+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job you got after landing in Canada ?

vahidyz

Star Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hi,

This is to discuss about the jobs people got after landing in canada. By this we can get an idea of the job market, the cities which are more popular etc

Apr 28, 2016
Hi

I will land in Canada on a FSW visa in May 2016. I am a banker with 8 years experience in Transaction Banking and I have been applying to various websites (Banks and Financial Firms) looking for an entry level job. So far there has not been a positive response from any one of them.
I think it is near impossible to land up a role from outside of Canada. Will keep trying though. Anyone has nay thoughts suggestions ?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Visit immigrant services centers, job agencies, send LOTS of resumes...

Adiraj123

Mar 30, 2016
Here is my story:
I came to Canada in Aug, 2011 with my parents and my elder brother. I did my MBA and BE from India and soon after my MBA I moved to Canada so I didn't had any work exp. My elder brother is Charted Accountant, India and was working in a MNC in Delhi for almost 3 years when we moved to Toronto. My dad is also a Charted Accountant, India and was at very senior position in a MNC. We knew beforehand (by our relatives living in Toronto) that getting a job in Canada won’t be an easy task no matter how much exp. or educational qualification you have. (As they keep asking you for "Canadian" Exp > :())

Lesson 1 : "Have high hopes but keep in mind that it will be tough"

Therefore we decided that only my brother and I will move to Canada and after we both get settled down, we will ask our dad to quit his job and come to Canada. This way we still had a healthy source of income coming in to the family.

Lesson 2: "Never test the depth of the water with both feet: So keep a good source of income flow " (For 2 person: $2000-$2500 /month)

We both were not married at that time so we rented a basement and started looking for jobs in our field which is Accounting and Finance. Before moving to Toronto we did decide that we won’t look or work for any factory jobs or jobs not in our field of education and experience so our whole focus was just on finance related jobs. If we don't get anything in a year's time we will just move back to India.

Lesson 3: "Have patience and avoid people who give you advice that start working in factories, I know a lot of people who got sucked into that vicious cycle of factory jobs" (Give at least 6 months) No I am not against factory jobs or jobs not related to my field but after having a post-graduation degree, I would not be at all comfortable doing these jobs.

We also started working on getting CPA designation (Just like Charted Accountant in India) while looking for jobs. My brother only had to give 1 exam (out of 3 – which takes a total of 4.5 years) to become a CPA,CA as he already had CA from India but it was not an easy one and required at least 8-10 months of preparation specially for someone new to the Canadian style of education.

Lesson 4: “Give high importance to education, get all your education done within 1-3 years of landing, don't drag it too much, and so be prepared to take on that cost"

So we decided that my brother will sit at home, take classes and clear his CPA as soon as possible meanwhile I was still looking for jobs. After about 3 months I got good opportunity in the finance department of a mid-size company. I was earning enough to take care of all the expenses. Living in a basement is tough so after about 7 months we rented and moved to a nice Condo and things started getting better from there. I also started taking courses for my CPA, and by end of 2012 my brother cleared his CPA and is now a CPA, CA in Canada as well. After his CPA, CA he started looking for a job as well and luckily my company was looking for a Senior Financial Analyst and I referred him to my CFO and after a few interviews he was hired ( So now we were working in the same company , in the same department and he is was kind of my boss ) . Now we both were earning pretty well and I also finished my CPA (Cleared 18 exams in 2 years ) and decided that it is a good time to ask our dad to quit and come over. Soon after that we bought a house and our parents came over in mid-2013, meanwhile my brother and I moved to better jobs in bigger companies. It took a good 8-10 months for my dad (who had over 30 years of exp. at a senior position (CFO) and a good education (B.Com, M.Com and CA, India) to get a decent job in his field and again we were very clear that he won’t go for any factory jobs or jobs not related to his field. (Yes, it was tough for him to sit free all day for 8-10 months which he never had in last 30 years but we always motivated him). After working there for a couple of months and not liking it , my dad resigned and started looking for something better and luckily he got a very good opportunity after about 15 days. So now he is working at a senior position in the finance department of a mid-size transportation company (Indian owned) and is very happy with it, we also opened our own finance and accounting firm which we operate during evenings and weekends and hopefully in next few years we will quit our jobs and get into the firm full time. So that was my story hope you get an idea of what to expect after you come to Canada.

PS : We are a very close knit family (I think this was one major factor in making all this process stress free and smooth) , we don’t believe in this is mine and this is yours , my brother , my parents and me , we all share everything , we all have joint accounts , we have joint properties and we all live together. It has its disadvantages but a lot more advantages and we were all raised in big joint families so we never had a problem with it.

Reactions: Tarundeep Singh

taral80

Jan 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
NSNP Nov 2015
AOR Received.
19th Dec 2015
Passport Req..
22nd April 2016
@adiraj very motivating and thanks for sharing yr experience.

kaizadhans

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Ahmedabad
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
20/04/2016
AOR Received.
10/06/2016
Passport Req..
06/12/2016
Adiraj123 said:
Here is my story:
I came to Canada in Aug, 2011 with my parents and my elder brother. I did my MBA and BE from India and soon after my MBA I moved to Canada so I didn't had any work exp. My elder brother is Charted Accountant, India and was working in a MNC in Delhi for almost 3 years when we moved to Toronto. My dad is also a Charted Accountant, India and was at very senior position in a MNC. We knew beforehand (by our relatives living in Toronto) that getting a job in Canada won’t be an easy task no matter how much exp. or educational qualification you have. (As they keep asking you for "Canadian" Exp > :())

Therefore we decided that only my brother and I will move to Canada and after we both get settled down, we will ask our dad to quit his job and come to Canada. This way we still had a healthy source of income coming in to the family.

Lesson 2: "Never test the depth of the water with both feet: So keep a good source of income flow " (For 2 person: $2000-$2500 /month)

We both were not married at that time so we rented a basement and started looking for jobs in our field which is Accounting and Finance. Before moving to Toronto we did decide that we won’t look or work for any factory jobs or jobs not in our field of education and experience so our whole focus was just on finance related jobs. If we don't get anything in a year's time we will just move back to India.

Lesson 3: "Have patience and avoid people who give you advice that start working in factories, I know a lot of people who got sucked into that vicious cycle of factory jobs" (Give at least 6 months) No I am not against factory jobs or jobs not related to my field but after having a post-graduation degree, I would not be at all comfortable doing these jobs.

We also started working on getting CPA designation (Just like Charted Accountant in India) while looking for jobs. My brother only had to give 1 exam (out of 3 – which takes a total of 4.5 years) to become a CPA,CA as he already had CA from India but it was not an easy one and required at least 8-10 months of preparation specially for someone new to the Canadian style of education.

Lesson 4: “Give high importance to education, get all your education done within 1-3 years of landing, don't drag it too much, and so be prepared to take on that cost"

So we decided that my brother will sit at home, take classes and clear his CPA as soon as possible meanwhile I was still looking for jobs. After about 3 months I got good opportunity in the finance department of a mid-size company. I was earning enough to take care of all the expenses. Living in a basement is tough so after about 7 months we rented and moved to a nice Condo and things started getting better from there. I also started taking courses for my CPA, and by end of 2012 my brother cleared his CPA and is now a CPA, CA in Canada as well. After his CPA, CA he started looking for a job as well and luckily my company was looking for a Senior Financial Analyst and I referred him to my CFO and after a few interviews he was hired ( So now we were working in the same company , in the same department and he is was kind of my boss ) . Now we both were earning pretty well and I also finished my CPA (Cleared 18 exams in 2 years ) and decided that it is a good time to ask our dad to quit and come over. Soon after that we bought a house and our parents came over in mid-2013, meanwhile my brother and I moved to better jobs in bigger companies. It took a good 8-10 months for my dad (who had over 30 years of exp. at a senior position (CFO) and a good education (B.Com, M.Com and CA, India) to get a decent job in his field and again we were very clear that he won’t go for any factory jobs or jobs not related to his field. (Yes, it was tough for him to sit free all day for 8-10 months which he never had in last 30 years but we always motivated him). After working there for a couple of months and not liking it , my dad resigned and started looking for something better and luckily he got a very good opportunity after about 15 days. So now he is working at a senior position in the finance department of a mid-size transportation company (Indian owned) and is very happy with it, we also opened our own finance and accounting firm which we operate during evenings and weekends and hopefully in next few years we will quit our jobs and get into the firm full time. So that was my story hope you get an idea of what to expect after you come to Canada.

PS : We are a very close knit family (I think this was one major factor in making all this process stress free and smooth) , we don’t believe in this is mine and this is yours , my brother , my parents and me , we all share everything , we all have joint accounts , we have joint properties and we all live together. It has its disadvantages but a lot more advantages and we were all raised in big joint families so we never had a problem with it.
very motivating bro. All the best

Mr Singh

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
To be Filed
Doc's Request.
Soon
Nomination.....
Soon
AOR Received.
Soon
IELTS Request
7.5,7,6,7=7
File Transfer...
Soon
Med's Request
Soon
Med's Done....
Soon
Interview........
Soon
Passport Req..
Soon
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
Adiraj123 said:
Here is my story:

Truly motivating that's what I call power of togetherness....

red988

Jul 17, 2016
Thank you for sharing such a motivational story. I hope it is all still going well for you and your family. Congratulations

Mrudul

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2016
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
Med's Done....
11-11-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
Very motivating.

Is CPA and CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) same.

kamransaeed15

Sep 26, 2016
islamabad
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thats quite motivating.but to avoid factory jobs one must have sufficient funds available for survival,like in your case you have but i think with limited funds one starts thinking for factory jobs when funds are getting short and no sign of jobs so in this case one should opt for factory job

AlternativeConn

Star Member
Dec 13, 2016
If you know any friends and family members who have been approved for Canadian permanent residency and is planning to land in Canada soon, the Canadian Employment Connections (CEC) program at ACCES Employment can provide you with virtual employment services and help you build Canadian employer connection even before your arrival in Canada

This program is free of charge and is funded by the Government of Canada.

If you have post-secondary education and at least one year of work experience in the Financial Services, Human Resources, Engineering, Information Technology, Sales & Marketing, or Supply Chain sector, then you can benefit from the Canadian Employment Connections (CEC) program.

If you are interested, please message me or reply to this post and we can connect.

Reactions: R@jshekar

Blowtouch

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
Adiraj123 said:
Here is my story:

Great Story, Beautiful Family culture. Cheers