+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job switching.

frederique

Aug 5, 2016
Hello there!

I am about to take CELPIP and start doing the Express Entry of BCPNP Entry Level Skilled Worker.

I currently working at a small hotel as a Front Desk Agent for over 1 years already, and now I got another job offer with a better pay at a bigger hotel as a Hotel Reservation Agent.

Is it that okay for me to switch the job or I have to stick with the current one when I am about to apply?

Thank you very much for your time!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
frederique said:
I am about to take CELPIP and start doing the Express Entry of a Entry Level Skilled.

I currently working at a small hotel as a Front Desk Agent for over 1 years already, and now I got another job offer with a better pay at a bigger hotel as a Hotel Reservation Agent.

Is it that okay for me to switch the job or I have to stick with the current one when I am about to apply?

Thank you very much for your time!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Express Entry programs are for people with "skilled" work experience, defined by IRCC as having an NOC Level of O, A, or B.
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/Matrix.aspx

Unfortunately, Hotel Front Desk Agent is classified as NOC 6525, which is skill level C -
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=6&val1=6525&val65=hotel

In other words, the year you have spent working in that occupation cannot be used to meet the requirements of EE or the Canadian Experience Class (I'm assuming you're in Canada because you mentioned the CELPIP exam).

Hotel Reservation Agent is classified under the same NOC. In your field, you would have to work as a supervisor/manager to be considered "skilled".

By all means, go for the promotion (as long as you are on an open work permit). But it won't benefit you under the EE program.

The good news is, your work experience should open doors to more skilled experience. Good luck -

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe OP's applying for BC PNP under the semi-skilled category, which includes low skill level hospitality jobs.

The BC PNP requirements clearly state that you must "have been working full-time for your employer for a minimum of 9 consecutive months prior to submitting your application to the BC PNP".

frederique

Aug 5, 2016
jes_ON said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Express Entry programs are for people with "skilled" work experience, defined by IRCC as having an NOC Level of O, A, or B.
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/Matrix.aspx

Unfortunately, Hotel Front Desk Agent is classified as NOC 6525, which is skill level C -
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=6&val1=6525&val65=hotel

In other words, the year you have spent working in that occupation cannot be used to meet the requirements of EE or the Canadian Experience Class (I'm assuming you're in Canada because you mentioned the CELPIP exam).

Hotel Reservation Agent is classified under the same NOC. In your field, you would have to work as a supervisor/manager to be considered "skilled".

By all means, go for the promotion (as long as you are on an open work permit). But it won't benefit you under the EE program.

The good news is, your work experience should open doors to more skilled experience. Good luck -
Thank you for the information! I am sorry that I did not make my statement clear enough, I am actually about to apply British Columbia PNP of Entry Level Skilled Worker, and Front Desk Agent is applicable. I am just not sure if I still eligible to apply if I switch my job.

frederique

Aug 5, 2016
istari said:
I believe OP's applying for BC PNP under the semi-skilled category, which includes low skill level hospitality jobs.

The BC PNP requirements clearly state that you must "have been working full-time for your employer for a minimum of 9 consecutive months prior to submitting your application to the BC PNP".
Thank you so much for revising my statement, since I did not make it clear enough! Sorry! Yes, it reflects to British Columbia PNP Entry Level Skilled Worker, I have been working at my current job full time over 1 year consecutive already. But now I got another job offer with a better pay, I am just wondering if I am still eligible to apply BCPNP as a new job title of Hotel Reservation Agent. Any advises? Many thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
istari said:

Ah so - thanks. So to the OP, Frederique - you should post in the PNP forum instead of the Express Entry forum, so that you will find more people who are knowledgeable about your program -

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/provincial-nomination-program-immigration-b6.0/

In response to your question, read pp. 26-27 -
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/14a55c84-1301-4959-8a5d-888785a2ac2a/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration-and-Express-Entry-BC-Program-Guide.aspx

"You must maintain full-time employment with your employer in B.C. throughout both the BC PNP and
the permanent residence processes.

Registrants who are no longer authorized to work for the supporting B.C. employer at the time they
receive an invitation to apply, and who maintain legal status in Canada (e.g. as a visitor) or leave
Canada, may submit an application provided they meet the following:
 1. the requirement for 9 months of full-time employment on a valid work permit in B.C. was
met at the time of current registration
AND
 2. the job offer remains valid throughout the current registration and application process

The employer must also demonstrate ongoing recruitment for the vacant position during the period
when the registrant is not authorized to work."

frederique

Aug 5, 2016
jes_ON said:
Ah so - thanks. So to the OP, Frederique - you should post in the PNP forum instead of the Express Entry forum, so that you will find more people who are knowledgeable about your program -

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/provincial-nomination-program-immigration-b6.0/

In response to your question, read pp. 26-27 -
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/14a55c84-1301-4959-8a5d-888785a2ac2a/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration-and-Express-Entry-BC-Program-Guide.aspx

"You must maintain full-time employment with your employer in B.C. throughout both the BC PNP and
the permanent residence processes.

Registrants who are no longer authorized to work for the supporting B.C. employer at the time they
receive an invitation to apply, and who maintain legal status in Canada (e.g. as a visitor) or leave
Canada, may submit an application provided they meet the following:
 1. the requirement for 9 months of full-time employment on a valid work permit in B.C. was
met at the time of current registration
AND
 2. the job offer remains valid throughout the current registration and application process

The employer must also demonstrate ongoing recruitment for the vacant position during the period
when the registrant is not authorized to work."
Thank you so much! I am not even aware that I am at the wrong spot, I will switch the topic over to the right spot. Thank you for your help in advance!