+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

July 2014 Citizenship Applications

Canad87

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
CanV said:
It does not have to be but you definitely should. If you show up to the interview with an expired passport there is a good change you will get RQ.
Why ? whats the logic behind it ? Even I think it better to a passport that will be near to be expired ? that mean you do not have intentions to leave the country in the mean time during the process of the application

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
CanV said:
It does not have to be but you definitely should. If you show up to the interview with an expired passport there is a good change you will get RQ.
That is not known to be an indicator of RQs. In fact, it may be viewed as genuine. Call cic and get a second opinion. (That's all you'll get even from them--an opinion.)

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
Empirical-Scientist said:
That is not known to be an indicator of RQs. In fact, it may be viewed as genuine. Call cic and get a second opinion. (That's all you'll get even from them--an opinion.)
What triggers RQ is if you lost your passport, not being expired. Expired passport can still be verified the stamps, and if you extended it but declare not, passport would be clipped or marked : extended.
Applicants from certain countries of origin, cannot extend their passport in Canada, because the embassy doesn't have passport extension service.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canad87 said:
Why ? whats the logic behind it ? Even I think it better to a passport that will be near to be expired ? that mean you do not have intentions to leave the country in the mean time during the process of the application
How about someone that actually renewed passport and used it to travel but claimed they never renewed it? Thats the reason for RQ.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Do they process applications received in order of date received ? One sees a back and forth of people a bit later sometimes seeing e-CAS update before those earlier.

Odd...wonder what system they have. Do they have bins for each date in a month (scenario A, so all application packages recd on same day are in one place)

OR

do they TIMESTAMP the date of receiving application on the envelope and then throw all into one bin (scenario B, packages with very different but close recd dates could be together ?)

Guess we don't know what system they have at Sydney ?

Canad87

Star Member
Jul 1, 2014
CanV said:
How about someone that actually renewed passport and used it to travel but claimed they never renewed it? Thats the reason for RQ.
make sense ... Hopefully we gonna get rid of this process ( I mean this whole PLAY ... RQ ,FP, come and go , send us this and that .....bla bla bla) !

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
CanV said:
Won't make it that way. First of all, when you renew your passport, it would be clipped or stamped. Consider you are from 3rd world country and you can "talk" with your embassy not to do anything on your old passport (almost no embassy will do that for you, otherwise you are the president's son/daughter), still you will need your PR card as a visa when you return to Canada. All developed countries that don't require a visa to enter Canada, will 100% clip or stamp your passport.
Then CIC can check your travel record by name and dob only or PR card number, they don't need your passport number.
Unless you are a real ninja, having renewed passports with different names. But even if you are, better swim out of Canada and swim back. :D

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Any e-CAS updates from CIC for applicants whose application was received in the last week of July ?

Also, its not fully clear if they are doing ONLY e-CAS or have fully switched to email acknowledgement of receipt...

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BLT said:
Won't make it that way. First of all, when you renew your passport, it would be clipped or stamped. Consider you are from 3rd world country and you can "talk" with your embassy not to do anything on your old passport (almost no embassy will do that for you, otherwise you are the president's son/daughter), still you will need your PR card as a visa when you return to Canada. All developed countries that don't require a visa to enter Canada, will 100% clip or stamp your passport.
Then CIC can check your travel record by name and dob only or PR card number, they don't need your passport number.
Unless you are a real ninja, having renewed passports with different names. But even if you are, better swim out of Canada and swim back. :D
Thats not always true. I have seen old passports untouched, mine is one. Besides the point, I have seen cases where the applicants had absolutely nothing to trigger RQ aside from an expired passport. CIC is asking you send passports covering the 4 years period, not 3 years 11 months and no passport after. Yes anal but thats how it is. There was actually someone on the forum that got an RQ because of that. Sorry I am not going search for the post though.

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
us2yow said:
Do they process applications received in order of date received ? One sees a back and forth of people a bit later sometimes seeing e-CAS update before those earlier.

Odd...wonder what system they have. Do they have bins for each date in a month (scenario A, so all application packages recd on same day are in one place)

OR

do they TIMESTAMP the date of receiving application on the envelope and then throw all into one bin (scenario B, packages with very different but close recd dates could be together ?)

Guess we don't know what system they have at Sydney ?
I think the second scenario is correct at least during the initial scrutiny. Each file then moves on its way depending upon the weight/complexity attached to it.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
CanV said:
Thats not always true. I have seen old passports untouched, mine is one. Besides the point, I have seen cases where the applicants had absolutely nothing to trigger RQ aside from an expired passport. CIC is asking you send passports covering the 4 years period, not 3 years 11 months and no passport after. Yes anal but thats how it is. There was actually someone on the forum that got an RQ because of that. Sorry I am not going search for the post though.
What??? You renewed your passport and the embassy never marked anything on your old passport? This is the first time I heard about it.
My passport has expired for 2 years when I applied, no problem at all. Like I said, they could find out if you travel with another passport, because CBSA can check your record by name and dob only. Even if your passport doesn't require a visa to re-renter Canada (in this case your PR number would be recorded) and you went to USA, they could contact US border and find out. That one even better than CBSA's system.
As for RQ, it is a mystery. Some people with valid passport, never traveled in the last 4 years, also got RQ. Some even lost their passport, gave photocopies to CIC, but never given RQ.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
BLT said:
What??? You renewed your passport and the embassy never marked anything on your old passport? This is the first time I heard about it.
My passport has expired for 2 years when I applied, no problem at all. Like I said, they could find out if you travel with another passport, because CBSA can check your record by name and dob only. Even if your passport doesn't require a visa to re-renter Canada (in this case your PR number would be recorded) and you went to USA, they could contact US border and find out. That one even better than CBSA's system.
As for RQ, it is a mystery. Some people with valid passport, never traveled in the last 4 years, also got RQ. Some even lost their passport, gave photocopies to CIC, but never given RQ.
The question of RQs may be a mystery, but some potential indicators along with some facts may always be consulted at: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010