AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Hello All, If after COPR , valid visa date is near to expiry, Can we land in canada , complete PR process/ SIN and come back to US and keep job searching.Once we get a job we can move to Canada, Also if any personal interview required can we have multiple entries to Canada and come back till we get a final job offer - Please suggest
Yes, this is called a soft landing and it is very common. You will need to make sure you get your CoPR signed before the expiration date on your CoPR. Once this is done, you are a permanent resident of Canada and no longer need a visa to enter Canada.

However, the tricky part is re-entering Canada without a PR card, since PR cards take several months to process and most people who do a soft landing do not stay in Canada for that long. You will need a PRTD (and CoPR and passport) to travel back to Canada without your PR card unless you are crossing by land in a private vehicle, in which case you only need your CoPR and passport. You will need to do this each time you travel back to Canada until you have your PR card. The only exception is if you are a US citizen.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Yes, this is called a soft landing and it is very common. You will need to make sure you get your CoPR signed before the expiration date on your CoPR. Once this is done, you are a permanent resident of Canada and no longer need a visa to enter Canada.

However, the tricky part is re-entering Canada without a PR card, since PR cards take several months to process and most people who do a soft landing do not stay in Canada for that long. You will need a PRTD (and CoPR and passport) to travel back to Canada without your PR card unless you are crossing by land in a private vehicle, in which case you only need your CoPR and passport. You will need to do this each time you travel back to Canada until you have your PR card. The only exception is if you are a US citizen.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
Thank you very much, i think applying PRTD for each time for any interviews may be difficult as interview may not be exactly planned or as per your comment driving through Car is better way. Thank you once again

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Thank you very much, i think applying PRTD for each time for any interviews may be difficult as interview may not be exactly planned or as per your comment driving through Car is better way. Thank you once again
I actually just saw that you can get a multiple entry PRTD, so maybe that will help you if you go that route. It does take a while to obtain, though, so for the first trip you'd likely have to drive.

I'm renewing my passport soon but looking for jobs, so unfortunately I think any interviews for me will have to wait for a while unless they're willing to do it over Skype. :( Terrible timing.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
PRTD is usually for multiple entry, and valid for 6 months. Got the info from immigration officer at Canada Embassy.
Unless specified otherwise of course.

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
I actually just saw that you can get a multiple entry PRTD, so maybe that will help you if you go that route. It does take a while to obtain, though, so for the first trip you'd likely have to drive.

I'm renewing my passport soon but looking for jobs, so unfortunately I think any interviews for me will have to wait for a while unless they're willing to do it over Skype. :( Terrible timing.
Thank you!

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
PRTD is usually for multiple entry, and valid for 6 months. Got the info from immigration officer at Canada Embassy.
Unless specified otherwise of course.
Thank you, One query if you are aware of H1 Visa situation - if H1 Primary applicant has H1 visa stamped on passport and H4 dependent do not have visa Stamped but have approved I797. Can we do a soft landing in Canada by road and after 2-3 days - can H4 enter USA with Approved I797 but no H4 visa on passport by road along with H1 Primary applicant.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thank you, One query if you are aware of H1 Visa situation - if H1 Primary applicant has H1 visa stamped on passport and H4 dependent do not have visa Stamped but have approved I797. Can we do a soft landing in Canada by road and after 2-3 days - can H4 enter USA with Approved I797 but no H4 visa on passport by road along with H1 Primary applicant.
It depends! Cousin went through the same deal once.
If the H4 dependent doesn't have a previously stamped and valid H4 visa, then no! He/She cannot use the I-797 alone to re-enter the US because the visa wasn't issued and stamped yet. Visa needs to be stamped in passport.

I also believe dependent will still be required to visit a consulate in home country to have visa stamped.

I remember reading somewhere in a I-797 something like "This form is not a visa and cannot be used in lieu of a visa."

Last edited:

AK11503

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
If the H4 dependent doesn't have a previously stamped and valid H4 visa, then no! He/She cannot use the I-797 alone to re-enter the US because the visa wasn't issued and stamped yet. Visa needs to be stamped in passport.
I also believe dependent will still be required to visit a consulate in home country to have visa stamped.
Thank you very much!

Tiwana350

Feb 28, 2018

I remember reading somewhere in a I-797 something like "This form is not a visa and cannot be used in lieu of a visa."
Hi,
I am coming from India and I wish to do soft landing for PR but there is a great chance that I will be in USA on visitor visa before that.

My question is can I enter Canada from land border and get the formalities done at the land border itself or I will be required to go back to India and take a flight back to Canada.

Kindly help in clarification.

Thanks

Tiwana350

Feb 28, 2018
Hi,
I am coming from India and I wish to do soft landing for PR but there is a great chance that I will be in USA on visitor visa before that.

My question is can I enter Canada from land border and get the formalities done at the land border itself or I will be required to go back to India and take a flight back to Canada.

Thanks
tagging some of the seniors for assistance on my query @scylla @canuck_in_uk @deadbird @Bryanna @canuck78

Tiwana350

Feb 28, 2018
Hi,

Thanks
tagging for assistance @zardoz and @APPNOV2014NY

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

Thanks
You can do it at any reasonable sized border crossing with the USA. You do not need to be coming direct from India.

Reactions: Tiwana350

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi,

Thanks
Of course, you can cross the US-->Canada border to do your landing formalities.

Reactions: Tiwana350

kunalmanohar

Oct 13, 2017
Hey @canuck78

Just a quick question

My PR application is approved and will recieve my stamped passport and COPR within a day or 2, as it has been dispatched from IRCC Delhi to my local VAC.

My query is, if i get a job offer after my COPR is issued, do i still need to show the minimum funds amount (as per the FSW program) after landing in canada to the immigration officer OR the job offer will suffice the requirement...??

I am not able to find the exact answer for my query

Awaiting your reply, Thanks in advance