+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Joint bank account

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hi,

I have a question regarding joint bank accounts.
My common-law partner banks with TD and we were thinking of adding my my name to her main account and also open a saving account.
She owns a house and we don’t have much proof of cohabitation aside from the internet bill that is under my name and same address (land location).
No lease, no insurance, not much to show basically.

I’m gonna submit the application in March and I wanna know if by adding my name to her account and opening a saving one would be enough proof.
We’re also starting a Costco membership this month and I wonder if we could add that too as a proof of cohabitation.

thanks

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
That would not be enough proof, and in any case, you need to show proofs that go back a year. Look through the forum for common-law proofs, there are lots of examples that can help you.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
That would not be enough proof, and in any case, you need to show proofs that go back a year. Look through the forum for common-law proofs, there are lots of examples that can help you.
I did but I still don’t have much proof. The only thing I can think of is the mail I get which ends in the same PO Box and I could have letters from friends and family notarized.
We can’t afford insurance or other policies right now.

I’m at my 3rd visitor extension and I was gonna ask for another 12 months so I could have 1 year of joint bank account.
I’m gonna prepay for the fees and attach them to the visitor extension application and write a letter explaining the situation.

malimu

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
May be i can help.. Based on the research here n help
Banks will surely add you and make a joint account. They will also give u rightaway paper to indicate u have joint account. mine was done at scotia. Go online sign on to the gas bill. Add a name there. Get a cell phone sim that shows u adress n name even though one of u only qualified for a sim card. Get a credit card at the bank with 500$ credit n use the mail adress. They cab give u a letter stating this if statement comes late. get library card or pc momentum card. Take pictures with neighbors n u will have letters from them n famil as well. Have some one post a card to u at the adress.. If more questions advise. i am in process so can share ideas