Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
30-06-2016 & submitted 01-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
Hey guys. so I have recently submitted my sponsoring app for my husband. I work part-time at the moment but we were wondering that what kind of jobs can he get into as soon as he gets here? something other than the ordinary like working at a store lol.
Something that is long term, reliable, requires maybe only a few months of training or some sort of lisence & that get the bills paid nicely. :(

So, what are some good-to-start-off job here in Toronto and their pre-requisites?

He is a MCOM qualified guy with loads of experience in supervising construction sites of his own & real estate (that's what he does back home)
Any ideas would be nice. Thanks! ;)

Reactions: KABUGO IVAN

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If he's looking for something that pays well and has good long-term potential, he should psychologically prepare himself for a 6-8 month search (possibly more). Some people are lucky a find good jobs immediately - but that's the minority. And unfortunately Master's are a dime a dozen in Toronto (i.e. feels like everyone has one). Generally the jobs available as soon as you get here don't have great pay or great hours.

Your question is probably a bit too general for people to help. What industry is he looking to get into here? Construction? Real Estate? Something else? Providing a bit more information will assist us in directing you.

rsk8

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
29-12-2015 (in process)
Med's Request
gawd, thx none!
Med's Done....
31-08-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
umm, i liked how u were very upfront, open & realistic about ur reply. I'm pretty realistic myself and i do understand due to the language, educational and cultural differences, it does take some time :(

as of what type of work he wants, anything reasonable and respectable, pretty much. i work at an office-setting kinda work so i like that even tho sadly it's not the best pay :/ but he is interested in electrical work, real estate, anything related to his field i guess i.e. commerce, so some position at maybe a bank... (that's what i want tbh for him, he's more broad about what he can do as long as it makes him good money, lol)
the general idea is i personally dont want him to be struggling with labor jobs that are hard work with very little pay.
i have JUST filed my app so its still a long run til he comes here but i wanted to get some info on what people do when they get here? :(

he is really business oriented, we usually discuss like opening up a store or something that looks good to say about where u work at ya know what i mean. ik its a battle b/w having ends meet at the end of the day versus self esteem. i just cant see him struggling at odd jobs if he can find something better...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rsk8 said:
umm, i liked how u were very upfront, open & realistic about ur reply. I'm pretty realistic myself and i do understand due to the language, educational and cultural differences, it does take some time :(
I was born in Canada but mentor new business immigrants to Canada. So while I haven't gone through this process myself, I have seen plenty of people who have and know what it typically takes to get a half decent job. Most of the people I mentor have Masters degrees and extensive experience. Most of the individuals I have mentored have also had to take "survival jobs" (e.g. labour jobs, grocery store jobs) while they waiting to find a job in their professional field.

I work in banking. Unfortunately there's really no training or license he can get that will guarantee a good job in banking. Some people may suggest the CSC to you (Canadian Securities Course). However this course is extremely easy and lots of people have it. It can be helpful - but it certainly won't by any means guarantee he'll be hired. Getting a CPA or CFA would probably help secure a job - but these are by no means easy to get. They time time (typically year) and dedication. If he wants to enter the banking field (but has no banking experience) - he should focus on entry level jobs. Even then, there is lots of competition. Additionally, most of Canada's big banks have just completed or are in the process of completing staffing cuts. So there will be fewer positions and more competition for those positions for the next little while.

If his English skills are not yet excellent, this would be a good thing for him to focus on while he waits for his application to be processed. I would also recommend he begin researching jobs in Canada by looking at job postings to understand what qualifications employers are looking for and what he may qualify to apply for once he arrives in Canada.

Good luck.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
I don't think Scylla was upfront enough.

Are you bringing him to Disneyland or Canada, I am confused?

Because getting a job in Canada has always been a bit of a challenge, especially nowadays when the economy is in a big decline.

There is no such thing as easy 3 month training and off you go. If there was, many people would be doing it.

I am afraid he is going to have to adjust to a harsh reality.

rsk8

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
29-12-2015 (in process)
Med's Request
gawd, thx none!
Med's Done....
31-08-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
i understand ur guys' point of views and by no means assume or beleive it will be all easy within a snap. I KNOW THAT. i just was wondering what jobs can he look for, something that he can get into within a few months of searching that can get us by with rent/ mortgage, groceries and utilities. i mean something that is fair enough and not burnin bridges to make ur bills with just 200 bucks to spare at the end of the month kinda thing.

:)

like a general idea of what newbies come and get themselves into to support a decent living for starters. Thanks all!

rairaiken

Apr 4, 2012
I think your question is too general, i.e., you didn't mention any industry.

The easiest jobs to enter are in retail/fast food/labor jobs. In construction, one needs to have his own vehicle, and sometimes a license to operate certain equipment. You also mentioned Real Estate, did your husband sell properties? Then he needs to have a Realtor license.

Check your local immigrant welcome centre or employment service canada to learn more about your local job market in his specific industry.

On a personal note, what I did was went back to school (co-op program) and gained Canadian experience. I also did lots of volunteer work in my related field. My in-laws didn't want me to look for work in any minimum wage job (yes, they're picky and conscious about their social status), but I would have gotten any minimum wage job (cleaner, retail, fast food, warehouse).

If he's not picky, he can get any job. One of my friends took all kinds (fast food/warehouse/landscaping) while going to school and getting his bachelor's (he's very young, a uni student). Now he's the operations manager of a tech company in Toronto.

rsk8

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2015
AOR Received.
09-12-2015
File Transfer...
29-12-2015 (in process)
Med's Request
gawd, thx none!
Med's Done....
31-08-2015 (upfront)
Interview........
none!
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
23-08-2016
rairaiken said:
The easiest jobs to enter are in retail/fast food/labor jobs.
If he's not picky, he can get any job.
hmm yeah he's not picky & ik there'r jobs out there but my main concern n worry is HOW LIKELY and easy is it for new PR's to get hired fast. :( considering language, canadian experience gaps etc. im worried & kinda dont want him struggling for months before he can get anything :-[ i mean who would...

i was thinking like maybe security or private contract construction jobs? my bro had no exp still goina school & does part time security. i mean that kinda feels like something he can get in as soon as he gets a liscence! *feeling hopeful*