+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Judicial review case

mrs waseem

Star Member
Dec 13, 2009
As my case totally ruined and refused on 1st step.
I dont have right to go in appeal .
My case need to be judicial review '
Lawyer asking heavy fees .
Please guide me wht to do ?
Anyone know good lawyer who can honestly help me .

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Try the owner of the forum. You should expect it to cost about $5,000 just to do the application for judicial review and them more if it’s accepted.

Mom31

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
I would say only go for it if you think your reasons are very strong and you really feel that the review can overturn the decision. Otherwise you will just be wasting your time and money.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As my case totally ruined and refused on 1st step.
I dont have right to go in appeal .
My case need to be judicial review '
Lawyer asking heavy fees .
Please guide me wht to do ?
Anyone know good lawyer who can honestly help me .
What do you mean by your case was ruined?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You just got your letter that your case was refused. Your lawyer was supposed to apply for judicial review on Monday and you got refusal for step one in one day. Something isn’t right here.

mrs waseem

Star Member
Dec 13, 2009
You just got your letter that your case was refused. Your lawyer was supposed to apply for judicial review on Monday and you got refusal for step one in one day. Something isn’t right here.
My nod I recieved on Monday.
I got refusal as lack of supporting documents my lawyer hadn't submitted.
Now I will appeal in federal court for judicial review. I'm so much disturbed and worried.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My nod I recieved on Monday.
I got refusal as lack of supporting documents my lawyer hadn't submitted.
Now I will appeal in federal court for judicial review. I'm so much disturbed and worried.
My advice is that you want a new lawyer (not the one you used previously) and this needs to be a good lawyer who is very experience with judicial reviews for refugee cases. If you want the best lawyer and best chance of succeeding, you will need to hire one yourself and unfortunately this won't be cheap. Relying on a lawyer through legal aid will give you a lower chance of success.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You need a really good lawyer with expertise in immigration federal judicial reviews. You can’t rely on legal aid (if you had) if you even want to get past stage one of the judicial review. Also what is the date of your NOD and when did you receive it. You are under time constraints as you need a lawyer who will work focus on your case to get all documentation in on time. Prepare for very high costs.

mrs waseem

Star Member
Dec 13, 2009
I recieved on 26th nov.
That's why I'm facing another lawyer asking heavy fees which not affordable.
My previous lawyer suggesting another lawyer he will charge heavy but I dont want to trust him again if he couldn't handle my case previously how his suggested lawyer will handle.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I recieved on 26th nov.
That's why I'm facing another lawyer asking heavy fees which not affordable.
My previous lawyer suggesting another lawyer he will charge heavy but I dont want to trust him again if he couldn't handle my case previously how his suggested lawyer will handle.
You need another lawyer. If you don’t trust your lawyer’s suggestion then find a new one. There is no way around it, it will be expensive. Also these are the law fees for just the first stage: Leave Stage. If successful, you then will have fees for the judicial review. So for the leave stage, estimates are $7-10,000. The leave stage looks at whether there was an error according to current laws or whether judgment was fair. And then if successful, another $7-10,000 to prepare for a judicial review. Find a qualified lawyer that can provide a flat fee rather than per hour. Again these are estimates.

Reactions: Buletruck

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also just to add, you only have another week to apply for a judicial review so you need to find a lawyer today or tomorrow. They need to work on your file ASAP.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Keep in mind that JR will only look for errors in law. They won’t be looking specifically at your refugee claim, so your reasons for the claim won’t carry much weight in the decision making. This is why it’s critical to have a competent lawyer.....it’s no longer about risks you and your family face. It’s now about procedures and decisions made by IRCC.