview usually say it whether your checks are outstanding or no, if you ask how long you have to wait for oath. So I am definitely gonna ask following my interview and I will post here what they say.
I did not have to ask as the officer himself told me that from 4-6 weeks I should get an invite for the oath; however, it took more than a month just for status change to DM. If the officer doesn't tell you, you should definitely ask.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Hi all, my partner passed the test Thursday :) 18/20 with a lot of studying. The interview was very tough. Lady said at the beginning "I know you passed the exam but you haven't passed the interview yet." Gave him crap about his English. Gave him crap about something written on his COPR and grilling him about his children in the Philippines. Interviewer was also Filipina and there was some strong cultural bias against him being separated for sure. But in the end he passed the interview and it was all done in 2 hrs. Waiting for the ceremony date in the mail, they said it will probably be in about 5 months time. We are happy to have this over with!

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all, my partner passed the test Thursday :) 18/20 with a lot of studying. The interview was very tough. Lady said at the beginning "I know you passed the exam but you haven't passed the interview yet." Gave him crap about his English. Gave him crap about something written on his COPR and grilling him about his children in the Philippines. Interviewer was also Filipina and there was some strong cultural bias against him being separated for sure. But in the end he passed the interview and it was all done in 2 hrs. Waiting for the ceremony date in the mail, they said it will probably be in about 5 months time. We are happy to have this over with!
Yeah that is why exactly I am more concerned with interview than test - because it all depends on the character and mood of the interviewer. 5 months is a long wait...

kpkinnera

Feb 10, 2011
Hi Guys
Finally Calgary on the move!
I got the test invite Yesterday (20th of October) but ECAS updated on Saturday . I have checked on Friday night update was not there.
"We sent you a notice on October 20, 2017 to appear and write the citizenship test on November 23, 2017 at 8:00 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment,"

Last edited:
Reactions: Steph C

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
We are in Victoria. I don't know where our office is
Yeah that is why exactly I am more concerned with interview than test - because it all depends on the character and mood of the interviewer. 5 months is a long wait...

bhanump

Star Member
Jun 28, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
06-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-11-2010
AOR Received.
18-05-2011
IELTS Request
Done
File Transfer...
08-05-2012 to Detroit and "in process"
Med's Request
14-06-2012
Med's Done....
19-06-2012 Medicals Received: 20-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2012
LANDED..........
22-08-2012 Received PR card : 26-10-2012
:cool::cool:

Wow that is very encouraging to hear. You have inspired me to go through the book for the 3rd time.
I saw in the tracker that some Ottawa applicants this year got their decision made within a week from test and oath letter within a month after that. So let's ace the test and sleep in peace after that cause there is nothing else we can do really...
I see we are both going without the so called "buffer" so I am glad I am not the only one. Anyway I printed out all my tickets and stapled boarding passes to them so the package is fat as Ottoman emipire's history. I am'ready for the battle!:cool:
Most of the time, when you are ready for a battle you find there is not much to fight. That's the good thing about being prepared. Hope things will go smooth for you. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: NevPen and Katayoon

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most of the time, when you are ready for a battle you find there is not much to fight. That's the good thing about being prepared. Hope things will go smooth for you. Fingers crossed!
Thank you my friend. I just finished packing up my "heavy artillery". All required docs + tickets with boarding passes + rental leases + employment contracts. All we need now is a reasonable officer :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bhanump

kpkinnera

Feb 10, 2011
I have applied for citizenship and received the exam date for my self, spouse.My son is under 14, is it required to bring minor's documents for verification during the test day? What documents are required?

Does we required to take below documents ?
1. Application, physical presence sheets:
2. Passport, COPR, PR card, language, identity docs etc.: travel documents what does it mean?

Last edited: